Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my new favorite spot in Delaware for the past 3 days. Please read on, you won't be disappointed. The site was where the British ships "The Three Brothers" sank ca 1770 and on September 2, 1785, after a fierce storm the "Faithful Steward" sank with about 270 people on board, immigrants heading to the new American State to start new lives. All the women and children, and many of the men died, about 200 all told. They were buried on the beach. I had heard about the spot years ago, but never bothered to go. The "cargo" was reportedly halfpennies and back 20 years ago, who wanted a halfpenny? I already had some.

This year was different. Late in the summer I started detecting after a zillion year absence. I did get a few nice pieces, but after Hurricane Sandy I got nothing. Everybody else seemed to be getting stuff, but I got nothing. Then a few weeks ago I started finding some NICE coins, 18th century coins and modern American silvers. I mean really nice....

I got fed up at work and took a mid winter "vacation" Thursday thru Today. Thursday, I detected about 6 hours and found 1 new penny, 1 new dime, a cell phone and a car fob to unlock somebody's car. Whoops! Also got some amazing shells, Thursday the shells were "in". One conch was 9" long and it perfect shape.

Friday started out better. I got 15 or so pieces of brass (copper) ships plating, one piece was 6" x 6", the biggest I have found so far. I found about 6 modern coins and 1 colonial brass button. The brass button is significant, due to the fact that they were not carrying clothing as cargo, so it more then likely came off of one of the deceased. I also got a large pewter "thing". I have to clean it up some but it's very old. On the way out I dipped a little closer to the water's edge and got a loud signal. 3" down was a 1784 Irish penny. Definately from the wreck. That's what they were carrying. So it was a good day. hiberniajan12.jpg hiberniajan12a.jpg

Today started out very foggy and dreary. However it was close to 50 degrees at sunup! It rained heavily last night. I got there at sunrise, because I just get up early. Truged to the beach, it was high tide (I knew that beforehand.) The shells were gone. The sea had taken them back. I went past the point where I had been detecting the previous two days, heading north toward the old Life Saving Station. There were no targets anywhere. Having stated a 7 am, it's now close to 8:30 and all I have is 2 pulltabs. Where did all that little brass go? I tried pulling more out of the same area and there were no targets anywhere. So after having walked a mile or more, I turned back toward the inlet. The sun had come out and was burning off the fog. It's 8:45 am and actually starting to get warm out. I passed by two pieces of fishing gear. No targets whatsoever. Not even a pulltab collection. No bottlecaps. Zip. I passed what used to be a really nice set of pliers, now rusted. Left them there. Walked ten more feet and I saw it before the machine did. There was one of those annoying peel off gold inserts you see on some of the single serving milk jugs they sell in convenience stores. Well, I spotted it on top of the ground just as the machine went over it and had a machine-cow. Yes, I see it. So I stopped and kicked it with my left foot over to the right. At which point, it flipped in the sand and I realized that little tab on the back of the bottle seal wasn't there. And the thing looked "funny." And the thing had a design on it. (note to self: do not leave glasses in car). So I stopped, pulled up my bucket I sit on ( and carry stuff out with), and stare at this little gold colored thing on the top of the ground. So I picked it up and realized it was a coin. But there is no way in creation (or outside of it), you can find a gold coin on the top of the ground. Let's get real, ok? So "can't see squat" turns it over and over and over looking for the word "copy". It's not there. And it's heavy. And the edge is serrated. And I sat down on the bucket and cried like a baby. See the next post, below for the pics.

Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beach.jpg beach2.jpg beach3.jpg beach4.jpg Here's a few more trinkets from the same site. Pieces of 18th century pottery a cut piece of 8 from Carolus III's reign and a token from Lewes. Got a bunch of small brass items and other "stuff".

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
smokethecat... I thought it was a irish half penny but now I'm not sure, any ID...thanks Obn

shipwreck coin.jpg

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
smokey, I think that you paid your dues and it was simply time for you to find your piece of treasure. Buy your namesake a special treat!! >^..^<

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Very well written and enjoyable read, even better finds. Plus the fact that you share your location instead of keeping it to yourself. I know it's a well known wreck site but it's still great when others share their stories and locations for the novice guys like myself to use in our research and theories. Thanks for the story and hope you get back out there before returning to work.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man what a fantastic thread, well written and very interesting. Your finds a wonderful and most deserving a place on the top. Keep it up I can't wait to see your next post.
BANNER FOR SURE,
ZDD

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, is that a "K" engraved on it? If so, probably not a penny. I was out today and found a bunch of "stuff". Mainly tiny pieces of ships brass plating. A pair of dead sunglasses, and a really big one of those thingies you put your oar thru to row row row your boat in brass, proabably about 100 years old. I gave it to somebody local. No coins or buttons today, 20 mph winds and 29 degrees, right balmy. One other hardy soul was out there with me. Note to self: bring sledge to get thru frozen sand :tongue3:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Smokey - I know it doesn't matter, but I'm a little surprised that eye-ball finding 239 year old gold coin washed up from a sunken ship doesn't automatically hit the 'banner' button for folks. You already have my vote. Not that banner really matters. Great find, great story.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Smokey, Iron Patch Put a ID on it as...King George II Irish halfpenny that was countermarked K.

I maybe down with you someday, looking around Ocean View for a landing strip.....

And I agree with others, your story, your treasure, deserves a Banner...you have my vote....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, I think you're right about the George II with counterstamp. Sometimes the photos are tough. It's going to be 63 degrees here Wednesday. Might have to take off work! I don't really care if I find much, I just like the chase.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is this find not on the banner yet??

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped for a friend.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
This is great, and for a first gold that is killer.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1774 Gold coin! Wow! I think I would be looking for a underwater detector. What kind of detector did you find it with?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A $329 Tesoro Cibola. I spied it first at the same instant the machine saw it. I have heard from other detectorists down at the ocean it's not the first gold coin spotted. Story goes one young lady was goofing around in the surf and one flashed in front of her and she grabbed it and another a young boy spied one on top of the sand. I have found at least THREE of the 18th century coppers on top of the sand. The wind blows the sand away from them. The only other ones I have SEEN personally from this site all dated 1774. Popular thought is it was from the "Three Brothers" which sand in the same spot in 1774 or so. They were bringing gold to pay the British officers in Philadelphia. Or so the story goes. And this was found just above the high tide line.

Still can't find a US gold coin, however.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet, so do you keep hunting for more?

A $329 Tesoro Cibola. I spied it first at the same instant the machine saw it. I have heard from other detectorists down at the ocean it's not the first gold coin spotted. Story goes one young lady was goofing around in the surf and one flashed in front of her and she grabbed it and another a young boy spied one on top of the sand. I have found at least THREE of the 18th century coppers on top of the sand. The wind blows the sand away from them. The only other ones I have SEEN personally from this site all dated 1774. Popular thought is it was from the "Three Brothers" which sand in the same spot in 1774 or so. They were bringing gold to pay the British officers in Philadelphia. Or so the story goes. And this was found just above the high tide line.

Still can't find a US gold coin, however.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, yes, I was nearby on Tuesday. Went to Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Delaware and Ocean City, MD this past week. Did get two pieces of 18th century glass and crockery from the Lewes shipwreck site. Did not go to the actual "coin beach" due to the heat. Can't do heat.

ColeBen

May 21, 2018
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Master.
Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Itโ€™s posts like this that keep me going when Iโ€™m having a โ€œdryโ€ spell. Great find! Happy Hunting.
-Cole Marie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread