Early colonial pit dig finds (long with lots of pics)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
About 4-5 years ago when I found the 2 hammered silver caches here in southeast Virginia I was also able to probe out an early trash pit about 200 feet from where the coins were found. At that time my friends Chuck, Evan and myself dug this pit out and eyeballed quite a few early artifacts including pottery, pipe stems and bowls, and some nice iron and brass items (see first pic below for some of those finds). We thought we had been thorough in our recoveries, but later I got thinking that we probably should have sifted that spot. Fast forward to a few days ago. After searching unsuccessfully at the site for additional hammered coins with my GPX-5000 Chuck and I decided to dig a couple of small test holes in the pit area and sift the dirt. In only a few minutes we had recovered some early pipe stems and pottery shards. We decided we needed to go back and dig out and sift a larger hole as a representative sample to determine is it would be productive to re-dig and sift the entire pit. This pit, by the way, was irregular shaped but was about 10-15 feet wide by 4 feet deep which is a huge amount of dirt to move and sift. This past Tues we dug out an area about 5 feet in length, 3 feet wide, and 4 feet deep. We were very surprised at the large number of items that we had missed on our first attempt more than 4 years ago. Part of our success was attributed to digging all the way to the bottom before moving forward. It’s easy when you’re finding artifacts in the wall to keep undercutting and not go all the way to the bottom where the best and oldest artifacts could lie. In fact, we recovered 3 colonial hoes between the 3 and 4 foot level that we somehow missed before. These are heavily encrusted and it will take a lot of electrolysis work to get them cleaned up. We also dug about 100 early pipe stem pieces with large bores which date to the 1600s along with several bowls. Some are marked including the “LE” found on one of the stems and a bowl piece. These came from the Bristol pipemaker Llewellin Evans who was in business from 1661-86. Also dug another Wil Evans marked stem similar to one I dug out of this pit 4 years ago which also dates to the latter half of the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century. And I also found an incuse mark “WS” stamped on the heel of a bulbous bowl which was the makers mark for William Sterridge (1610-40). The pottery shards recovered were rather few and mostly small, but were very early and included red earthenwares and a variety of tin-glazed wares including delft. Some of these will match up with what I already have, and hopefully by the time we totally dig out this pit I can do some partial reconstructions. There was also almost no glass in this pit which I thought was very unusual. Only one pontilled base to a small square utility bottle was found along with a couple of tiny shards. In addition to the hoes quite a bit of small iron was found including a lot of rosehead nails. I cleaned up a couple of these and they make nice looking display pieces. I also did some electrolysis on a small iron concretion that turned out to be part of a pair of early scissors. The main obstacle to digging in this pit was not its size, but the fact that it contained a tremendous quantity of oyster shells and animal bone which made it almost impossible at times to even penetrate the tip of the shovel into the dirt. It also made it quite difficult when sifting dirt back into the hole. Below are some pics of our digs in this first full attempt at sifting, and we hope to make it back soon to continue systematically digging out every cubic inch of the pit. I’ll provide another update after the next dig which will hopefully be in the next few days.

Attachments

• original pit finds.JPG
    original pit finds.JPG
    356.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 120412e.jpg
    120412e.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 201
  • chuck in pit3.JPG
    chuck in pit3.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 120412b.JPG
    120412b.JPG
    412.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 120412d.JPG
    120412d.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 120412i.JPG
    120412i.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 120412g.JPG
    120412g.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 120412h.JPG
    120412h.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 120412f.JPG
    120412f.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 120412j.JPG
    120412j.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 120412k.JPG
    120412k.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 120412l.JPG
    120412l.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 120412m.JPG
    120412m.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Bill, I remember how I loved to read the posts made by a guy in Illinois on another forum over ten years ago, I was always amazed at his finds, but your pit is so much older and your finds are just great. Perhaps the lack of glass and some other relics you would suspect are due to another pit containing them! (Hopefully) :)

Don

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome job Bill! But holy smokes that is A LOT of work!

DCMatt

Last edited:

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What's a good indicator of a trash pit or privy hole? I've found bottle dumps before but idk what the signs are of privy holes or trash pits. I assume it'd be the obvious (lots of broken stuff in one concentrated area) but what about geographics?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What's a good indicator of a trash pit or privy hole? I've found bottle dumps before but idk what the signs are of privy holes or trash pits. I assume it'd be the obvious (lots of broken stuff in one concentrated area) but what about geographics?

I wrote an article for a detecting magazine a few years ago about colonial trash pit digging and how I go about locating them. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a pdf copy of the article.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice Post Bill. I have fond memories of that pit. I hope you guys stumble on the glass section. Good luck
-Evan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every bit as fun as detecting and I really see myself doing much more of that in the future. It's a cool feeling when you get a signal, or see something in the dirt, and know no one on the surface has ever had a chance at it.

Last edited:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, Killer stuff! I love your knowledge of the artifacts that you find. Do you have any theory on the lack of glass?
The dimensions of this pit and the abundance of domestic items make me wonder, was this a
secondary pit? Maybe temporary or used when the weather was bad or later in the evening?
When I was a kid my grandmother had an outhouse. We did use a primitive chamber-pot, 5 gal.
bucket, when the weather was bad but it was still quit a walk to the privy on summer evenings.
Maybe there is another on the property.

Anyway, I'd love to know more. Let us know what you learn!

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My kind of post!

It's extremely rare in the realm of metal detecting to see someone dedicated to extracting ALL the information from an early site instead of cherry picking a couple of coins and buttons.

You have my admiration for all your efforts. :notworthy:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Dave.

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyable read Bill. I'm sure digging a site like that can really take you back in time and also keep your interest as you just never know what might pop up.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Bill, I remember how I loved to read the posts made by a guy in Illinois on another forum over ten years ago, I was always amazed at his finds, but your pit is so much older and your finds are just great. Perhaps the lack of glass and some other relics you would suspect are due to another pit containing them! (Hopefully) :)

Don

Thanks Don. There are usually multiple pits at these early sites, and one of them would have to contain more glass and pottery. But it will take a lot of detecting and probing to find it. In the meantime I'm just gonna enjoy digging this one out completely. I think we're only about 1/4 the way through it. Looks like it may be a week or so before Chuck and I can coordinate our schedules so stay tuned.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is very inspirational, Bill. I always feel like I need to dig a Colonial pit. I think since I am hunting with just Kyle now, we may try it. I am going to seek permission for a new site maybe this weekend (rain forecasted). Passion pumped, Bill!

Kirk and Quinn

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely amazing! The detail on the pipes is quite stunning. Great post!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried out pit digging, but it like a blast. Thanks for the informative post, you're providing a wealth of education. I've learned a lot.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
terpfan said:
I've never tried out pit digging, but it like a blast. Thanks for the informative post, you're providing a wealth of education. I've learned a lot.

I've had pit digging dreams but never been IRL.Nice finds!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is very inspirational, Bill. I always feel like I need to dig a Colonial pit. I think since I am hunting with just Kyle now, we may try it. I am going to seek permission for a new site maybe this weekend (rain forecasted). Passion pumped, Bill!

Kirk and Quinn

Thanks Kirk. I knew it wouldn't take much to get you pumped up. Hope you guys can get onto that new site and line your pockets with those coppas you love to dig. Good luck ..... Bill

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Every bit as fun as detecting and I really see myself doing much more of that in the future. It's a cool feeling when you get a signal, or see something in the dirt, and know no one on the surface has ever had a chance at it.

I feel the same way IP. As a matter of fact, I think I prefer digging in a colonial pit over any type of detecting. It's difficult to understand that point of view unless you've experienced a loaded pit before. It's like opening a huge treasure cache that unlocks our early history.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill,

Great post and I admire your dedication....those old colonial finds would never see the light of day if it wasn't for people like yourself and your buddies.

Regards + HH

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread