dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some of you folks would like to see this button I just dug from the South Carolina Low Country the other day. Me and three digging buds were hunting a hayfield that had given up a few eagle buttons and old coins. It's a place that's been pounded for 20 years but not long after we got there I dug an 1890-O Morgan dollar so I knew it wasn't totally hunted out :laughing7: Then I got a signal that read around 32 on the F-75. That kind of number usually ends up being a buck shot or some other small piece of junk but to my surprise it turned out to be an eagle coat button that got hit by the plow. Then about five feet away I get a 27 reading and out comes a little bitty button. I could just make out a shield on it but not much else. One of my buds was nearby and looked at it and we thought it might be a one piece Navy cuff or something but after it started to dry out a little I saw the G and could make out the eagle a bit better. That's when I alerted the boys that a GW had just been dug! It was near the end of the day so we were all digging every little blip that even tried to act like a signal but nothing else was found. This button is an Alberts WI23 but in an unlisted 14mm cuff size. These have just recently been discovered and are all being dug in the same general area as this one came from. This makes the fourth one I know of but the other three are all silver plated, so this one, as far as I know, is the only one in gold gilt. Now I've dug and cleaned hundreds of coins and buttons over the last 20+ years but I was actually scared when it came to working on this one. I started off with the hot peroxide method but it didn't do anything to help so I broke out the aluminum jelly and camel hair brush. A few finishing touches with a toothpick and here is the end result. Thanks for looking, Dave in SC

Attachments

• wi237.jpg
    wi237.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 39

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER

OK, I'm convinced. You got my BANNER vote. :icon_thumright:
Nick

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm convinced. You got my BANNER vote. :icon_thumright:
Nick
Thanks Nick, I used to be a Nutmegger, I guess I still consider myself one since I was born and spent most of my life there :) Dug a ton of stuff in CT before moving to SC. I still come back every summer and always manage to dig a little something. BTW it's 77 degrees here today :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most are, but the fact is we rarely see the different ones pop up. One of these days someone will either post one that's a new discovery, or something near as crazy like only 1 example known. I just hope for their sake it's in excellent condition so they can collect that big pile of many thousands.

Why not a whole set on a piece of string..

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button. That is at the top of my list! Beautiful condition. Banner from me

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find!! You did a great job cleaning that button. The SC Low Country gives up another BANNER find!!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Welcome to the GW Club! Hogge

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find dude! By the way would someone please tell this newbie what aluminum jelly is.

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Well a little late to the party but CONGRATS on an awesome button and looking sweet up top.

Bubba65

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! WTG! That is one sweet looking button. Got any good spots here in CT you want to share? :laughing7:

Wrecker58

Oct 27, 2010
charlestowne south carolina
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
minelab ctx3030
garrett pin pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From one lowcountry digger to another....WOW!!! Find of a life time... Great save!

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Welcome to the GW Club! Hogge

Thanks Hogge but check out my avatar, this is actually my fourth GW and I got them the hard way, one at a time on four different sites :laughing7: I dug the one in my avatar about a month before the Stacks auction of the Cobb collection when the one like it (WI18b) was advertised as the only one known and sold for $19,500.00. The Cobb specimen is in better shape but had a repaired shank on it where mine has a stand up original. My other two are the "common" eagle with star WI12c's, one is pretty ratty but the other looks practically non-dug.

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Everyone for all the nice replies and voting to put my find up top. The digging season is just starting here so keep an eye out for more SC finds. We'll probably be going back to the site I dug this button soon but we've been sworn to secrecy by the landowner. He said if word gets out about where this button was dug, he won't get a minutes peace between all the people ringing his phone off the hook and trying to beat his door down :)

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! WTG! That is one sweet looking button. Got any good spots here in CT you want to share? :laughing7:

I have lots of spots in CT but they're all pounded :) I gave a couple of my digging buddies my map book of CT with all my sites marked in it but so far they say I didn't miss much at any of them :)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. Super rare and in great condition. I think everyone would like to dig one but then it would not be rare
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions