kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt dig these but should have!!!:BangHead:

The bottom piece is a barrel that suffered an explosion.......bad muzzle jam I surmize...........
gun31_zpsf68628f8.jpg

gun2_zps02e0186b.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.........I did dig a rifle(octagon),and a shot gun barrel though.......................thats an iron cleaver setting on them
barrels_zps0e239b72.jpg

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Those are some good and unique finds Kuger. I like the "exploding barrel" gun. Tennessee digger

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good bad and ugly.Good yaw found them.bad for the feller that shot it.ugly is when he showed up empty handed with no meat and his wife beat the crap out of him,lol.Cool finds Kuger for sure.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You gonna do electrolysis on them or ACV?

I'd love to see how they cleaned up

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gonna do electrolysis on them or ACV?

I'd love to see how they cleaned up

Probably the ACV,my friend that dug the barrel,and pistol has dug like four of those pocket pistols now,and insists on electroing them......it ruins them if you ask me.Electrolysis has its place you just have to know when....actually it would not harm my barrels at all either,just going to see what the vin does first

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice blown out barrel! Was pretty common to have finds like that on Civil War/Revolutionary War battlefields. Soldiers sometime mistakenly loaded more rounds on top of what may already have been in the barrel. In the heat of battle it was difficult for them to tell if their own rifle went off when so many others were shooting around them as well (some even closed their eyes and turned away after aiming!). They would reload, thinking the gun had discharged, and and the barrel above is what the outcome would be! There were guns found in Gettysburg, after the battle, that had MULTIPLE rounds (up to 5 I believe) rounds in the barrel and it had never discharged. Great finds!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet that hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................................HH

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking again at the iron you found and the iron stirrup I found that day, we had an Ironmen kind of day! It was good to get together with you again my friend!!

IM

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was IM,just goes to show,most dont dig iron!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY nice! I'd hate to be the poor sucker that was holding that when it blew.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding B.B.,we went back and looked for the rest of it so I am not sure if it killed him or not,seein how the barrel was unscrewed?

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting Cody. I overloaded my muzzleloader before deer hunting several years ago. I shot it by holding it from behind a tree as the thought of pulling the bullet didn't seem safe either. Fortunately, mine didn't blow up like the ones you have-LOL. Cool stuff!! HH, Q.

OP
OP
kuger

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: CC Hunter

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The blown pistol barrel was a flintlock, and I wonder if someone unscrewed the breech plug or if it blew out. Somebody did something really wrong, or the barrel had a fault in it, because I've been involved with experiments trying to blow up black powder barrels, and we overloaded them into what one would thing is a pipe bomb and they didn't blow. The only way to get one to blow in our tests was to short start a ball in a loaded barrel. That's a neat find. I have a book on the 49er's, can't remember the guys name, but the title is "The World Rushed In." It's the diary of a 49er, and he says in there that when they left back east, everyone felt like they needed to have at least one gun. When they got to the mines, they didn't need guns, they needed pry bars, and that's what he says they did with the gun barrels, and is apparently what you found. Good finds. My favorite kind of finds.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice......Happy Holidays

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Gun parts are always fun finds! :icon_thumright:

Over the years, we've seen a few examples of shorter sections of rifle barrels, apparently cut with a saw, that had blown out. There have also been pieces of lead found poured into these cut gun barrels at times, as well as random pieces of poured lead found separate, that have the land and groove patterns of a rifle barrel. In theory, the possible explanation seems to be that some fellows were creating "pipe bomb" type explosive devices, to aid in detonating troublesome material that was impeding their progress. Since dynamite was not available until the late 1860's, fellows tackling the challenge of blowing up something in earlier times, needed to improvise the best way possible, with black powder and available materials. Since the one gun barrel shown above, appears to be a cut section, the fellow and his buddies were likely hiding behind trees or something like that, when the blast went off. Doubtful anyone was hurt, unless of course they did not run fast enough, or figured the fuse burn time wrong.

:hello:

CC Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread