Ultra rare 1895- O barber, plus war of 1812 artillery button. MUST SEE

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi my name is scott newman... you fellow t-netters know me as scottso. I am a 14 year old boy who is extremely passionate about history. I have been metal detecting since I was 6. My first metal detector was a cheap bounty hunter unfortunatly I lost intrest for a while until Bill fisher aka Bookfisher got me back into this hobby at 8. What got me hooked was when I found a 1939 washington quarter at my uncles 1820's farm house on the east end Long Island.

Recently I gained permission to a local Orchard where I live. The orchard only dates back to the turn of the century(1890's-1900's), (Little did I know that their was a colonial foundation in the woods in front of the orchard). So i turn on ol'faithful ( minelab x terra 505) and got detecting.. a few signals here and their, only a couple of wheeties. So i decide to go away from the orchard house and twards the entrance of the orchard. As I'm working my way down I get a signal, not too weak but not to strong, and a high 36 VDI. I dig a 7 inch plug and out pops a 1700's coat button. Naturally I started to get excited, so I keep following a path until I get into a clearing. I detect around for about eh,,,, 15 minutes or so.. I get a bangin signal 39-42, which on the x-terra Is usually a coppa or a dime, I dig about 8 inches and as I'm searching with my pin pointer... I glance over, to my delight a 1781 kg III colonial copper. NOW I'm EXCITED.
I scan around that area for about another hour without much luck. So as the sun sets i realize Im out of time, so I call my dad

NEXT DAY... After school, I ride my bike with detector packed in my back-pack and shovel in hand to the orchard. Once I arrive I go directly to the clearing. I set up the detector, get it ground balanced, and start detecting, right of the bat, a 20mm button without a shank, I put it in my pocket and keep going. Little did I know it would turn out to be a war of 1812 artillary button. I dig a few other buttons. After about 10 minutes since the last signal I got a jumpy can/ coin range signal. I dig a small plug. Boom a 1895 dime.. At the time I had not checked if it had an O mint mark. Being the Dumb A** that I am i rub it. I put it in my pocket and keep going. As light starts to fade I make one last effort to find something. so I walk into the wood, to my surprise I find a colonial foundation, not 30 yards from a main road.. I have always wanted to detect a cellar hole. heavymetalnut has always made me jelouse with his almost 100 coppa a year tally, so I thought its my lucky day. BOOM first signal 1746 brown bess trigger gaurd, in amazing condition. As the sun sets I call my dad and he picks me up. I look back on those days as one of my best..

But wait... the 1895 dime.
After i get home I rinse it and check the mint mark... "O" Not realizing the significance of the find I put it down and go on youtube to watch bill ladd dig up some amazing relics.
Just for fun I look up "1895-O dime " . I click the first link and start to read. " only 440,000 minted, more than half melted, rarest of the barber dime series"
I rad up stairs and got my "Red Book" I find it and 375 dollars in g-4 condition. for all of you coin experts. g-4 S.U.C.K.S mine was in at least fine.. with a full liberty visible. Its worth over 800 dollars. But I will save it so that my kids can enjoy it as much as I have.. Metal detecting is the best hobby. for me its a passion. :icon_thumright: 025.JPG 026.JPG 028.JPG 034.JPG 038.JPG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqUVixV1z0

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 12

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find a alot of great advice.

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
C'mon! It's the crown jewel of (findable) Barber dimes! Somebody get this Kool Kid on the banner!!

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys.. and bill'

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm counting at least 8 solid BANNER votes here!!! Come on folks! Let's get him up top!!!! He'll be out hunting all of us soon. Crusader, he's after your belt, give the kid a step towards a title shot with a big ol' BANNER vote:hello2:!!! (don't worry Cru, he still has a few finds to go before he gets the real title shot)
But hey, welcome to the Big Leagues kid!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oxbowbarefoot said:
I'm counting at least 8 solid BANNER votes here!!! Come on folks! Let's get him up top!!!! He'll be out hunting all of us soon. Crusader, he's after your belt, give the kid a step towards a title shot with a big ol' BANNER vote:hello2:!!! (don't worry Cru, he still has a few finds to go before he gets the real title shot)
But hey, welcome to the Big Leagues kid!

Do I repost to get him up to the top for a banner? Hope so!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Do I repost to get him up to the top for a banner? Hope so!

On his initial post in the thread, click on the red Nominate Banner button on the upper right. Explain why YOU think it should be a BANNER find. The powers at be will likely consider it, it may or may not make it. I hope so, I think this find deserves to be up there.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oxbowbarefoot said:
On his initial post in the thread, click on the red Nominate Banner button on the upper right. Explain why YOU think it should be a BANNER find. The powers at be will likely consider it, it may or may not make it. I hope so, I think this find deserves to be up there.

Thanks Oxbow,will do.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds!

OP
OP