Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. :BangHead: Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 9

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
funny how jewelers always "talk down" the stones value in rings if they are buying its like I'll buy the gold but just "gimme" the stones in it -- if they are buying you would think all stones are near worthless unless their multi carat near perfect diamonds or emeralds--only the gold are they willing to admit has any real value ---but if their "selling" just listen to em "gush" about the stones

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find..................................HH

beniseb123

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find!

WOW!!
looks like a true find!! :notworthy:the other day sumone here was asking whether magnetometers/gradiometers can be used for detecting gold lost deep within earth surface or below sea water..i searched the web and found that magnetometers CANNOT be used to detect gold...they only detect ferrous(iron or its alloys)..but it can detect steel(which has iron)..sunken ships hav iron or steel surface..or treasure chests may be made of iron alloys..and these magnetometers/gradiometers can detect tat..
What are ur views?? btw..gradiometers are juss a pair of magnetometers used to get advanced reading...Best of Luck!!

This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. :BangHead: Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!:icon_thumright:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
treasure hunters at sea have long used "iron detecting" mags to find old treasure wrecks --the iron cannons and iron fittings give away the wrecks location

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
like annie f said * if the area was once used as a summer camp -- it may have been used many other times -- a "good spot" --is a good spot and generally has been for a long time --humans tend to reuse "good spots" over and over again --its in our nature to do so ,because we are creatures of habit.

rdawg14

Aug 13, 2012
NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Good luck with your hunting!

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds to me like you have a wealth of good hunting spots at your disposal. I would love to hunt my old stomping grounds in Monterey County. First beach hunt I ever did was at Carmel circa 1989. Found a 100 Peso coin and I swear I thought it was gold. LOL.

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had meant to do quite a bit of beach hunting myself this summer, but my MDx petered out on me a few months ago and I haven't had the resources to upgrade yet. Soon as I do, though, I'm going to pick up a Minelab Safari and head for Carmel Beach!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread