A century older than expected

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out searching the curb strips again after work. I was almost back to the car and I had found 1 wheat penny and 59 cents in clad. I get a decent signal and see the reeded edge of a silver quarter in the plug. I am wondering what year Washington it will be. I brush off the back and much to my surprise it has the wrong eagle on it. It is a 1858 seated Liberty in nice condition! I went my first 9 months of detecting without finding any coins from the 1800's, now I have found 2 from the 1850's in the last week!

Seated Quarter- back.jpg Seated Quarter- front.jpg

Attachments

• seated closeup composite.jpg
    seated closeup composite.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 13

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've noticed that people don't generally care about their curb strips, either - so long as you fill in your holes. Most anyone I know only uses the strip to put the garbage can on every week, so that is one part of a residential area I don't bother with asking permission for. Like reednc said, it's fair game. When people do come out to inquire, you can shift the conversation to your favor by asking if they've lost any jewelry you can look out for, and maybe work a yard request into it.

I plan on hitting every curb strip in my hometown as my resolution for 2013 :icon_thumright:

joesdigs

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely find. Beautiful coin

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used