Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: CLEANED 1838 Large Cent PIC.

Hello folks!

I had a WONDERFUL day at the mansion today. Weather was superb for this time of year!! What a way to finish up a year! (betcha I'll get out at least once more before the new year ;) )

I spent a whole 5 hours out there today. My intention was really to spend some quality time with my AT-Pro and learn a little more about how it reacts on deep signals. I hadn't really cared much about what I might find today. I took some sample coins with me. A silver quarter, a Merc, a large cent, a couple rings. As I went along I'd dig up something and then check the hole. Once it was cleared I'd bury one of my examples and teach myself how each type of coin hit in that particular area and at different depths. (good practice).

Anyway, here's the group picture of ALL my five hours of detecting got me.

IMGA2344.JPG

Most would look at this pile and knowing it took 5 hours, they would probably shrug and say, "What a waste of time!".

Seems that way, huh. Well, guess what, it wasn't! I had a most exciting day! Starting with this little doozy of a dig.

I won't narrate. You just follow along and you guess what was coming to light. I will let you know that it took me quite a while to dig it up because I thought I was watching a Civil War Plate coming into view.

TRICKY1.jpg

TRICKY2.jpg

TRICKY3.jpg

TRICKY4.jpg

TRICKY5.jpg

TRICKY6.jpg

TRICKY7.jpg

I was being soooooooo careful! I really expected to see something nice. But, after I got it out, I turned it up on edge.

TRICKY8.jpg

All those who know anything about hose clamps, knows that my machine completely and totally "hosed" me on this one! LOL

BUT, that's just the beginning of the story!!! While I was delayed with this pursuit, digging very carefully! It kept me away from an old dead tree about 20 yards away from me. Which, since it was very old when it died, I was headed straight for it to check around it's large base. I'd only stopped for this hose clamp because I happened to catch a decent initial signal.

While I'm digging this piece of junk, I hear a rather LARGE crash behind me. It was a "widow maker" sized limb of the tree that had crashed down right at the base of the tree because of the winds. If I hadn't dug this trash, well, I shudder to think.

Ok, so, onward, here's the group after an initial cleanup:

IMGA2345.JPG
IMGA2346.JPG
IMGA2347.JPG
IMGA2348.JPG
IMGA2349.JPG
IMGA2350.JPG
IMGA2351.JPG
IMGA2352.JPG
IMGA2353.JPG

Home plate for Liliputians? :dontknow:

IMGA2354.JPG
IMGA2355.JPG
IMGA2356.JPG
IMGA2357.JPG
IMGA2358.JPG

So, even got another very early button from this place. There's a lot of junk I dug too, which is why it took 5 hours. :)

Anyway, as I'm wrapping up this very enjoyable day, I round another tree on the way back to my car and I get the most BEE-YOO-TI-FUL!! 84-87 signal I have ever received. It had a bit of depth but as people with the AT-Pro knows, 84-87, repeatable, solid? Very much a CLEAN "quarter" hit! I said YAY! At least I might finish with a decent quarter! AND, since this is an old place and there was some depth to the signal and it was small enough to be a coin, I dared to think, "silver!". One could hope!

I cut the plug and checked the hole, the signal was now at 84-92! AT-Pro guys know this is usually a good sign!

After digging through a tangle of roots, out pops this:

LARGECENT1.jpg LARGECENT2.jpg

IMGA2359.JPG IMGA2360.JPG
This is what it looked like when I got it home.

IMGA2361.JPG IMGA2362.JPG
This is after some very careful beginning of a cleanup.

IMGA2363.JPG IMGA2364.JPG

This is after about 2 hours of careful toothpicking. I'm not done but I'm going to take this one very, very slowly! As it's going to join my collection as one of my best coins ever!

Sorry about the long post, but it was such a wonderful day, I just had to share or bust! LOL

Thanks for peeking!

HH!

UPDATE: I think this will be about as far as I dare go. Pretty nice I think. What's a good way to seal the coin when finished?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMGA2366.JPG
    IMGA2366.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGA2368.JPG
    IMGA2368.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least the clamp had a reeded edge!! :laughing7: Now with that large cent I would recommend dropping it in some boiling peroxide rather than using a toothpick. It will save you a lot of time and it looks like that coin would clean up quite nicely. Dish soap and a toothbrush after the peroxide.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the clamp had a reeded edge!! :laughing7: Now with that large cent I would recommend dropping it in some boiling peroxide rather than using a toothpick. It will save you a lot of time and it looks like that coin would clean up quite nicely. Dish soap and a toothbrush after the peroxide.

It might be a bit quicker and I may wind up doing it as well. I see this coin cleaning up really well. Except for a spot on the reverse that just looks like it got too much corrosion. But, I don't care! I was very, very careful getting it out of the hole and got really silent for a moment when I realized what it was, then, I happy danced up one side of that tree and down the other!!!!!! LOL :laughing9:

Thanks for the response and advice!

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck, that clamp had me on the edge of my seat too! I saw that big reeded edge and almost had to change my shorts till I realized what it was! :laughing7: :tongue3:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, that clamp had me on the edge of my seat too! I saw that big reeded edge and almost had to change my shorts till I realized what it was! :laughing7: :tongue3:

It's like I've said, this AT-Pro likes to make jokes! It's ok though, it does seem to be able to get serious too. 1800's button? Beautiful Large Cent? Yeah, it's ok by me if it pokes fun now and then. :)

HH!

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's one killer of a day! and a LC..............................HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the edge of my seat with that hose clamp.haha. I think we all have done that a time or two. Very nice coin it will display very well. I was fishing once and using my trolling motor casting toward shore and a tree fell almost hitting my engine soaking me right where I had been. I was almost toast. Glad you dug that hose clamp. I am liking my little at pro as well.
Happy Holidays!
TnMtns

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the edge of my seat with that hose clamp.haha. I think we all have done that a time or two. Very nice coin it will display very well. I was fishing once and using my trolling motor casting toward shore and a tree fell almost hitting my engine soaking me right where I had been. I was almost toast. Glad you dug that hose clamp. I am liking my little at pro as well.
Happy Holidays!
TnMtns

I'm still unsure how the dirt in the middle of that hose clamp made it look like a solid. :dontknow: But, it did and made yet another memory for me.

Check out the updated Large Cent Pic. Cleaned up fairly well. It must have been VERY new when lost. Just think, maybe Johnny's birthday gift way back in 1838 got lost and has been lying there waiting for me ever since! :) WOW! What a hobby!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's one killer of a day! and a LC..............................HH

Ahhhh, yeah. It turned out to be a fine day all around. The Large Cent? Icing. :)

Thanks for the response!

HH!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find's, Whadi ! Especially nice LC! Congrat's!
Your "Liliputin homeplate" is an old-time sickle mower blade section.......

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find's, Whadi ! Especially nice LC! Congrat's!
Your "Liliputin homeplate" is an old-time sickle mower blade section.......

Iowa Dale

Yeah, not every day I get to save a nice old large cent like that, really feels nice! :)

Thanks on the info, I had no clue! Boy! If they had to cut ALL that grass with an old-time sickle mower!! Yikes! LOL

Thanks for the response!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions