Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    478
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

    This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

    Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG 
Views:	402 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	714104  

  2. # ADS
    Ads

    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

  3. #2
    us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    295
    39 times
    very cool ...Good luck

  4. #3
    Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

    Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    3,829
    2027 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That bracelet is a beauty, I personally like the older jewelry. It also sounds like you need to do some more looking in that yard. Good luck hunting!

  5. #4
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    2,375
    709 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

    Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!
    I love that bracelet...good luck with future finds in your yard

  6. #5
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    478
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!
    the bone and cti4sw like this.

  7. #6

    Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    5,774
    1829 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Welcome here in TNet! Nice
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2013
    Coins usables=50436
    Silver= 890 pieces
    Gold= 63g


  8. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    2,375
    709 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!
    Sounds like a potential"gold mine" to me

  9. #8

    Jul 2012
    711
    164 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    There's treasure everywhere, true, but the best treasure is that dug up in your own back yard.

  10. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    1,240
    45 times
    Relic Hunting
    Nice find. Congrats!

  11. #10
    us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT
    505
    78 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thats a sweet bracelet, I would not melt it.

  12. #11
    us
    Mar 2009
    New Hampshire
    Minelab E-trac
    1,219
    325 times
    beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.

  13. #12
    us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    5,784
    996 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by testing123 View Post
    beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.
    true, but they are not 'absolutely worthless'. it's funny how it works when you want to sell them they are worth very little, but if you need to have some replaced it's a whole different story.

  14. #13
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    478
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks, Hamid!

    I've been reading your posts and I like your style.

  15. #14
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    478
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Thanks for the tip, T'123.

  16. #15
    us
    Nov 2012
    Jefferson city mo
    Garrett gti 2500
    87
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm thinking I need to go swing in your back yard. lol. Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

  17. #16

    Dec 2012
    1
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Its so beutifull.

  18. #17
    us
    Jul 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    1. Garrett AT PRO!! (Dec 2012) 2. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector & 3. Garrett Pro Pointer
    229
    66 times
    Relic Hunting
    If your new place is an old summer camp, it might be an even OLDER camping site or some other temperate/welcoming spot which attracted others. Check out these two websites to see if you can look back in time to what used to be there because the key to all of this, after all, is finding where people gathered and research research research!

    NETR Online • Historic Aerials

    Historic Map Works, Residential Genealogy ™

  19. #18
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    478
    218 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi Annie, thanks so much for those resources!

    HH (Happy Hunting & Happy Holidays)

  20. #19
    us
    Jul 2012
    Marshfield, MA
    1. Garrett AT PRO!! (Dec 2012) 2. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector & 3. Garrett Pro Pointer
    229
    66 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf
    Hi Annie, thanks so much for those resources!

    HH (Happy Hunting & Happy Holidays)
    Yw

    Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet / Visit my blog! www.saltusa.com

  21. #20
    us
    Mar 2010
    California
    Whites MXT Pro
    433
    426 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow. Awesome find. That would be a keeper for me if I ever found one. Good luck out there!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. GOLD, EMERALDS, & DIAMONDS
    By Whydah in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Jul 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
  2. GOLD, EMERALDS, & DIAMONDS
    By Whydah in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
  4. NJ silver, gold, diamonds, and emeralds
    By Charles (Upstate NY) in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Nov 13, 2007, 05:18 AM
  5. Diamonds in yer own back yard....
    By Anonymous in forum Cache Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 17, 2004, 07:29 PM

Search tags for this page

emerald found in backyard
,
emeralds found in backyard
,
find fake gold in backyard
,
how to find a diamond in your yard
,
how to find a emerald in your own backyard
,

how to find diamonds in your backyard

,

how to find emeralds in your backyard

,
how to find gold and silver in your back yard
,
how to find gold in your backyard
,
treasure found at northern california back yard
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3