more finds from Kirkel ammo/supply depot

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
** Found the camera and took a few picts. They aren't the best, but I hope to get a better camera for xmas. So at least I have some pictures to show now :) Enjoy!

Anyway, we went to the ammo/supply depot in Kirkel. We did some recon up the road and found more dugouts for AA guns or troops. Didn't find too much stuff though. I did dig up a 50 cal brass, and the tip was about 2 inches from it. It looks like it was a misfire.. the bullet was "shot" but I don't think it left the barrel.. so it was ejected. I think this is also called a squib load. So, it wasn't from a plane or anything like that.

We went back to our orig hole where the grenades were found. There are tons of things in there still! I was digging in the corner of the dugout for over an hour, and I kept finding things. Mostly 30 cal bullets, some fraggy bits, but the coolest thing was what I think is a shot 75mm anti tank warhead. Its completely solid, and prob weighs around 10 lbs. We also found a LOT of carved sandstone.. the GIs that were hanging out in the dugout were pretty bored it seems. I took some pieces home and hopefully i can take pictures so you know what im talking about. All this stuff we have been finding around this particual dugout was buried on purpose..and I hope to go dig there some more. IT was REALLY COLD, and even started to snow a bit while we were there.

We also found some stuff laying on the surface.. a bakelite motar nose cone (it was prob a dud, bec it looks to have hit the ground, busted off the base, and didn't set off the little charge), lots of shrapnel, and I found what looks like a button, but has threads on the side. I thought it was a button at first, bec it has 4 holes in it, but I think its more of a plug to something. We left this nice piece of a bomb fragment on a tree stump, and someone TOOK it :( There is a lot of logging going on in the area, so one of them prob took it. We also saw many holes out there, so someone else has been digging there before.

We headed out a differen't way than we came in, so do more recon. We found A TON of dugouts that we didn't know existed.. and these were used for TANKS. I figured that the americans prob pulled their tanks in there to guard the road. The 63 Inf Div was camped out here after the breaking through the Sigfried line. I am still doing research on what happened in the area.

We ended up going to this little town by Saarbruken called Dudeweiler. There was an antique store that sold militaria that bammer and I wanted to find. On the way, we found an INTACT pillbox still overlooking the road (you could even see the sliding metal plates and machine gun ports).. and other fighting positions that still littered the town. The shop was cool and this guy had a whole back room FULL of stuff, im talking about a militaria collectors dream. We got to talking to him, and told us he dug at Kirkel before, and many other places. I ended up buying a large Lutfwaffe spoon for 30 bucks. But we hope to get more info out of him. He seemed more than willing to tell us whatever we wanted :)

Sorry to ramble :) I hope to find the camera! I hope everyone has a happy holiday :) !!!

Here is one of the 3 20mm AA rounds I found after i cleaned it up a bit
20mm round.jpg

We went out and picked up the rest of the potato masher grenade. The stick used to be between the middle piece and the piece to the left. They are much larger in person.
potato masher.jpg

Here are some various pieces of things we picked up.. shrapnel, bullets, carved sand stone, and who knows what. Lots of stuff to clean
fraggy bits.jpg

Some nicer looking bullets/ 50 cal round
bullets.jpg

Here is the solid anti tank warhead I found. Should come out nice after electrolysis.. it weighs about 10 lbs. Not sure if it is german or american yet.
warhead1.jpg

Sorry for the bad pict. Its the bakelite nose cone from a motar round.. found on the surface
nosecone1.jpg

Another pict of nose cone with broken piece taken out.. the screws/works on the inside are visible
nosecone2.jpg

Here is the spoon I got in that town. You can see the luftwaffe symbol at the bottom. Its quite large and is prob a serving spoon
spoon.jpg

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: more finds from Kirkel

Congrats Viper - sounds like you had yourself one fantastic day! Hope you find your camera, I'd like to see a piece of that carved sandstone. Soldiers must've been pretty bored.

Sure hope that nose cone is a DUD!

Anyways, congrads on the finds and hope you find the dig. HH/NS

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

yeah the nose cone from the motar is a dud for sure. There are no explosives in it. The bottom is kind of broken, and you can take it apart. The set screws inside are all there still, and you can see them clearly. I just need to pop the little charge out (its the same kind of charge you see in unfired bullet tips). Once I get some picts taken, it will be easier to explain :)

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II

I am in the northern Bavaria - quite far from you, may be later we can arrange joint hunt. Looks like you are at the great spot for military collecting!

HH

Sand

OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

Sand said:
I am in the northern Bavaria - quite far from you, may be later we can arrange joint hunt. Looks like you are at the great spot for military collecting!

HH

Sand

Id love to go hunt up by Ulm. I hope we can link up sometime.

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
Re: more finds from Kirkel ** Updated with picts! Found camera :)

Spoon is a dream, I have some parts of forks and spoons with eagle on them_ but not luftwaffe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread