Seated Liberty Half Dollars! My first detecting video.

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800

Attachments

• seated 12-30-12 dirty.jpg
    seated 12-30-12 dirty.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 284
  • seated 12-30-12 clean.jpg
    seated 12-30-12 clean.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 8

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a Great video right up until you started rubbing them, The after shots shows alot of new scratches on the one for sure.
That broke my heart Why would anyone want to ruin What could have been an EXtremely valuble coin ? PLEASE DON'T do that

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. A dream day...........

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about not rubbing the coins as the rubbing with dirt on them scratches the coin. Sooo after the coin has been found what is the best thing to do with it out in the field and once it is at home? Or, how to protect a just found coin in the field and how to clean it at home?

For myself I've never found a coin larger than a silver quarter (sigh) and I plunked it into a little bottle of oil I carry with me.

Inputs will be interesting...........63bkpkr

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG winlow, :thumbsup: 18 seated halves ! Yeah , everyone means well about rubbing dirt , I carry an old wallet that holds any silver coins until I can get them back to the house . At least Testing 123 didn't hit you with his Best cleaning scolding . This one is his most used and my favorite , " You might as well take a belt sander to those " . :laughing9: luv that one , and he is absolutely correct .
Can't see them to well , the one looks like a 1859 S , did you mention the dates on the latest big silvers ???

Hope you get some more !

CMD

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree about not rubbing the coins as the rubbing with dirt on them scratches the coin. Sooo after the coin has been found what is the best thing to do with it out in the field and once it is at home? Or, how to protect a just found coin in the field and how to clean it at home?

For myself I've never found a coin larger than a silver quarter (sigh) and I plunked it into a little bottle of oil I carry with me.

Inputs will be interesting...........63bkpkr

Carry toilet paper or paper towel,and either use carried water or a stream,or pond holding the coin by the rim try to WASH away any dirt DONT TOUCH THE SURFACE,then moisten the paper and gently wrap the coin,and put it in something like a film canister or pill bottle

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like the Tennessee state flag stars, maybe tie ends or buttons from a pouch or coin purse...

Last edited:

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a haul!

Maybe you should bring some sandpaper next time to rub the dirt off. Not sure all that rubbing did enough damage. I can't stress it enough... Don't rub silver coins. You will put scratches on them and damage them forever. We would rather see an initial dirty disc than a hairlined coin.

No one cares what you want to see on here. Great finds! Rub whatever you want!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may think that no ones care about what I or others want to see on here BUT! Maybe we're trying to express to the young hunters on here what not to do. It could
be that one of the new folks goes out today and the MDing Gods shine on them and they dig a 1870cc Twenty Dollar Gold Peice with Dirt stuck to it really Bad, They are
frantic to see what they Got So they go to rubbing the Heck outta it! And when they
finally get home and check it out, Instead of it being a $147,500 VF20 coin, Now with all the scratches on. When he goes to have it graded it's graded a lot less than that and
And worth a lot less as well! Maybe he sees the posts on this thread and remembers
NOT!!! to rub the coin off, Maybe, just maybe.....Thats what we're trying to get across..............................HH

P.S.
jmho

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
No one cares what you want to see on here. Great finds! Rub whatever you want!

Guesss I'm not sure why you would offer this advice. No one wants scratched coins. It is certainly exciting finding silver and we all want to know what it is. Why permanently damage it when you can wait a couple hours and spare most or all of the scratches. I equate it to getting a package in the mail. You can run it over with your truck to open it but I enjoy the excitement of waiting to uncover its beauty and open it carefully and slowly. If he wants to rub it its his decision alone but we are offering our advice that rubbing isn't the best method. Although CMD would appreciate the belt sander method :-).

Last edited:

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guesss I'm not sure why you would offer this advice. No one wants scratched coins. It is certainly exciting finding silver and we all want to know what it is. Why permanently damage it when you can wait a couple hours and spare most or all of the scratches. I equate it to getting a package in the mail. You can run it over with your truck to open it but I enjoy the excitement of waiting to uncover its beauty and open it carefully and slowly. If he wants to rub it its his decision alone but we are offering our advice that rubbing isn't the best method. Although CMD would appreciate the belt sander method :-).

My point is that you obviously aren't telling this guy anything he doesn't already know and the sarcasm is just annoying. Everyone knows you shouldn't rub silver (or gold) but the excitment took over and it happens. You're reasoning was it isn't what you want to see on here, not a humble admonishment for younger hunters. My advice is not to rub coins, but to ignore holier than thou coin rubbing snobbery and enjoy getting lost in the moment. You wanna help coin hunters? Just state the facts. Save that comedy gold for open mic night.

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's fantastic! i can only dream of finding a coin cache like that...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the video, the coins are AWESOME, I was super excited for Winslow. Many congratulations on a rare and wonderful find!

I admit that when the rubbing started, it made me cringe.

Testing123's "sandpaper" comment made me chuckle. Explaining why not to rub coins is a good thing, Toorude needs to snap out of it...

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! You found 5 and I'm still searching for my first! Congratulations! :icon_thumright:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to apologize to all for any feelings hurt by any comments about not rubbing dirt covered found coins as I believe this was not the intent of any of the posts. As stated above I feel the intent was to inform everyone that rubbing dirt covered coins Drastically reduces the value of a rubbed coin and therefore limits the potential that the finder of an extraordinary coin or even a simple coin might receive should they choose to sell said coin.

Secondly, thank you for sharing with all your methods for protecting found coins while still out in the field.........63bkpkr

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800

About the rubbing of the coins .... Yes I do know better but in the moment I just did it. I don't think I rubbed the last one at all. The best one from a numismatic standpoint was the 1857S and that one is partially clipped on the edges so no harm done on that one. Anyway ... thanks for the multiple scoldings and reminders. If I'm fortunate enough to find more I'll certainly be more cautious.

VBCurt

Oct 6, 2012
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 and PRO Pointer
That is an awsome spill. It would be my hot spot for weeks. Are you going to collect them or sell them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread