Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. :BangHead: Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!:icon_thumright:

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 9

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bracelet is a beauty, :thumbsup: I personally like the older jewelry. It also sounds like you need to do some more looking in that yard. Good luck hunting!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. :BangHead: Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!:icon_thumright:

I love that bracelet...good luck with future finds in your yard :)

OP
OP
Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome here in TNet! Nice:thumbsup:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!

Sounds like a potential"gold mine" to me

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's treasure everywhere, true, but the best treasure is that dug up in your own back yard.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.

true, but they are not 'absolutely worthless'. it's funny how it works when you want to sell them they are worth very little, but if you need to have some replaced it's a whole different story.

leaker

Nov 8, 2012
Jefferson city mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking I need to go swing in your back yard. lol. Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

AnnieF

Jul 26, 2012
Western NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If your new place is an old summer camp, it might be an even OLDER camping site or some other temperate/welcoming spot which attracted others. Check out these two websites to see if you can look back in time to what used to be there because the key to all of this, after all, is finding where people gathered and research research research!

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ™

eagleforce

Mar 15, 2010
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Awesome find. That would be a keeper for me if I ever found one. Good luck out there! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread