Ultra rare 1895- O barber, plus war of 1812 artillery button. MUST SEE

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi my name is scott newman... you fellow t-netters know me as scottso. I am a 14 year old boy who is extremely passionate about history. I have been metal detecting since I was 6. My first metal detector was a cheap bounty hunter unfortunatly I lost intrest for a while until Bill fisher aka Bookfisher got me back into this hobby at 8. What got me hooked was when I found a 1939 washington quarter at my uncles 1820's farm house on the east end Long Island.

Recently I gained permission to a local Orchard where I live. The orchard only dates back to the turn of the century(1890's-1900's), (Little did I know that their was a colonial foundation in the woods in front of the orchard). So i turn on ol'faithful ( minelab x terra 505) and got detecting.. a few signals here and their, only a couple of wheeties. So i decide to go away from the orchard house and twards the entrance of the orchard. As I'm working my way down I get a signal, not too weak but not to strong, and a high 36 VDI. I dig a 7 inch plug and out pops a 1700's coat button. Naturally I started to get excited, so I keep following a path until I get into a clearing. I detect around for about eh,,,, 15 minutes or so.. I get a bangin signal 39-42, which on the x-terra Is usually a coppa or a dime, I dig about 8 inches and as I'm searching with my pin pointer... I glance over, to my delight a 1781 kg III colonial copper. NOW I'm EXCITED.
I scan around that area for about another hour without much luck. So as the sun sets i realize Im out of time, so I call my dad

NEXT DAY... After school, I ride my bike with detector packed in my back-pack and shovel in hand to the orchard. Once I arrive I go directly to the clearing. I set up the detector, get it ground balanced, and start detecting, right of the bat, a 20mm button without a shank, I put it in my pocket and keep going. Little did I know it would turn out to be a war of 1812 artillary button. I dig a few other buttons. After about 10 minutes since the last signal I got a jumpy can/ coin range signal. I dig a small plug. Boom a 1895 dime.. At the time I had not checked if it had an O mint mark. Being the Dumb A** that I am i rub it. I put it in my pocket and keep going. As light starts to fade I make one last effort to find something. so I walk into the wood, to my surprise I find a colonial foundation, not 30 yards from a main road.. I have always wanted to detect a cellar hole. heavymetalnut has always made me jelouse with his almost 100 coppa a year tally, so I thought its my lucky day. BOOM first signal 1746 brown bess trigger gaurd, in amazing condition. As the sun sets I call my dad and he picks me up. I look back on those days as one of my best..

But wait... the 1895 dime.
After i get home I rinse it and check the mint mark... "O" Not realizing the significance of the find I put it down and go on youtube to watch bill ladd dig up some amazing relics.
Just for fun I look up "1895-O dime " . I click the first link and start to read. " only 440,000 minted, more than half melted, rarest of the barber dime series"
I rad up stairs and got my "Red Book" I find it and 375 dollars in g-4 condition. for all of you coin experts. g-4 S.U.C.K.S mine was in at least fine.. with a full liberty visible. Its worth over 800 dollars. But I will save it so that my kids can enjoy it as much as I have.. Metal detecting is the best hobby. for me its a passion. :icon_thumright: 025.JPG 026.JPG 028.JPG 034.JPG 038.JPG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqUVixV1z0

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 12

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Scottso,
Don't beat your self up about the rubbing, no one rubs coins more than I. The more important thing is that you found it and didn't nick it with your trowel. :icon_thumright:
Way to go with the dream find. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup. thanks for banner vote. if the 1877 indian is important this is just as.. its the holy grail of barber dimes

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your finds! I love watching the video as you found the copper,it made me smile hearing the excitement in your voice. I really need to move up North or at least visit,Nashville is so young.

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sure.. stop by if your ever in ny pm if so GL HH

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on finding a fantastic key date coin!

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you thank you ... no need for applause:tongue3:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Great scores. love the video and great place to be Long Island N Y

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very impressed with your love of detecting, and keen interest in history! Being patient enough to not rub coins comes with time. I used to rub coins, almost instantly out of habit...GOTTA see that date! This season (my 3rd season) I promised myself I wouldn't rub any coins, and it sure paid off. I also dug a key date Barber dime this summer (1903s), it's in XF-AU condition. If I would have dug that dime in my first season, I almost certainly would have rubbed the snot out of it.

Your coin is a real beauty, what a fantastic find, and you deserve it!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Scott :icon_thumright: when you called me to tell me about the dime you nearly blew my ear drums out lol i could tell you were excited . Great key date find Banner for sure . See you Sunday morning Jim

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks... From now on I will not rub a dime or any other silver. ever
:occasion14:

That's good news! For all fans of the wonderful finds you're going to pull.

One thing though, there is a sneaky way they get "rubbed" too. Besides with your fingers, they can get sandpapered in one's pocket as well. But, where I've seen most damage occur is while scooping out the hole. Either the digger gets it or when you try to clear the loose dirt from the hole you might be dragging right across the coin. Just need to give the target a fairly wide birth as always and try to be very aware of just how close you're getting to it when moving soil.

Once I ruined a perfectly marvelous silver dime by scooping out dirt with my hand and I noticed the glove rake right across the face. Pushed several tiny rocks right across the face, scratching it deeply. :(

Just good to be a bit of an amateur archie sometimes. Treat each hole as if it's going to be that 20 dollar gold piece. ;)
Thanks for sharing such wonderful finds!

HH!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14::notworthy::headbang: Speechless !!! Congrats !!!!!!!

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! I have a very similar story as you! Started hunting at 7 with a cheap Bounty Hunter jr. Lost interest for a while, then I just got back into it again. Now Im 14 and have an Ace 150! Love those finds!!!!!!!!!!!! HH!!!!!!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the great Coin and Button.
post a nice photo of the barber for your banner pic !

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good luck ... no the orchard is mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you looking to upgrade from the ace, I would get an x terra... great detector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread