Church camp Sunday silver

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My intent was to go out to the woods yesterday, to my 1800's foundation, to do a little different kind of treasure hunting. With Junior and Miss halfdime in tow, we were going to do some sifting around the foundation, trying to snare marbles, glass and who knows what other kinds of relics. We arrived at my mother's house (nearby), and were all loaded up when the very loud sound of close gunfire killed our plan. There isn't supposed to be gunplay in the woods on Sunday, so I was very perturbed about it!>:( Quickly arriving at Plan B, we headed over to a church camp where I spent lots of time as a youth and plenty more as an adult with my detector. The best find of the day, in an area that is probably littered with rings and other jewelry, was this silver ring. One of these days I'll have to commit to just digging every signal in the area and be willing to harvest pull-tabs with the occasional gold or silver. The odd thing about this ring is that it rang up more in the penny range; typically, silver rings yell "quarter" on my XLT. I also gathered $2.55 in clad, so it wasn't a complete washout. I've worn myself out at the foundation with little to show for the effort (a couple Indians, 1840 large cent, a discovered privy), so maybe the gunshots were a blessing. I really want to get out there, though, and try my luck again.

Attachments

• suncrestsilver 001 (Small).jpg
    suncrestsilver 001 (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 124
  • suncrestsilver 002 (Small).jpg
    suncrestsilver 002 (Small).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 113
  • suncrestsilver 003 (Small).jpg
    suncrestsilver 003 (Small).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 109
  • suncrestsilver 004 (Small).jpg
    suncrestsilver 004 (Small).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 107
  • suncrestsilver 005 (Small).jpg
    suncrestsilver 005 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a beautiful ring! I would go back & look for more. How did u get permission to hunt it? there are several church camps around here, but can never find anyone to ask permission.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
that is a beautiful ring! I would go back & look for more. How did u get permission to hunt it? there are several church camps around here, but can never find anyone to ask permission.
As I mentioned, I grew up at the camp (my relatives actually gave the land and get it back if it ever ceases to be a church camp) and I knew that nobody would have a problem with what I was doing. Over the years, I've run into trustees and other people who oversee the camp and they're always accommodating. In fact, I've been able to provide information about the camp they weren't aware of. I'm part of the denomination that owns the camp, and know personally many of our denomination's leaders, so I can always refer to them if needed. It's never been needed.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it! It looks old, is it marked "sterling" or .925? If it is marked sterling it is most likely older. What kind of stone do you suppose that is?

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I like it! It looks old, is it marked "sterling" or .925? If it is marked sterling it is most likely older. What kind of stone do you suppose that is?

It's 925; I wouldn't have a clue about the stone! I do know it isn't a diamond.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring, halfdime! It has a Victorian look to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread