🥇 BANNER First hunt of 2013 produces multiple colonial silver!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good hunting buddy Dan and I got back out yesterday and hit our new site for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time, and the first time since before Christmas. This place is very early and holds a high probability of containing colonial silver, although we had yet to swing our coils over a nice coin before today. Dan had been under the weather for a few days and wasn’t sure he could even make it out, but the lure of those early colonial relics was too great and he was determined to get out and hunt the entire day. We started out gridding where we left off in the field last time. It’s a large area with loads of iron, brick and black glass and it’s produced a decent amount of relics during the first 2 trips, but not that killer find we’ve both been looking for. About halfway through the hunt just as we were starting a new area Dan hollers over to me to come check out what we both thought might be a hammered silver coin lying in the dirt pile. Sure enough, it turned out to be an Elizabeth I sixpence and it was Dan’s first hammered coin, and likely from the 1500s at that. It was very exciting to be able to witness Dan making that find. Not to be outdone I soon dug a nice 1768 half reale only about 50 ft from where Dan’s coin had come from. And not long after that Dan pulled out another first – a rarely seen very tiny ¼ reale. I dug one of those about 10 years ago, but don’t recall ever seeing another one on the forums. The back-and-forth continued and not far from where I dug the ½ reale I got a promising signal and unexpectedly found myself holding a 1698 cob. And only a few feet from that I unearthed an early coin and an apothecary weight. So this was turning out to be quite a day for both of us. I also dug this small and very thin silver item that at first I thought was a coin, but after further examination I was pretty sure it wasn't. But Crusader recognized it from the pic as a rare British Commonwealth silver penny from the reign of Cromwell during the mid-1600s which was a shock as I had no idea (see link in his reply below). We soon finished up gridding that section, but since the sun getting low and we had to start making the long trek back to the trucks. Other than the coins we both dug a nice variety of other interesting colonial relics including lots of buttons, buckle pieces, and other early do-dads. My take for the day is shown in the pics below along with a couple shots of Dan’s coins. It was a super fun day and I can’t wait to return to what’s becoming a very productive site.

Attachments

• 010313a.JPG
    010313a.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,708
  • 010313b.JPG
    010313b.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 010313c.JPG
    010313c.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 010313d.JPG
    010313d.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 010313f.JPG
    010313f.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,237
  • dans hammered2.JPG
    dans hammered2.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,088
  • dans hammered1.JPG
    dans hammered1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • dans qtr reale.JPG
    dans qtr reale.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,124
Last edited:
Upvote 30

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW Cru - I had no idea that thin little sliver of junk was a coin. Thought it was a piece of trash. Thank you so much for the ID. It's not in good shape but I'm still tickled with it now that I know what it is. And to answer your question, that small coin with the castle is a mid-1700s 1/4 reale. They are extremely hard to come by. I dug one myself about 10 years ago, but haven't seen another one posted on any forum since that time. Thanks again for your help ..... Bill

These coins circulated in Only in American continent ... here just half reale chopping .. Other silver coins or copper coins ...
you had a very good day! :thumbsup:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day and an AMAZING start for 2013. Continued success to you! Are you doing your hunting in VA?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG BILL!!! I dont know which one to vote BANNER on? WAIT, WAIT, BANNER THEM ALL!!!! CONGRATS.. HH

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simply incredible. That's a dream site with dream results. Well done!

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't targets like that every day be SWEET!!!!!

Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill and Dan, this has to be one of the best posts for showing varied early colonial era finds in quite some time. The different silver coins, the beautiful buckles, the coin weight and other relics (except that dang nickel :) ) are just outstanding. Thanks to Cru for IDing that penny for you that you thought was not a coin but is afteall and evidently a desired coin. You guys had a banner day for sure...........
I have to ask my son, I believe he found a 1/4 Real, but think it was much later in time and may have been copper, not sure of my memory on that...............

Don

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day you guys had, Bill!!! Extremely rare finds for the US...........Well Done!!!!!!!

Iowa Dale

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't stop coming back to this post and looking at all the great Colonial finds and how rare they are. Especially in my area. You guys are on a great spot. I do not know what you can do to beat finds like that? Congratulations.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - southeast VA is my playground.

I know VA is a great place to hunt, as I do all of mine there, but you are in an exceptional area man. Congrats again.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SPEECHLESS---:notworthy:-----:occasion14:------:headbang:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill essentially lives across from Jamestown on the James River, the first permanent English settlement in America in 1607. Thousands of Englishmen (and women) came to the area and settled up and down the James. They didn't really expand from that area of Virginia until the Indian treaty in 1646 so that area is has a lot of really old settlements (for America). The other great thing about his part of Virginia is that most relic hunters are all about finding Civil War relics and that leaves the old colonial sites ripe for the pickin'. It's not just luck for Bill though because he puts in countless hours of research that really enables him to find just the right spots to detect. Who else can say they found a cache of hammered English silver in America?

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill essentially lives across from Jamestown on the James River, the first permanent English settlement in America in 1607. Thousands of Englishmen (and women) came to the area and settled up and down the James. They didn't really expand from that area of Virginia until the Indian treaty in 1646 so that area is has a lot of really old settlements (for America). The other great thing about his part of Virginia is that most relic hunters are all about finding Civil War relics and that leaves the old colonial sites ripe for the pickin'. It's not just luck for Bill though because he puts in countless hours of research that really enables him to find just the right spots to detect. Who else can say they found a cache of hammered English silver in America?

shhhh don't give away all the secrets ha

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on some amazing finds. I must admit that I am quite jealous of you guys having access to sites that can produce such old finds. Someone is really good at their research and obviously spends a lot of time doing it. Way to go!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! Bill............Ya'll both knocked it outta da'park. Amazing and I love seeing the "Buff"
mixed in with all the other finds..........Keep up the good work......................HH

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Amazing hunt, great succes, keep hunting that spot, forsuremore to come!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, again congrats to both of you, I checked with my son and Yes and No was his answer on finding a 1/4 Real. His was a 1820 1/4 Real, he believes is Columbian and made of Copper. At least my memory was correct on him finding a 1/4 Real, just not a silver one as we think of.

Attachments

• 1820 quarter real Dan.jpg
    1820 quarter real Dan.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 114

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread