1790s Colonial Site.....Gives up more coins !!!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1790's Colonial Site.....Gives up more coins !!!

Going back to one of my favorite sites this weekend was a no brainer…With the weather here in western N.Y. in the upper 40’s and the sun just beaming, I decided that this weekend I would head back to the Old Colonial site near the town of Genesee. Back in the 1790’s this small village and its near 300 Pioneers lived and farmed this land. As the years went by, the people that lived there started to leave this once proud town and moved to bigger and faster growing cities. So the small village just slowly faded away in the 1800’s…. Now all that remains are a cow pasture and farm fields!

PA120040 700x525.jpg

Now going back to this site would not be the same without Timmy and Jeff. Last night I got in touch with them both and they decided to meet me at the site Sunday morning. So when we arrived we had a quick chat and made our way out to the pasture. This is the first time Jeff had been to this site…In the past he had plans and was unable to make the last couple outings.

We knew this was going to be a good day. …When we walked out into the pasture and were not running for our lives being chased by the Bull; like Timmy was the last time he was here. lolol So now we started hunting. We all went in our own directions and after a couple of hours we had at least one coin each…I found a Colonial copper that was in very rough shape. ……Then a short time later the FLAT BUTTON! :o What would a site like this be without these old buttons? It was an early London (plated). Now as lunch approached I made my way towards the trucks meeting Tim on the way and would you know it another good hit…so as I dug down out popped another Colonial Copper and this one again was Silver-plated. This is the second one I have found at this site that had been plated…. For what reason?

So now Tim and I arrived back at the truck. With Jeff already there, we looked at the coins and had something to eat. We talked about our finds and back we went into the field. I headed to an area that had given up plenty of coins in the past. …And again moments later out came the 1848 Coronet large cent. This one in nice condition.

PA120043 700x525.jpg

After a few more buttons I took a little break and just talked with Tim for awhile, then we continued…With the day getting late and the sun starting to go down I headed back to where one of the old pioneer cabins once stood…Remains of some old stone, pigs teeth, red brick pieces and pottery have been found when digging in this area. So towards the front of the cabin I went, and bam I got a great hit, dug down and out came this 1803 Flowing Haired Large Cent in good shape. Now we’re talking, these coins are one of my favorite …… :)

PA120062 700x525.jpg

So as I continued only five feet away, I got another hit. This one was the best! With Timmy not far away, I called him over to take a look at this one. It was right on edge and in the side of the hole …Now when it comes to detecting you want to dig all those weird but constant signals. This one was different and I almost left it. So as I picked it up and wiped the dirt off, I was happy with what I saw…1812… Now all I thought of was “The war of 1812”. But who knows…I have no idea what this coin or Token is! All I know I do not have one in my collection and it is a keeper! :) :) ;) Thanks to Wess .....I now know its a Tiffin token , this site gives more info on this piece! http://www.glencoin.com/Observat.htm

PA120047 700x525.jpg
PA120059 700x525.jpg
PA120060 700x525.jpg

The glass pieces are from an early blown glass bottle that I happen to find while digging.It is a shame that these nice bottles are always broken and very rarely found intact?

PA120050 700x525.jpg

With the day now getting very late and Tim’s battery pack dead, it’s a good time to head home and make plans for the trip back. I would say we all had a great day. Both Jeff and Tim found some nice finds and I’m sure will be talking about them here in Tnet soon……. ! :) :) :)

The Seeker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1790's Colonial Site.....Gives up more coins !!!

Here is the picture of the Old Bottle that I dug while detecting this site....

PA120045 700x525.jpg

The Seeker

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! :) Your unknown 1812...is what is called a "Tiffin Token" These were actually made in 1832...but the date of 1812 was used in order to get around a law preventing the importation of tokens into Canada from the England.

Based on the design of yours however, I would say it's an imitation...so it was made anywhere from 1832-1836.

A pretty common find here in Canada...but probably not so much in the U.S.
Nice find :)

Wess

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Excellent job as always. The area you are hunting is rich in history and you should be able to dig quite a few more of those wonderful coins from that site.That 1803 is a beauty and the 1812 just a great coin to add to your collection.
I found a picture of the Tiffin coin on Ebay. Looks like a twin to the one you found.
Congrats to you all. Cant wait to see what Tim and Jeff found.What a great day for you all.
Found this article also at , http://www.glencoin.com/presentation_to_glendale_coin_club.htm

........the original issue struck by Halliday for Joseph Tiffin, a Montreal merchant in 1832, and the many imitations in both brass and copper. In total Courteau lists about 25 or so varieties. Again, notice the antedating to 1812 in order to evade anti-importation regulations.

Also found this :
http://www.collectorcafe.com/article_archive.asp?article=180&id=1652
Article by......Observations on a Tiffin Token
By Greg Burns

He has been collecting Canadian colonial for several years......

Attachments

• tiffin 1812.jpg
    tiffin 1812.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,209

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow seeker real nice finds and big congrats on your whole post and pics

tinpan :o :o :o

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very..Very...Nice Seeker! Nice layout of pictures too! Hope to see more in the future!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

outstanding!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Seek,

good finds.

Enjoyed your post.

"Now all that remains are a cow pasture and
farm fields!" AND........

Yes, yes, yes ;D

have a good un......

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What an excellent post Seeker ! Felt like I was right their with you....congratulations on the finds and thanks for sharing!

HH on your return trip/NS

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL

What great finds.Those are some awesome coins.Really nice pictures and post.Makes us feel like we're there hunting with you.Thanks for sharing.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Great finds. ;D ;D Those Draped Bust Large Cents are also one of my favorates. They are kinda pricey to buy. The 1812 Coin is a great unique find. What a great place to hunt. Thanks for the nice write up and pics.

Bob

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

WOW WOW WOW... What incredible finds.. And what a beautiful site to hunt.... One of the greatest aspects of this hobby is being able to spend all day outside in beautiful locations... Thanks for sharing.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds...I love those old coppers!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

That’s the first time I’ve seen very old coins coming out of the ground like that, amazing. Man that is the Greatest.

HH

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You've found yourself a great site there Seeker! I hope someday to get into something like that.
And a very good job on the photos and story to go along with it, I felt like like I was there!!

WTG,
Ramapirate

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Great finds...I would love to see the back of the flat button. Can you post a pic?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent post, pictures and finds!!!!!

Don in South Jersey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread