Arkansas Hunt: 150+ Relics-2 Batwing Tips, Eagle "C" Button, Lead Bar to Cast Bullets

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arkansas Hunt: 150+ Relics-2 Batwing Tips, Eagle "C" Button, Lead Bar to Cast Bullets

Doug (Dman) and I met our Oklahoma friends John Freeman, Sr. and John Jr. (J.J.) in Arkansas to hunt for CW relics yesterday & Monday. Josh couldn’t attend this hunt as he did last spring and he was still under the weather. Monday afternoon was so warm that we wore t-shirts and were very comfortable. Thunderstorms caused a 2.5 hour rain delay in our hunt yesterday.
We had over 150 CW relics counting the many brass brads from knapsacks, cap & cartridge boxes, sword belts, and harness. John Sr.’s best find was a carbine sling belt tip known as a “batwing”. That was only his second to dig. Doug admired John’s batwing yesterday morning as it was on his wish list. Yesterday afternoon, he added one to his own collection. John Jr. dug something that I had seen in books but had never seen dug-a piece of bar lead used to field cast bullets in the field. That was his first plus another first for J.J.- brass oil can with knurled cap. My best find was another Cavalry Officer’s coat size button with some gold gilt remaining. This one was crimped in so a trip to Robert McDaniel in Alabama accompanied by Doug’s batwing will occur for straightening by a Pro. I had 2 different sizes of cap box finials which was strange.
We all dug .54 & 58 cal. 3 ringers, John had 2 .69 cal. musket balls, Doug recovered pistol balls ranging from .31 cal. to .44 cal. Colt conical bullets. I dug a M &M #7 50 cal. Cosmopolitan carbine bullet and John dug a Ringtail Sharps.

I couldn't resist posting this piece of campfire lead that looks like Cowboy Boot as the last pic. We were close to Texas-LOL.

It was great to see our friends and we hope to return (with Josh) early next year. HH from John, John Jr., Doug, & Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0184 (640x408).jpg
    DSCN0184 (640x408).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0186 (640x382).jpg
    DSCN0186 (640x382).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN0187 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0187 (640x480).jpg
    124 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN0188 (640x601).jpg
    DSCN0188 (640x601).jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN0193.JPG
    DSCN0193.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One more Pic of lead Cowboy Boot. I wish I could say it was Soldier's Art-LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN0195.JPG
    DSCN0195.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 253

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW great finds !!!!! That's is sooo cool you guys get around to all these great places of history!!!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kool road trip to Arkansas , even in a different state the Tenn Trio tear it up . Nice CW relic haul esp. the Spencer carbine sling tip . Only a matter of time for the CSA buckle :)

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I had a really good time hunting with my friends in Ark.
Dman

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you guys had a successful road trip to Arkansas. I have had a couple memorable CW hunts in the Razorback state myself.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go guys. Nice haul of CW relics. I've always wanted to dig one of those batwings.
-MM-

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ain't a boot, that's LOUISIANA lead!!

Great finds!

-Buck

cwhunter_1

Feb 2, 2009
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab se pro, white oldy, tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, no Arkansas buckle? lol. Now that I'm retired it's time to get more hunting in. Maybe I can catch up to your good luck.
Great finds as usual.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Excellent hunt as always guys. Looks like you had a good time. Tennessee digger

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness 150 relics . . .GREAT JOB! I'm glad y'all had a fun as well as productive trip! :) Breezie

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150 relics. That is a lot. Nice bat wings as well. Looks like a fun 2 days with friends. One thing that I did notice that was missing Quindy was the...... "Relic Rag". Did they confiscate it at the border? Noticed the Arkansas crew was wearing the right colors. Good saves great history and a nice officers button.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Hutch & Steve. Arkansas is a good state to dig a bullet that we won't dig in Tennessee. HH, Q.

I hope you are right about the CSA buckle. HH, Quindy.

You did have a good time in Arkansas Dman-for sure. Q.

No batwing yet MM? You are kinda Batty anyway-LOL. Hh, Q.

BB, I did think of the Canefield Bandits in LA when I showed the lead "boot" to Dman-LOL. Good luck to you & Shane this weekend (like you need it). Q.

No Ark. buckle CWH and Doug was disappointed he didn't dig an Arkansas button since he's been on a rare button roll of late-LOL. Thanks, Q.

Donnie, it was a fun trip. Hope tyou are completely over the flu. Q.

Breezie, we had hunted that site twice before and I was amazed as to what came out in a 4 person/ 13 hour total time each hunt. HH, Q.

Richard (TN Mtns.), I anticipated the volume of relics we should dig based on past trips and left the Orange relic rag at home as it was too small. I was afraid they would get it at the border too. J.J. did have his KC sweatshit that he wore early. The hunting party dressed in Blaze Orange and ready to hunt the woods on the video looked good huh? HH, Q.

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an awesome dig!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
150 targets good or bad are getting tough any more!!To have 150 period items is stellar....but I wouldnt expect any less from your crew :icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing hunt Quindy. I was at work when I got your email last night and couldn't wait to get up this morning and watch the video. That was great and I bet y'all had a great time digging. I used to live in Hope, Arkansas but never hunted while I was there. Congrats to everyone on their finds.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for looking DV, OKR, Cody (kuger), & Randy.
Randy, in response to your PM, our friend Tom Hays at Stones River Trading Company in Murfreesboro says that the difference in the U.S. & C.S. carbine sling belt tips (batwings) are that the U.S. manufactured ones has brads cast in. There were multiple manufacturers so you can't just go by thickness but the C.S. ones are generally thicker. FYI, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread