🥇 BANNER First hunt of 2013 produces multiple colonial silver!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good hunting buddy Dan and I got back out yesterday and hit our new site for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time, and the first time since before Christmas. This place is very early and holds a high probability of containing colonial silver, although we had yet to swing our coils over a nice coin before today. Dan had been under the weather for a few days and wasn’t sure he could even make it out, but the lure of those early colonial relics was too great and he was determined to get out and hunt the entire day. We started out gridding where we left off in the field last time. It’s a large area with loads of iron, brick and black glass and it’s produced a decent amount of relics during the first 2 trips, but not that killer find we’ve both been looking for. About halfway through the hunt just as we were starting a new area Dan hollers over to me to come check out what we both thought might be a hammered silver coin lying in the dirt pile. Sure enough, it turned out to be an Elizabeth I sixpence and it was Dan’s first hammered coin, and likely from the 1500s at that. It was very exciting to be able to witness Dan making that find. Not to be outdone I soon dug a nice 1768 half reale only about 50 ft from where Dan’s coin had come from. And not long after that Dan pulled out another first – a rarely seen very tiny ¼ reale. I dug one of those about 10 years ago, but don’t recall ever seeing another one on the forums. The back-and-forth continued and not far from where I dug the ½ reale I got a promising signal and unexpectedly found myself holding a 1698 cob. And only a few feet from that I unearthed an early coin and an apothecary weight. So this was turning out to be quite a day for both of us. I also dug this small and very thin silver item that at first I thought was a coin, but after further examination I was pretty sure it wasn't. But Crusader recognized it from the pic as a rare British Commonwealth silver penny from the reign of Cromwell during the mid-1600s which was a shock as I had no idea (see link in his reply below). We soon finished up gridding that section, but since the sun getting low and we had to start making the long trek back to the trucks. Other than the coins we both dug a nice variety of other interesting colonial relics including lots of buttons, buckle pieces, and other early do-dads. My take for the day is shown in the pics below along with a couple shots of Dan’s coins. It was a super fun day and I can’t wait to return to what’s becoming a very productive site.

Attachments

• 010313a.JPG
    010313a.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 1,706
  • 010313b.JPG
    010313b.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 1,121
  • 010313c.JPG
    010313c.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 010313d.JPG
    010313d.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 010313f.JPG
    010313f.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 1,236
  • dans qtr reale.JPG
    dans qtr reale.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • dans hammered1.JPG
    dans hammered1.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,105
  • dans hammered2.JPG
    dans hammered2.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:
Upvote 30

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cob would be a dream of mine. The rest makes it a cazy day, our start to 2013 was harsh but we don't like jumping the gates at the start:laughing7:

Whats the small silver with the castle?

I like the buckles as well.

The weight is a British 5 pennyweight for weighing bullion. (Bullion Weight 1600-1850)

Looks like you have a rare Commonwealth coin as well?! (under Cromwell during the English CW)
http://www.timelineauctions.com/lot/commonwealth-penny/2047/

Last edited:

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that's tough living when you have colonial sites to sift through .. I suppose if you found nothing but wheaties you would probably throw in the towel and find another hobby . . lol !

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Banner Finds !!!!!!
Wow way to go, any day with that much silver is Outstanding. Picture 6 I think is the one that you thought was a coin, if you really close at your pic, I think you will see the majority of the design! Yes I think that is a coin, just very faint!

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill
another great spin you 2 had.
fine looking silver tickets also
good luck on your next adventure

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Banner Finds !!!!!!
Wow way to go, any day with that much silver is Outstanding. Picture 6 I think is the one that you thought was a coin, if you really close at your pic, I think you will see the majority of the design! Yes I think that is a coin, just very faint!

I don't think you're looking at the correct item. If you click on the first pic to enlarge and look just below the 2 silver coins, you'll see a small, thin silver item with a shield that has a cross on it. That's what I was referring to. When it first came out of the ground covered in dirt I thought it was a small silver coin. But that's not what it is.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A cob would be a dream of mine. The rest makes it a cazy day, our start to 2013 was harsh but we don't like jumping the gates at the start:laughing7:

Whats the small silver with the castle?

I like the buckles as well.

The weight is a British 5 pennyweight for weighing bullion. (Bullion Weight 1600-1850)

Looks like you have a rare Commonwealth coin as well?! (under Cromwell during the English CW)
Stuart Commonwealth - Penny

WOW Cru - I had no idea that thin little sliver of junk was a coin. Thought it was a piece of trash. Thank you so much for the ID. It's not in good shape but I'm still tickled with it now that I know what it is. And to answer your question, that small coin with the castle is a mid-1700s 1/4 reale. They are extremely hard to come by. I dug one myself about 10 years ago, but haven't seen another one posted on any forum since that time. Thanks again for your help ..... Bill

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, Bill I've only seen one other Commonwealth coin found 1610. Found by my friend in a field I brought him to in Ma.HH This Bear is so green with envy it's coming out my eyes!!
Broken Knee :icon_thumright: Bill this is the one my friend found

Attachments

• finds 102.JPG
    finds 102.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 6,463
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Cru - I had no idea that thin little sliver of junk was a coin. Thought it was a piece of trash. Thank you so much for the ID. It's not in good shape but I'm still tickled with it now that I know what it is. And to answer your question, that small coin with the castle is a mid-1700s 1/4 reale. They are extremely hard to come by. I dug one myself about 10 years ago, but haven't seen another one posted on any forum since that time. Thanks again for your help ..... Bill

That's some great stuff and I'm a bit surprised you didn't recognize that as a silver coin.... if anyone should know it should be you! lol

I can't think of how early those little 1/4 reals date, but do know they go into the 1790s / early 1800s. I've owned a few but it has been quite a few years.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, Bill I've only seen one other Commonwealth coin found 1610. Found by my friend in a field I brought him to in Ma.HH This Bear is so green with envy it's coming out my eyes!!
Broken Knee :icon_thumright:

1610 is not Commonwealth, way too early.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Depending on the size & whether it has a 'II' or a 'I' over the 2 shields on the reverse side, its either a Halfgroat or a Penny. They are not all that valueable but they are a rare UK detecting find & I think your the first US to post one. I'm voting banner on this one!
You think you have CW nuts, we do to, & they would love a coin like that!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy$#@! what a dig! Fantastic assortment you have there. Wow,I don't know what I like best, The spanish silver or the buckles . Huge congrats on a great start to the new year.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Way to get the new year started Bill. Fantastic recoveries and congrats on a new piece of silver! Looks like you guys have your work cut out for you at that site. Nice finds all around!
-Evan

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on the size & whether it has a 'II' or a 'I' over the 2 shields on the reverse side, its either a Halfgroat or a Penny. They are not all that valueable but they are a rare UK detecting find & I think your the first US to post one. I'm voting banner on this one!
You think you have CW nuts, we do to, & they would love a coin like that!

It's definitely the penny as shown in the link you provided earlier as it has the "I" at the top. Check out the pics below that I just took. Thanks again for all your help.

silver penny1.JPG

silver penny2.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I've ever seen such a variety of colonial silver recovered on a single hunt. Five colonial silvers, all different types, and some that you just never see found in the US. Congratulations on a fantastic hunt Bill. The early buckles are outstanding as well. There is a piece at about 11:30 in your group shot that looks like it could be a ramrod pipe, but it's kinda had to tell. What is that piece?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely the penny as shown in the link you provided earlier as it has the "I" at the top. Check out the pics below that I just took. Thanks again for all your help.

View attachment 720895

View attachment 720896

That Penny is above average in condition & the fact that nearly 50% of them got holed in Charles II's reign!

I just check my collection & I only have one 1 Penny & its folded over!!! (I have had a few halfgroats)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread