CONFEDERATE BUTTON: NORTH CAROLINA SUNBURST! OTHER RELICS FROM THE FIELD.

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks, it was a beautiful friday for detecting in Hillsborough, NC. I was graciously invited to hunt my friend Evan's family's land which is about 3000 acres, just north of town. We had a pretty consistent day of digging. I had to share his button find, it is a North Carolina Sunburst one piece button! He dug it about 20 minutes into our first hunt, not even 100 feet from the foundation of an 1820s home. It has been hammered flat, and drilled five times. When he dug it he called me over and said he either had a shotgun shell top or a thin flat button. He handed it to me and I cleaned it off, and it cleaned up nicely, revealing the "NC" letters in the center. What a BEAUTIFUL button, even though it has been abused, and left in the dirt for 150 years to rot.

After we left that site, we went to the "field" site and we hunted until the moonlight was all we had. My finds included 4 flat buttons, one is a colonial tombac button. There is a really good looking gold gilted buton, but all the gilt has come off leaving the letters. I like the look of it. I dug a tiny thimble, a strap guide(or this is what they have been id'ed as?), a chunk of lead, a tiny pants button, some silver plated brass, a small piece of a toe plate, and an odd brass saw blade. I even got a broken up harmonica reed. I found two large pieces of brass that have yet to be ID'ed, and several pieces of iron. I think that the iron rings that I found are horse bits. I found three worn horseshoes, half of a hand forged pair of pliers, and a hand forged tool of some sort. I found ten black powder 12 gauges headstamps. Two are UMC co club with single ring, two are UMC co club with double ring, three are UMC co new club no star no ring, one is UMC co nitro club, and lastly one is the latest UMC co new club by remington. Hopefully turtlefoot sees this grand slam of headstamps.

I would ask you to look at the Iron buckle near the bottom of my pictures. It is obviously silver plated. My question is, what is it? Second, is it worth anything, because if it is not, I am going to peel the silver off, because it is laid on there thick!

Lastly, I eyeballed a deer antler, I keep them when I find them.

I had a pretty good day, and evan had an even better one. His totals for buttons today were seven, including the sunburst.
Thanks for looking yall!

IMAG0434-1.jpg IMAG0435-1.jpg
North Carolina Sunburst Button!
IMAG0436-1.jpg
Treble Gilt Stand'd Colour
IMAG0437.jpg
IMAG0438.jpg
Tiny thimble
IMAG0439.jpg
??Strap guide??
IMAG0440.jpg
IMAG0441.jpg
Ninjey star
IMAG0442.jpg
Harmonica reed
IMAG0443.jpg
left to right: hand forged tool, three iron horse bits, three broken horseshoes, hand made key, and half of a hand forged set of pliers
IMAG0444.jpg
UMC co headstamps, black powdered
IMAG0445.jpg
Thick brass stuff
IMAG0446.jpg
Bambi's shed

Attachments

• IMAG0444.jpg
    IMAG0444.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck of a nice haul! You had a great day!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from Granville County NC! Great finds, enjoy your posts. What a great find on the sunburst, still on my bucket list. I live in Charlotte now... Slim pickings.... I love to come back to the area to hunt. Hillsboro is such a historic place. I used to reenact and frequent Alamance Battleground frequently... Thanks for sharing & HH!

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We will see about hooking you up with my relic partner. He lives in charlotte too. Maybe between the two of yall, you can put some sites together. Thanks for the kind words!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FoundInNC said:
We will see about hooking you up with my relic partner. He lives in charlotte too. Maybe between the two of yall, you can put some sites together. Thanks for the kind words!

That would be great! I do find some good places to hunt but usually outside of town.... PM me, it's always good to make new friends!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread