More Keepers !!! At the 1790s Colonial site ....

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Keepers !!! At the 1790's Colonial site ....

Once again this week has been a complete joy…with the holiday season here and all the seasonal celebrations starting to happen, the weather here in western N.Y. is still fantastic; So with the 1790’s site still giving up some nice coins, my plan was to go back and start where I left off. Last Sunday when Timmy, Jeff and I were detecting the cow pasture, we all found some nice finds and had a great day. When we were done detecting, we decided to go and have a pop at a very old Tavern / restaurant, which is located not far from where we were. Inside I said to both of my fellow detectors “ lets hope the weather stays like this so we can come back and give it another go”. :)

PA140008 Large Web view.jpg
PA140001 Large Web view.jpg

Tuesday morning with the sun shining, I made my way back to the site to give it another try. First I stopped to see the landowner once again and gave him some Girl Scout cookies my daughter sells each year. We have plenty left, so why not. ;) He was very happy when I gave them to him, and told me he has not had them in years, since his daughter was in scouts herself. Then he mentioned that he wanted to give me some written permission to hunt the land whenever I would like just in case anyone stopped and asked what I was doing on his property. That was very nice of him, so after we talked for a while, I made my way to an area that he asked me to check because he lost some keys. I said no problem I will check it out. But after an hour there were no keys….. I made my way back to the cow pasture and started where I left off the last time out, the exact spot where the 1812 Tiffin token came out. After about 20 minutes or so, I finally got a decent hit, it was a flat button…with plenty lost and found, they are very common in most Colonial sites. I continued on in this area, being full of red brick and nails, you really have to work to find those signals worth digging. I finally got a hit that was encouraging, and after digging down 8 inches or so, out popped a nice Classic head large cent. …Date - 1812…this one is the second one that I have found at this site.

PA140019 Large Web view.jpg

I continued on and a short time later another great hit, this one better than the last. Once again plenty of brick and glass, then I saw another coin. When you check that pile of dirt and just hear those headphones ring off you head, you know it’s a coin or something good. It was a Flowing haired large cent with no date, the reverse is in nice shape but the face is kind of rough! So as I continued I found a couple more buttons and then decided it’s a good time to take a lunch break! Now that the stomach is filled, I will most likely need someone the dig for me!!! Lololol The Ham & Salami sandwiches were very good…. and filling!!…But hey, when your digging Relics you will sure find a way! The next find was interesting, made of iron it looked like one of the old Musket ball pullers. Some of the old Pistols got jammed and the lead ball had to be removed. The way they did that was to screw a device that looked like this one into the lead ball, (when turned) it could then bore into the stuck lead ball and be pulled from the gun barrel. Now is this that devise??? Or could it be an antique corkscrew! That’s the question!

PA180023 Large Web view.jpg

With the time starting to run out for this day of detecting, I started walking back to my truck and in doing so, I just happened to drift in an area that in the past we had no luck finding anything. In this pasture the left side has not given up that nice coin or Relic, so walking back I got a huge hit at a depth of 10 inches or so. Out came another Flowing haired large cent 1807…not in the best of shape but when you can see the date that’s good enough for me! A short time later I found a Gold cuff button, this being one of the best I have seen come out of the ground here. I just like finding the old buttons. Anyone that I have detecting with over the years know that I will go to a place and dig buttons all day if I can! :) ;)

PA180027 Large Web view.jpg
PA180024 725x543.jpg

PA180025 725x543.jpg
PA140015 Large Web view.jpg
I now know that the area we were in before is giving up some goodies. It won’t be easy!! These pieces were very deep, so going nice and slow with the wet ground, I believe played a big part in finding these last two items! Thanks again for reading. Hope everyone has a great Holiday!

Keep on Digging !!!

The Seeker

Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: More Keepers !!! At the 1790's Colonial site ....

:o amazing finds :o

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Great to see you are still getting some goodies out of there! Keep it up!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX

Jealous as he77 of the history in your area!!

Beautiful Seeker...just beautiful!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seeker

Those are some awesome L C .

Man I wish I had some around this area. Seems like all I have around here is Silver.
I have 1 L C from 1821 and found that back in 1987
I would love to add another L C to my collection .
1 of these days .
Congrats on those recoveries

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

You did it again, Seek! Thanks for the story and pictures...and the inspiration! ;) :o

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow!

Nice!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds...you have an awesome spot there!

flip

Jan 29, 2005
kansas city/ osceola missouri
Detector(s) used
garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba

Looks like you have a great spot there, cattle even muched the grass down for easy swinging. Maybe your iron piece is a button hook, bullet pullers were more of a screw design to bore into the center of the bullet. Hope you find his keys, that would keep your invite open for a long time.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the nice finds! I find some of the same type buttons here in Germany "London Colour". HH, Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Leave some cois for the rest of us! ;D

HH
-GC

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL

Wow,that place keeps giving it up for you.Great finds.Those coins are great and that gold button is really cool too.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Sounds like a wonderful time. That Salami sandwich sounds good right now. Nate and I usually only get peanutbutter and jelly for our hunts. :P

Nice to find some more old large cents. Other stuff is cool too.

Bob

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOW THAT WAS A GREAT POST!! I thought I was digging with you. Good looking finds congrats. HH

Burdie :)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Fantastic day for you ...beautiful weather and great finds.
That corkscrew is fabulous and so is the 1812 and gold button.
Before WWll and before wine was ever corked, all kinds of substances were often stored in corked containers: beer, medicine, cosmetics and food. Many of these corked items required small corkscrews.

Who invented the first corkscrew? Corkscrew historian Ron McLean from the "The Virtual Corkscrew Museum" had this to say:

"It is unknown when and who made the first corkscrew. The first corkscrews were derived from a gun worme, a tool with a single or double spiral end fitting used to clean musket barrels or to extract an unspent charge from the barrel. By the early 17th century corkscrews for removing corks were made by blacksmiths as using a cork to stopper a bottle was well established."Corkscrew inventors were inspired by a tool called the bulletscrew or gun worm, a device that extracted stuck bullets from rifles. McLean lists the following corkscrew patents gathered from his research as being firsts in several respective countries.

The Virtual Corkscrew Museum is a great site to go to and has tons of great pics and info.....
http://www.bullworks.net/virtual.htm

Attachments

• contentment.jpg
    contentment.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 531

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions