🥇 BANNER Unreal day!! Relics, and a 13 projectile point cache!!!

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still amped up from this, even though I'm exhausted!

Me, my father, and a good friend went relic hunting today at a site that my friend had hunted for years. It's been a good spot for him in the past, but isn't producing a whole lot these days. He had found a few musket balls recently, and invited us to hunt with him. We gladly took him up on it, as it was a beautiful day, and had rained yesterday, so the ground was conductive, and easy to dig in the sand. (not so much in the wet clay).

Not long into it, I found some melted camp lead, and then a nice .69 cal. musket ball.

IMG_20121227_105918.jpg

After a while, we had all found some musket balls, some buck shot from buck and ball loads, and some fired pistol shots, more camp lead, some iron relics, and some glass from an 1800's wine bottle, common to these sites.

Towards the end of the hunt, we decided to try another area at the site.

After a few more musket balls and buckshot, I got a signal that indicated another piece of buckshot.

As I was digging it, I heard a scrape that sounded like glass or ceramic, and saw what I thought was the side of a milkglass medicine bottle, and assumed I had detected the metal lid of it......As I put my fingers under it, and popped it out.....I almost had a heart attack, when out popped this.......

IMG_20121227_133359.jpg

IMG_20121227_133404.jpg

Not only was it the first complete point I had ever found....It is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen in person!

I was in shock, and called my dad over to look....I told him I hadn't dug the target yet, but he needed to come look! I was shaking!!

I dug the target, and it was a tiny piece of buckshot....

I calmed down, and we went back to hunting...but my mind wasn't really into it after that!

After about 30 or 40 minutes, I came to an area about 50 yards away that was covered in flakes...I picked up a handful to see if they matched the material of the point.

When we had about all we could take for the day, my dad said he had once found a nice point in a wash while bird hunting, and then found another on in the same spot a few weeks later...so I should go back and check that hole again......

I found the spot, and used his relic shovel to loosen the dirt (very carefully).....I heard a scrape, then pulled it out....and heard another scrape.

I stuck my hands in there and pulled this out.....

IMG_20121227_141154.jpg

I was freaking out, but managed to remember that other scrape....and reached back in and pulled out two broken tips.....I was about to be sick, then I noticed they had already been broken by the looks of them....so I decided to see if the rest of them were in the hole. They weren't, but the next handful brought these up....

IMG_20121227_141324.jpg

Of course at this point I am like a dog digging for a bone, and the next handful is a stack of about FIVE of them in one stack....I guess they were burried in a leather sack maybe, the way they were stacked up. They were all obviously made by the same man....then I guess stashed and he either died, was run off, or forgot about them or something...who knows....but they sat there for what thousands?? of years until I dug them up?

I imagine they represented some kind of wealth at the time.

It ended up being 13 points in all, counting the 3 broken tips.

IMG_20121227_143515.jpg

IMG_20121227_143519.jpg

I calmed down enough to get my buddy to come over...I showed him the first point, which I had put in my wallet, and he about freaked at how big, and nice it was....then I said: "Hey....look at this", and opened out my pockets with them stuffed in there!!! He perked up even more, and said: "What have you got there???" I said "thirteen in all....come over and see if you can find any more."

He dug up all around and finally popped out these two chunks that never got worked, about two feet away.....

IMG_20121227_145312.jpg

We called a couple of people on the way home...My buddy thinks they are Hillsborough Points. The consensus was a cached stash, and a hunting camp or villiage because of the abundance of flakes. I haven't cleaned them yet, but most seem to be coral. I've heard it's a one in a million deal to find a cache of points...let alone ones like these.

It's definately a once in a lifetime deal for me...and I'm thankful for my dad and my buddy being there to witness, and share it with me!!!

A very nice start for my point finding career!!! :laughing7:

We talked about how hard it would be to believe, if we didn't see it with our own eyes...

IMG_20121227_151331.jpg

IMG_20121227_151336.jpg

Everything together except some big iron...mostly railroad stuff...and one item that might be a section of musket barrel....I'll have to get a better look tomorrow.....

IMG_20121227_192531.jpg

IMG_20121227_192543.jpg

IMG_20121227_192550.jpg

IMG_20121227_192605.jpg

IMG_20121227_192643.jpg

IMG_20121227_192650.jpg

IMG_20121227_192657.jpg

IMG_20121227_192703.jpg

Those are camera phone shots...and that's a quarter in those last few shots.....

I'm extremely happy with the way today turned out!!!

Edit: Added some new pics to the thread in the North American Artifacts forum...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...-found-point-cache-today-help-i-d-please.html

artifacts 003.JPG

artifacts 018.JPG

And what I think is a rifle barrel that my dad found...

artifacts 022.JPG

artifacts 020.JPG

artifacts 024.JPG

artifacts 026.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 54
OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!

I still can't hardly believe how lucky I was....

I have them on my wall, and get to look at them every day, and remember the awesome day of hunting with my dad, and my buddy!!

Points001.jpg

Points002.jpg

Points003.jpg

Gomer

Apr 24, 2013
Florida/E. Tenn
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulation Jon! You are now a member of a very small group of people fortunate enough to belong in it, "Cache Finder"...:) Great story and so fortunate to be with your dad and take his advice to look a little further! As my dad and I were two of the three finders of the "Bat Wing" Cache, I speak from experience. Our cache like yours was pure luck with no expectations at all on our find. Please ignore any disbelievers on your cache, it is a compliment on the artifacts themselves to have the doubt from people who have nothing to do with their finding. It is pure greed that makes doubters, plain and simple. I remember the first time we displayed our "Bat Wing" cache and all the doubters....even to this day there doubters at every turn. It was the first time my wife had been around the naysayers of the artifact world and it was all I could do that day to keep her in check...rotfl! I even got a friend from that experience, in the form of the editor of the popular "IAM" magazine. He had some buddies with him and their display was right behind ours, within earshot of the wife. They were the first wave of doubters she encountered. Gary (Fogelman), the editor and I get a laugh from that experience when ever I see him since then.
You need to write your experiences down, as family history....and honor to your dad.
You are completely right in your words about the sad state of affairs our state is in on artifacts. We need new faces with some common sense for sure.....our country to for that matter!!
There is no one in power in this state that cares one thing about any Archaic site, much less any type of Archaic artifact. There is no money or advancement to be made in studying something they know all they are ever going to know about it....or care to know. Archaeology is a dying profession and the new waves in power now only want to try and keep their livelihood in place. The sad bottom line is: History is interesting for sure, but no one pays any attention to it. People are like the hula hoop, we keep circling the same mountain time and time again. :(

It matters none where your artifacts came from as far as the masses are concerned. Many will try and shame you into telling them what they need not know. Most folks only want that information so when they tell the story about the find it makes them feel they are part of it. Rumors will fly, be sure of it, and most will be so funny and unbelievable. I wish I had wrote down every rumor and swearing of the truth about the "Bat Wing" cache, it would be a small journal. Even now 30 years prior I see things said that are not true....even in a post on this web site where one individual said our cache was 3 separate caches? I think since it took us 3 days to find all our cache that this is where this versions of 3 separate caches has come from?? This is a good time to plug the journal we had printed 30 years ago to honor the find and to also share with the world history that could/would have been lost forever. It tells the story of the find, the point types, diagrams of the depths found, locations of each point in relation to each other and personal comments. It also show a color actual size picture of each point and in the order they were found. If anyone reads this journal and then relays any information, they will be telling the story as it happened.
It's the story of the find that is what hunting artifacts is about and who/what was with you and happened. The artifacts are all playing second fiddle. There are many more great treasures to find and many will be bigger and better than anything that has been found to date.
Again Kudos on a great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Gomer

Attachments

• red_white_blue.JPG
    red_white_blue.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 152

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice display case of your finds. I read back through this thread again. Simply amazing. To think you held in your hand something painstakingly fashioned that long ago is incredible. Gives me chills.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find! Great post too. Narrative with play by play pics really cool!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation Jon! You are now a member of a very small group of people fortunate enough to belong in it, "Cache Finder"...:) Great story and so fortunate to be with your dad and take his advice to look a little further! As my dad and I were two of the three finders of the "Bat Wing" Cache, I speak from experience. Our cache like yours was pure luck with no expectations at all on our find. Please ignore any disbelievers on your cache, it is a compliment on the artifacts themselves to have the doubt from people who have nothing to do with their finding. It is pure greed that makes doubters, plain and simple. I remember the first time we displayed our "Bat Wing" cache and all the doubters....even to this day there doubters at every turn. It was the first time my wife had been around the naysayers of the artifact world and it was all I could do that day to keep her in check...rotfl! I even got a friend from that experience, in the form of the editor of the popular "IAM" magazine. He had some buddies with him and their display was right behind ours, within earshot of the wife. They were the first wave of doubters she encountered. Gary (Fogelman), the editor and I get a laugh from that experience when ever I see him since then.
You need to write your experiences down, as family history....and honor to your dad.
You are completely right in your words about the sad state of affairs our state is in on artifacts. We need new faces with some common sense for sure.....our country to for that matter!!
There is no one in power in this state that cares one thing about any Archaic site, much less any type of Archaic artifact. There is no money or advancement to be made in studying something they know all they are ever going to know about it....or care to know. Archaeology is a dying profession and the new waves in power now only want to try and keep their livelihood in place. The sad bottom line is: History is interesting for sure, but no one pays any attention to it. People are like the hula hoop, we keep circling the same mountain time and time again. :(

It matters none where your artifacts came from as far as the masses are concerned. Many will try and shame you into telling them what they need not know. Most folks only want that information so when they tell the story about the find it makes them feel they are part of it. Rumors will fly, be sure of it, and most will be so funny and unbelievable. I wish I had wrote down every rumor and swearing of the truth about the "Bat Wing" cache, it would be a small journal. Even now 30 years prior I see things said that are not true....even in a post on this web site where one individual said our cache was 3 separate caches? I think since it took us 3 days to find all our cache that this is where this versions of 3 separate caches has come from?? This is a good time to plug the journal we had printed 30 years ago to honor the find and to also share with the world history that could/would have been lost forever. It tells the story of the find, the point types, diagrams of the depths found, locations of each point in relation to each other and personal comments. It also show a color actual size picture of each point and in the order they were found. If anyone reads this journal and then relays any information, they will be telling the story as it happened.
It's the story of the find that is what hunting artifacts is about and who/what was with you and happened. The artifacts are all playing second fiddle. There are many more great treasures to find and many will be bigger and better than anything that has been found to date.
Again Kudos on a great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....Gomer

Well said!!!
Thanks for the comments.

The rumor mill has already started for sure!!! I already had to defend myself on here, because it was claimed that I had sold them, and didn't appreciate them! That couldn't be further from the truth!!!

I understand that there is a "Citizen's Archaeology Permit" similar to the Fossil Permit, that is being considered....Wouldn't it be nice if everyone showed their support for this, and wiped out the chance of accidentally committing a felony by picking up a wheat penny from the river??

Thanks again for posting, and setting the record straight on your fantastic find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Gomer on two significant finds. Jon's and yours. I am glad that Jon shared his find with us and feel t-net gave him a good reception and was appreciative. It was a fun post to watch and read as it unfolded.

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree...I couldn't have asked for a better reception! Much less drama than I anticipated!

I figured the find would be doubted...as I was having a hard time believing it was true...and I was there!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bringing back a few oldie but goody finds. They are still out there just have to find them, rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions