Christmas Came Early Found My First Copper

dumpdigger68

Dec 24, 2009
central Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all wound up after todays 2 hour hunt. We had rain yesterday and over 40 deg. so I had to get out, could be last time till spring. I went to hunt an old road I found last weekend, when we had snow and 20 deg. theres a section thats not been disturbed and this road was once the main road. First I found a few junk metal pcs. then had a good penny signal on my Ace 250 about 4" down. I was figuring wheatie or hopefully an indian. I was totally blown away when I uncovered a big green copper, so thankful I did'nt nick it with my big spade! First time I ever took anything but my trowel to dig with but figured I might encounter frozen dirt. I put it in my pocket, wondering what it was, fought the urge to rub it and kept hunting till it started raining. I have very lightly brushed it enough to see lots of detail on both sides, not doing any more cleaning until I get a good tip on what to do to clean the little remaining dirt without losing the beautiful patina. From looking at coins online and comparing them I think it's George 2 on the face, cant quite read the date on back yet. It's about 28mm dia. and 2 mm thick and about 8.5 grams with the extra dirt on it. This is my first large copper and my oldest coin so far. Supposed to cool off and freeze up so I'll probably have to wait till spring to go back, going to make it a long winter! I'll post pic's as soon as I figure out our new camera, I know how everyone loves pic's. I just had to share my find with people that can appreciate finding a first copper after 4 years!

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st one in 4 years...you sure deserve it. And in that state there should be plenty.

28mm, Daimeter is correct for a Geo II (bust facing left)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread