Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2012
    Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
    Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro
    258 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Back-yard find; Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds!

This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG 
Views:	411 
Size:	544.7 KB 
ID:	714104  

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    39 times
    very cool ...Good luck

Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    2499 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    That bracelet is a beauty, I personally like the older jewelry. It also sounds like you need to do some more looking in that yard. Good luck hunting!

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    This, then, is what got me all rev'd up for metal detecting; an antique gold bracelet with 26 diamonds and 13 emeralds that I dug up in my back yard while landscaping a few years ago. At first I thought it was just more of the trash I had been digging up for weeks, which included everything from silverware to matchbox cars to the remains of an entire whitetail stag--oh, and three different old hot water heaters! I'll tell ya, the folks who lived in this old house before me didn't go to the dump very often. Anyway, when I showed the bracelet to my wife she sent me right back out again to find the matching earrings (which I never did). Eventually I got around to showing it to a jeweler friend of mine who was able to tell me that the bracelet looked like it was made in the 1920's or 1930's and that the stones and gold were real, all right, however every single diamond and every single emerald was badly chipped or cracked and therefore absolutely worthless. Melt value of the gold is about $150, I discovered after a little research, but I think I'll keep it around as a motivational piece now that I've got my first detector, an MPx with a 10-inch coil that I think I'll call "Rose".

Heading out on my first hunt tomorrow--wish me luck!
    I love that bracelet...good luck with future finds in your yard

us
    Dec 2012
    258 times
    Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!
    the bone and cti4sw like this.

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    1858 times
    Welcome here in TNet! Nice
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2014
    Coins usables=800
    Silver= 8 pieces
    Gold= 2 Rings

us
    Dec 2012
    CA
    Ace 250..garret pro pointer
    833 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. What I neglected to say, though, was that I no longer live at the house where I found the bracelet. I know the new owners, but they just paid big $ to have the place professionally landscaped, and I don't think they'd appreciate me digging up their new lawn. In any case, it could be worse. Moved the family to a new house on 120 acres that until last year was a good 'ol fashioned summer camp that had been operating for 88 years. There's just gotta be some good stuff there, because as Calvin of Calvin & Hobbs fame says, "There's treasure everywhere"!
    Sounds like a potential"gold mine" to me

Jul 2012
    164 times
    There's treasure everywhere, true, but the best treasure is that dug up in your own back yard.

us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    45 times
    Relic Hunting
    Nice find. Congrats!

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT
    84 times
    Thats a sweet bracelet, I would not melt it.

us
    Mar 2009
    New Hampshire
    Minelab E-trac
    505 times
    beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.

us
    Jun 2011
    Oklahoma
    White's XLT
    1245 times
    Quote Originally Posted by testing123 View Post
    beautiful bracelet! here's a tip that people don't want to admit... small diamonds really aren't worth anything when you go to sell. Even if they were in better shape they would add very little value. Most of the value is in the gold.
    true, but they are not 'absolutely worthless'. it's funny how it works when you want to sell them they are worth very little, but if you need to have some replaced it's a whole different story.

us
    Dec 2012
    258 times
    Thanks, Hamid!

I've been reading your posts and I like your style.

us
    Dec 2012
    258 times
    Thanks for the tip, T'123.

us
    Nov 2012
    Jefferson city mo
    Garrett gti 2500
    15 times
    I'm thinking I need to go swing in your back yard. lol. Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors