[BANNER] Unreal day!! Relics, and a 13 projectile point cache!!! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Unreal day!! Relics, and a 13 projectile point cache!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    317 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very nice finds. Those points will be a great display/conversation piece for your collection.

hu
    Dec 2007
    Hungary
    ACE 250
    620 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Excellent Day, congrats!

us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Connecticut
    Garrett AT PRO/Garrett Ace 250 + 8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer & Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Retired)
    1158 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    You stumbled into an artifact bonanza for sure!
    Nick
    PS: great avatar

"...if this is tea bring me coffee, and if it is coffee bring me tea."
    An unidentified “distinguished citizen of North Carolina, January 1840 in the “Madison Courier” of Madison, Indiana

us
    Mar 2009
    Riverview Florida
    F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
    302 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishstick View Post
    SIMPLY STUNNIN!!!!!!!! Your feet wont hit the ground for a long time to come.lol. By the way, how's ur friend takin the find knowin he's been huntin the site for years? CONGRATS on the BANNER!! HH

He took it in stride!....he ended up digging a couple of "blanks" about three feet away. I'm sure we'll all be back out there....

He had actually dug one like one of the smaller ones a while back, while digging another target....he is now kicking himself for not digging up the whole spot back then!

He is a great guy though! Not selfish at all, and he donates his finds to museums all the time.
    fishstick likes this.

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times
    WooHoo!!!!! ancient artifacts back up on the banner! WTG, congratulations!!! it's got me smilin'

us
    Feb 2011
    Western PA.
    F75 AT Pro Gold Infinium
    280 times
    Relic Hunting
    A dream find (and banner) for sure. Congrats!

us
    Mar 2009
    Riverview Florida
    F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
    302 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thanks Folks!!

I put updated pics on the other thread...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/no...-d-please.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts 001.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	724.5 KB 
ID:	717673

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts 018.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	707.8 KB 
ID:	717674
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    Unveiler of "Soiled" Secrets...

Jan 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
    7457 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Congratulations on finding an underground museum! Sub
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Erik in NJ likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    2003 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentium View Post
    Absolutely Banner , You will want to check that find in with the archies/anthropology folks in your area , it's that important !!!
    reason being - to find a quantity like that in one location -(a cache) and the style of these points is so similar , these are obviously
    from a known time period / culture , it may be the single best dicovery of it's kind in your area ever , as such, please carefully document
    the find precisely - this is a museum level find ! Congrats !!!! Argentium .
    First of all congrats on the rare cache of points -- they are beautiful even to the untrained eye! I agree with Argentium's post in that the pros have the means and resources (money and equipment as well as time) to properly document (for posterity) and excavate the site if warranted to extract as much information as possible about the site and culture responsible for the points. Otherwise there's the danger of this being lost forever which would indeed be a shame. I think more cooperation between detectorists and "archies/anthropology folks" is a good thing. I hope you'll contact them regarding this find and congrats again! Regards, Erik

us
    Dec 2012
    Florida
    3 times
    Nice find. These are Hillsborough type points. If you consider selling them, please email me greenbrier2339@hotmail.com

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1935 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    WOW what beautiful and LARGE points! Way to go on finding them and for making the banner! Now, go find some more! Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Mar 2009
    Riverview Florida
    F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
    302 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in NJ View Post
    First of all congrats on the rare cache of points -- they are beautiful even to the untrained eye! I agree with Argentium's post in that the pros have the means and resources (money and equipment as well as time) to properly document (for posterity) and excavate the site if warranted to extract as much information as possible about the site and culture responsible for the points. Otherwise there's the danger of this being lost forever which would indeed be a shame. I think more cooperation between detectorists and "archies/anthropology folks" is a good thing. I hope you'll contact them regarding this find and congrats again! Regards, Erik

I agree.....It's too bad that most of them refuse to cooperate with hobbyists, and amature historians/collectors.

The problem in Florida is...when you tell them about a site...there is a REAL good chance, that all they will do is make it "off limits", but never bother to excavate it. Then the site will get ravaged by illegal digging...and nothing will be accomplished. It's happened time and again. Some possibly very important sites will never be explored, unless they are paid to do it....and believe me....the SECOND the money runs out...it will look like they were abducted by aliens!

This site is on private property anyway, and I'm sure the landowner doesn't want any "officials" in there, or any attention. It has also been altered so much, that the whole trench digging and dating process will be useless.

We had an "Isolated Finds Program" in Florida for finds on public (HA!) lands, and river finds.....It required reporting of the finds, with a picture, and approximate location, plus gave the state at least a chance of buying an important find, or excavating an important site. "They" did away with it. Supposedly because it was "too expensive". I wonder how much it cost a year for some grad student to catalog the occasional email, or letter that made it's way to the powers that be? The same system works just fine for fossils......makes you wonder what the real reason for doing away with it was? I guess they think that a guy fishing, or kyaking, or whatever that sees a nice point in the water will just say..."oh that's nice" and paddle away now.....

I really wish it was different here...but it's going to take some "new faces" in those positions to bring common sense back into the mix.
    Last edited by Jon Phillips; Dec 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    lookindown likes this.

us
    dan

May 2011
    porterville calif...
    fisher 1212x,whites mxt
    584 times
    fantastic...WTG!!!!!

us
    Zodiacdiverdave

Mar 2011
    The North Atlantic Ocean
    XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
    1367 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Phillips View Post
    I agree.....It's too bad that most of them refuse to cooperate with hobbyists, and amature historians/collectors.

The problem in Florida is...when you tell them about a site...there is a REAL good chance, that all they will do is make it "off limits", but never bother to excavate it. Then the site will get ravaged by illegal digging...and nothing will be accomplished. It's happened time and again. Some possibly very important sites will never be explored, unless they are paid to do it....and believe me....the SECOND the money runs out...it will look like they were abducted by aliens!

This site is on private property anyway, and I'm sure the landowner doesn't want any "officials" in there, or any attention. It has also been altered so much, that the whole trench digging and dating process will be useless.

We had an "Isolated Finds Program" in Florida for finds on public (HA!) lands, and river finds.....It required reporting of the finds, with a picture, and approximate location, plus gave the state at least a chance of buying an important find, or excavating an important site. "They" did away with it. Supposedly because it was "too expensive". I wonder how much it cost a year for some grad student to catalog the occasional email, or letter that made it's way to the powers that be? The same system works just fine for fossils......makes you wonder what the real reason for doing away with it was? I guess they think that a guy fishing, or kyaking, or whatever that sees a nice point in the water will just say..."oh that's nice" and paddle away now.....

I really wish it was different here...but it's going to take some "new faces" in those positions to bring common sense back into the mix.
    You are absolutely right Jon, The archies in the USA and in Canada could take some lessons on the way the amateurs and pros work together in the UK.

UK detector finds database - Online

ZDD
    BTW, great find.
    fishstick likes this.
    Living the dream

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT, AT Pro
    280 times
    Sweet points congrats!