North Carolina Confederate Cadet Belt Plate, Best Colonial Barrel Tap, Mebane NC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an interesting day of relic hunting. Today I went to my newest colonial site, and the crops had FINALLY been cut off. I immediately started seeing dig holes, and large chunks of iron, on the surface of the ground. Someone had nighthawked my site. I am the only person that has permission on this site. I was FURIOUS, and still am pretty bummed about it, but it worked out in my favor today.

I was detecting pretty hard, and digging every decent tone. I walked in some thick brush, beside where the combine cut, and got a SWEET signal on my AT Gold. I looked down and low and behold there on the surface of the ground was a Bingham School Buckle. It must have been dug by whoever nighthawked the site, and discarded because they didn't recognize it as being a nice relic. It turns out, this particular buckle is a brass dome buckle, used at the Bingham School Military Academy in the 1850s-1860s. I can date it to the earlier days of the school due to the absence of the three drilled holes found on the ones that were issued later in the school's life. I am very glad that I found it, even though I technically didn't dig it! Finding that buckle made me not as mad about having an intruder :). As I finished making my video, I noticed several other brass relics sitting on top of the ground near the buckle, so the individual apparently unloaded his/her pockets and lost the big money item. Shame on them. My favorite part of finding this buckle is that it is my first off-site Bingham School relic, that pertains directly to the school!

Other finds in the day's hunt included my BEST ever COLONIAL BARREL TAP! This spigot was only 2 inches deep and laying lateral to the ground under the peat. When I saw it, I nearly died! It is beautiful. This type apparently takes the key, but it is missing. What a cool colonial relic! The site dates to the 1740s so I am definitely not surprised to see it; the condition surprises me. I found two harmonica reeds, some random brass rings, a very old pair of fingernail clippers, and an interesting hand forged Iron tool??

I went overboard with pictures, but I wanted yall to see it all!

IMAG0566.jpg
Colonial hammer head,,I threw a handle in it for display purposes only

IMAG0546.jpg
As found, Bingham School Cadet Belt Plate, circa 1850-1860s
Notice the harmonica reed fragment, at the top left. I did not notice it until I looked at this picture. The "Hawk" scattered his finds all over the sides of the field. This was one of his pocket dump sites.
IMAG0549.jpg
Big ol' Bean field, nice and flat for digging!
IMAG0550.jpg
uncleaned spigot
IMAG0548-1.jpg
Spigot, as dug
IMAG0553.jpg
Uncleaned spigot top
IMAG0554.jpg
delicately cleaned spigot with patina
IMAG0555.jpg
Cleaned colonial spigot top with key valve
IMAG0556.jpg
Cleaned spigot bottom
IMAG0551.jpg
Uncleaned Bingham School Military Academy Cadet Plate 1844-1865
IMAG0552.jpg
Reverse of Same
IMAG0557.jpg
Delicately cleaned Confederate Cadet Plate
IMAG0558.jpg
Unfortunately no puppy paws still attached on this one :(
IMAG0559.jpg
N.C.R.R. 15 bag seal
IMAG0560.jpg
Tell me this doesn't say C S A
IMAG0561.jpg
harmonica reeds
IMAG0562.jpg
Brass items
IMAG0563.jpg
very old nail clippers
IMAG0564.jpg
Thick brass, possibly wheel hub? Often find them at old sites
IMAG0565.jpg
Please help with this interesting hand made Iron tool. I found one almost exactly like it a month ago.
IMAG0185.jpg
Here are 8 of the same Bingham School belt plates that I have dug over at the site of the school, proof of what I found

Last edited:
Upvote 2

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a same about your spot. Fantastic find.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great set of relics there! Sorry to hear about the tresspasser--I hope he gets caught and prosecuted by the law! What a low thing to do and he's obviously not a terribly intelligent individual.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Your "iron tool" is actually part of a horse bit.
Good finds .. Those buckles are wonderful!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice historical finds.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic finds!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well congrats on the freebie Belt plate and you other finds as well.....My thoughts on the Nighthawker.........God will get you when you do wrong, and will reward you when you do right! Sooooo...........He lost his!!!!!!!! And you got yours!!!!!!!!!!.................................HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That lead seal does say CSA. Great hunt I hate that about your site,,, grrrr. Happened to me once after waiting forever. You still did very well though.
HH
TnMtns

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that plate put the wind back in your sails!! It's idiot's like them that give our hobby a bad name.. What comes around goes around bud. It still looks like sumone was lookin out for you.. Kudos on stayin with it. CONGRATS.. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread