dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some of you folks would like to see this button I just dug from the South Carolina Low Country the other day. Me and three digging buds were hunting a hayfield that had given up a few eagle buttons and old coins. It's a place that's been pounded for 20 years but not long after we got there I dug an 1890-O Morgan dollar so I knew it wasn't totally hunted out :laughing7: Then I got a signal that read around 32 on the F-75. That kind of number usually ends up being a buck shot or some other small piece of junk but to my surprise it turned out to be an eagle coat button that got hit by the plow. Then about five feet away I get a 27 reading and out comes a little bitty button. I could just make out a shield on it but not much else. One of my buds was nearby and looked at it and we thought it might be a one piece Navy cuff or something but after it started to dry out a little I saw the G and could make out the eagle a bit better. That's when I alerted the boys that a GW had just been dug! It was near the end of the day so we were all digging every little blip that even tried to act like a signal but nothing else was found. This button is an Alberts WI23 but in an unlisted 14mm cuff size. These have just recently been discovered and are all being dug in the same general area as this one came from. This makes the fourth one I know of but the other three are all silver plated, so this one, as far as I know, is the only one in gold gilt. Now I've dug and cleaned hundreds of coins and buttons over the last 20+ years but I was actually scared when it came to working on this one. I started off with the hot peroxide method but it didn't do anything to help so I broke out the aluminum jelly and camel hair brush. A few finishing touches with a toothpick and here is the end result. Thanks for looking, Dave in SC

Attachments

• wi237.jpg
    wi237.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 39

Hunted out

Greenie
Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dave i just joined this site.I found a G W button just like the one you posted only mine is larger.I found mine in georgetown s.c. It was nice to see another like mine,thanks for posting.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful button it looks brand new, congrats on the amazing banner find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread