NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With an open invitation, I recently returned to the 2-acre property where I found an 1861 half dime last week. This property is very close to one of the oldest homes in town. I worked the 2nd half of the backyard and had a dime spill--merc, silver Rosie, modern Rosie--to show for it. Like the first visit, I was pulling shallow clad from seemingly everywhere. After a few hours, the side yard and first part of the front yard yielded little of mention. I decided to call it a day and, rather than cross the front yard, thought I might loop around the backyard on my way to my car on the other side. Swinging the coil aimlessly, I soon hit a 4-clad-quarter spill. Hmmm, how did I miss this on my original grid? About 15 yards from the driveway I got a solid 82-83 on my AT Pro. "Another merc or silver Rosie," I thought, and proceeded to dig.
About 4-5 inches down, much to my surprise, out popped a large, thin copper! I coudn't readily tell what it was but I knew from its thinness that it was older. Returning home, a quick rinse revealed a shield with a crown above it on the reverse, and a left-facing bust on the obverse. It measures 29mm. It appears to be a Louis XVI French Sol, circa 1774-1792. I intend to clean it soon in hopes of getting a date off it. If it is a Louis XVI, I can't find much info on how it relates to the colonies. Was it common or even accepted currency? Thanks for any info you can provide. I will return to the property soon, weather permitting. HH & HH (Happy Holidays & Happy Hunting)

reverse_3.jpg reverse_2.jpg obverse_2.jpg
obverse_1.jpg copper 29mm.jpg

Upvote 2

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great large copper NJLC!! And nice ID on the coin...now that I can see images on-line I can see that you are correct on the Sol. Certainly a rare coin indeed to find in this area. Congrats!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find........Hit that yard Harddddddddddddd..........................HH

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fantastic find my friend. I hope to get out there with you soon. Dig it hard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread