Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: First hunt of 2013 produces multiple colonial silver!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    SE Virginia
    F75, MXT, CZ-21
    2340 times
    Colonial relic hunting and pit digging
    Banner Finds (3)

First hunt of 2013 produces multiple colonial silver!!

My good hunting buddy Dan and I got back out yesterday and hit our new site for the 3rd time, and the first time since before Christmas. This place is very early and holds a high probability of containing colonial silver, although we had yet to swing our coils over a nice coin before today. Dan had been under the weather for a few days and wasn’t sure he could even make it out, but the lure of those early colonial relics was too great and he was determined to get out and hunt the entire day. We started out gridding where we left off in the field last time. It’s a large area with loads of iron, brick and black glass and it’s produced a decent amount of relics during the first 2 trips, but not that killer find we’ve both been looking for. About halfway through the hunt just as we were starting a new area Dan hollers over to me to come check out what we both thought might be a hammered silver coin lying in the dirt pile. Sure enough, it turned out to be an Elizabeth I sixpence and it was Dan’s first hammered coin, and likely from the 1500s at that. It was very exciting to be able to witness Dan making that find. Not to be outdone I soon dug a nice 1768 half reale only about 50 ft from where Dan’s coin had come from. And not long after that Dan pulled out another first – a rarely seen very tiny reale. I dug one of those about 10 years ago, but don’t recall ever seeing another one on the forums. The back-and-forth continued and not far from where I dug the reale I got a promising signal and unexpectedly found myself holding a 1698 cob. And only a few feet from that I unearthed an early coin and an apothecary weight. So this was turning out to be quite a day for both of us. I also dug this small and very thin silver item that at first I thought was a coin, but after further examination I was pretty sure it wasn't. But Crusader recognized it from the pic as a rare British Commonwealth silver penny from the reign of Cromwell during the mid-1600s which was a shock as I had no idea (see link in his reply below). We soon finished up gridding that section, but since the sun getting low and we had to start making the long trek back to the trucks. Other than the coins we both dug a nice variety of other interesting colonial relics including lots of buttons, buckle pieces, and other early do-dads. My take for the day is shown in the pics below along with a couple shots of Dan’s coins. It was a super fun day and I can’t wait to return to what’s becoming a very productive site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010313a.JPG 
Views:	1222 
Size:	654.2 KB 
ID:	720869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010313b.JPG 
Views:	792 
Size:	390.8 KB 
ID:	720870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010313c.JPG 
Views:	692 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	720871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010313d.JPG 
Views:	822 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	720872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010313f.JPG 
Views:	892 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	720873  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dans hammered2.JPG 
Views:	760 
Size:	283.6 KB 
ID:	720880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dans hammered1.JPG 
Views:	765 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	720881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dans qtr reale.JPG 
Views:	789 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	720882  
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); Apr 11, 2013 at 07:05 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Pull-tab Rescue Squad Leader

Feb 2008
    Mitchellville, MD
    M6, IDX Pro, F75LTD, Sandshark, Whites PI Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    192 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good God that is outstanding.

A cob would be a dream of mine. The rest makes it a cazy day, our start to 2013 was harsh but we don't like jumping the gates at the start

Whats the small silver with the castle?

I like the buckles as well.

The weight is a British 5 pennyweight for weighing bullion. (Bullion Weight 1600-1850)

Looks like you have a rare Commonwealth coin as well?! (under Cromwell during the English CW)
    http://www.timelineauctions.com/lot/...th-penny/2047/
    Last edited by CRUSADER; Jan 04, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Steve in PA, IAMZIM and Mr.T like this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Nov 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12. Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    63 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Boy that's tough living when you have colonial sites to sift through .. I suppose if you found nothing but wheaties you would probably throw in the towel and find another hobby . . lol !
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MNcoinhunter?feature=mhee

Northern Minnesota

2013 digs : C'mon Spring ! !

us
    Jan 2006
    Palm Harbor, FL
    excal / Fisher
    67 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Banner Finds !!!!!!
    Wow way to go, any day with that much silver is Outstanding. Picture 6 I think is the one that you thought was a coin, if you really close at your pic, I think you will see the majority of the design! Yes I think that is a coin, just very faint!

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2005
    va beach, va
    se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
    415 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Bill
    another great spin you 2 had.
    fine looking silver tickets also
    good luck on your next adventure
    <")))))<>(

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    SE Virginia
    F75, MXT, CZ-21
    2340 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by kc10bull View Post
    Banner Finds !!!!!!
    Wow way to go, any day with that much silver is Outstanding. Picture 6 I think is the one that you thought was a coin, if you really close at your pic, I think you will see the majority of the design! Yes I think that is a coin, just very faint!
    I don't think you're looking at the correct item. If you click on the first pic to enlarge and look just below the 2 silver coins, you'll see a small, thin silver item with a shield that has a cross on it. That's what I was referring to. When it first came out of the ground covered in dirt I thought it was a small silver coin. But that's not what it is.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2008
    SE Virginia
    F75, MXT, CZ-21
    2340 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    A cob would be a dream of mine. The rest makes it a cazy day, our start to 2013 was harsh but we don't like jumping the gates at the start

Whats the small silver with the castle?

I like the buckles as well.

The weight is a British 5 pennyweight for weighing bullion. (Bullion Weight 1600-1850)

Looks like you have a rare Commonwealth coin as well?! (under Cromwell during the English CW)
    Stuart Commonwealth - Penny
    WOW Cru - I had no idea that thin little sliver of junk was a coin. Thought it was a piece of trash. Thank you so much for the ID. It's not in good shape but I'm still tickled with it now that I know what it is. And to answer your question, that small coin with the castle is a mid-1700s 1/4 reale. They are extremely hard to come by. I dug one myself about 10 years ago, but haven't seen another one posted on any forum since that time. Thanks again for your help ..... Bill

us
    Dec 2009
    in your back yard
    excal 2 Fisher F75 SE
    286 times
    Nice score, Bill I've only seen one other Commonwealth coin found 1610. Found by my friend in a field I brought him to in Ma.HH This Bear is so green with envy it's coming out my eyes!!
    Broken Knee Bill this is the one my friend found
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Broken knee; Jan 04, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    WOW Cru - I had no idea that thin little sliver of junk was a coin. Thought it was a piece of trash. Thank you so much for the ID. It's not in good shape but I'm still tickled with it now that I know what it is. And to answer your question, that small coin with the castle is a mid-1700s 1/4 reale. They are extremely hard to come by. I dug one myself about 10 years ago, but haven't seen another one posted on any forum since that time. Thanks again for your help ..... Bill

That's some great stuff and I'm a bit surprised you didn't recognize that as a silver coin.... if anyone should know it should be you! lol

I can't think of how early those little 1/4 reals date, but do know they go into the 1790s / early 1800s. I've owned a few but it has been quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken knee View Post
    Nice score, Bill I've only seen one other Commonwealth coin found 1610. Found by my friend in a field I brought him to in Ma.HH This Bear is so green with envy it's coming out my eyes!!
    Broken Knee
    1610 is not Commonwealth, way too early.

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    Depending on the size & whether it has a 'II' or a 'I' over the 2 shields on the reverse side, its either a Halfgroat or a Penny. They are not all that valueable but they are a rare UK detecting find & I think your the first US to post one. I'm voting banner on this one!
    You think you have CW nuts, we do to, & they would love a coin like that!

us
    Oct 2010
    The Garden State
    Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
    791 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    One word: WOW!

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    192 times

us
    Jan 2005
    Panhandle of Florida
    T2 SE,Sovereign Elite,two Excal II s and a cibola
    520 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Holy$#@! what a dig! Fantastic assortment you have there. Wow,I don't know what I like best, The spanish silver or the buckles . Huge congrats on a great start to the new year.
    God and country.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors