Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my new favorite spot in Delaware for the past 3 days. Please read on, you won't be disappointed. The site was where the British ships "The Three Brothers" sank ca 1770 and on September 2, 1785, after a fierce storm the "Faithful Steward" sank with about 270 people on board, immigrants heading to the new American State to start new lives. All the women and children, and many of the men died, about 200 all told. They were buried on the beach. I had heard about the spot years ago, but never bothered to go. The "cargo" was reportedly halfpennies and back 20 years ago, who wanted a halfpenny? I already had some.

This year was different. Late in the summer I started detecting after a zillion year absence. I did get a few nice pieces, but after Hurricane Sandy I got nothing. Everybody else seemed to be getting stuff, but I got nothing. Then a few weeks ago I started finding some NICE coins, 18th century coins and modern American silvers. I mean really nice....

I got fed up at work and took a mid winter "vacation" Thursday thru Today. Thursday, I detected about 6 hours and found 1 new penny, 1 new dime, a cell phone and a car fob to unlock somebody's car. Whoops! Also got some amazing shells, Thursday the shells were "in". One conch was 9" long and it perfect shape.

Friday started out better. I got 15 or so pieces of brass (copper) ships plating, one piece was 6" x 6", the biggest I have found so far. I found about 6 modern coins and 1 colonial brass button. The brass button is significant, due to the fact that they were not carrying clothing as cargo, so it more then likely came off of one of the deceased. I also got a large pewter "thing". I have to clean it up some but it's very old. On the way out I dipped a little closer to the water's edge and got a loud signal. 3" down was a 1784 Irish penny. Definately from the wreck. That's what they were carrying. So it was a good day. hiberniajan12.jpg hiberniajan12a.jpg

Today started out very foggy and dreary. However it was close to 50 degrees at sunup! It rained heavily last night. I got there at sunrise, because I just get up early. Truged to the beach, it was high tide (I knew that beforehand.) The shells were gone. The sea had taken them back. I went past the point where I had been detecting the previous two days, heading north toward the old Life Saving Station. There were no targets anywhere. Having stated a 7 am, it's now close to 8:30 and all I have is 2 pulltabs. Where did all that little brass go? I tried pulling more out of the same area and there were no targets anywhere. So after having walked a mile or more, I turned back toward the inlet. The sun had come out and was burning off the fog. It's 8:45 am and actually starting to get warm out. I passed by two pieces of fishing gear. No targets whatsoever. Not even a pulltab collection. No bottlecaps. Zip. I passed what used to be a really nice set of pliers, now rusted. Left them there. Walked ten more feet and I saw it before the machine did. There was one of those annoying peel off gold inserts you see on some of the single serving milk jugs they sell in convenience stores. Well, I spotted it on top of the ground just as the machine went over it and had a machine-cow. Yes, I see it. So I stopped and kicked it with my left foot over to the right. At which point, it flipped in the sand and I realized that little tab on the back of the bottle seal wasn't there. And the thing looked "funny." And the thing had a design on it. (note to self: do not leave glasses in car). So I stopped, pulled up my bucket I sit on ( and carry stuff out with), and stare at this little gold colored thing on the top of the ground. So I picked it up and realized it was a coin. But there is no way in creation (or outside of it), you can find a gold coin on the top of the ground. Let's get real, ok? So "can't see squat" turns it over and over and over looking for the word "copy". It's not there. And it's heavy. And the edge is serrated. And I sat down on the bucket and cried like a baby. See the next post, below for the pics.

Last edited:
Upvote 41

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real close, but can certainly meet up. If it's above freezing, I'm going Saturday. I think winter is going to be the best time of year. There are a few people out there, but just in the last few weeks, I have gotten more in the last 4 weeks than in the last 5 months or so, when I first started going.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds ate banner worthy!!!!!

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great story, and super great finds!
Awesome, great hunt!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
So real nice treasure and a Very Good Story.

Question for you, was the "Faithful Steward" carring copper also...stopped by CB Monday and seen some nice erosion, So I pulled the detector out and spent 3 hours looking for Gold....found a few goodies but also one large chunk of copper...maybe 3 pounds or more. also how would you recommend cleaning a old copper.

OBN0013.jpg

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the beginning, you said "read on, you won't be dissappointed". You were right. I loved the entire story. It really moved me that you were able to connect the coins/ button you found with the people that were lost in that tragedy at sea that was so long ago. Its like those lives can now be remembered one more time. I know you'll treasure those finds. Amazing hunt, banner in my book. Thanks for posting.

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So cool! Nice job

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, remember, anytime we dig a shipwreck site, we're "trespassing" on a cemetery. Take out your trash, fill your holes. Remember. Same thing goes for battlefields and campsites. It's not just about finding "stuff". "Stuff" comes and stuff goes. Ever see a funeral procession with a Uhaul? It's the history behind the stuff that is important, the real live people behind that history and the perservation of our history, and the artifacts from it that are important. I did my family research at my mother's request, years ago. She was delighted with the results. She was able to join the Daughters of the American Revolution and was a member till the day she died. We had about 8 ancestors who served in the Revolution. Several cousins became President, one of those Presidents, James Earl Carter, is still here. Two cousins are famous actors and filmmakers. One was a world renown biochemist. We've been shop owners, shoemakers, farmers, "gentlemen" farmers, bankers, congressmen, judges, ministers, artists, soldiers, airmen, sailors, architects and just plain moms and dads. I have stood on the property in Virginia where my family first set foot in this land in 1657, and showed my daughter some three and half centuries later the exact spot. "Treasure Hunting" is fun, but don't cheat yourself out of the big picture.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN- I don't think they carried copper, but there were three different shipwrecks on that beach. Both of the others were earlier than the Faithful Steward. Keep the copper piece. It's cool. Did you get any of the coins? They are still hard to get.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info, I'm impressed with your knowledge of the history of the area, I'm not much of a ship wreck or Relic huntering. I did enjoy the spot, And your post. Did find a few strange things, But here are the small items...And I'm sure only a few may have came from the wreck..Not sure about the silver ring, but never seen one like it before. The sterling fork could have been, whats left. And the coin needs cleaned, looks like a copper from the little details, and last the oval shaped stone has a cross on it, but faint. I also found a larger piece of slate, looks craved but will have to post a pic over on the what is it forum. Being a gold hunter I never thought I would ever bring home some of the things I did....guess I got the fever....for 3 hours.
OBN0019.jpg Thanks for sharing your story.....joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin looks right. It's a tough place to hunt, lots of trash and not a lot of old stuff. There's modern coins there too.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off, you are a fantastic writer. I enjoyed reading this thread a lot. Keep it up.
Second, NO WAY! I'm reading and reading thinking to myself- OMG OMG OMG Noooo.... and my mouth dropped open at your awesome pics! Im having trouble even finishing a complete sentence in my head-- Wha? No, what the... I can't... No w...I just....OMG!!!!!

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Smokey - Awsome

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You don't see too many people eyeball finding gold coins. Really cool. Nice recovery. I'd love to see what the 'hours eyeball hunting per gold coin found' ratio is? Somthing tells one in a million isn't even in the right ball park???

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm voting Banner! Congrats! What pieces of history! Way to go! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think it was all a dream. Probably unrepeatable-ever. I went there quite a few times before I found anything old. It's not easy. Even after Sandy I didn't get anything, although I was told other people did. It's a tough place to hunt.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner for sure! The ocean is an awsome thing. One day you have tons of targets, the next, no targets but tons of shells and sea glass, the next, nothing. Thats what I love about beach hunting, it is always changing! That, and it is easy diggin!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Beautiful gold! With that beach action mysteriously shifting coins & shells, I'd be tempted to camp out nearby to be the "early bird" each day! My best & oldest coin so far, a 1923 Peace silver dollar, was also an eyeball surface find -- in my case, flat on top of an old field we'd detected several times before. It looked like a dusty old poker chip, and I nearly didn't bend down for a closer look. Doesn't compare to your old golden coin, but both show that eyeball finds can be awesome! HH Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread