Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my new favorite spot in Delaware for the past 3 days. Please read on, you won't be disappointed. The site was where the British ships "The Three Brothers" sank ca 1770 and on September 2, 1785, after a fierce storm the "Faithful Steward" sank with about 270 people on board, immigrants heading to the new American State to start new lives. All the women and children, and many of the men died, about 200 all told. They were buried on the beach. I had heard about the spot years ago, but never bothered to go. The "cargo" was reportedly halfpennies and back 20 years ago, who wanted a halfpenny? I already had some.

This year was different. Late in the summer I started detecting after a zillion year absence. I did get a few nice pieces, but after Hurricane Sandy I got nothing. Everybody else seemed to be getting stuff, but I got nothing. Then a few weeks ago I started finding some NICE coins, 18th century coins and modern American silvers. I mean really nice....

I got fed up at work and took a mid winter "vacation" Thursday thru Today. Thursday, I detected about 6 hours and found 1 new penny, 1 new dime, a cell phone and a car fob to unlock somebody's car. Whoops! Also got some amazing shells, Thursday the shells were "in". One conch was 9" long and it perfect shape.

Friday started out better. I got 15 or so pieces of brass (copper) ships plating, one piece was 6" x 6", the biggest I have found so far. I found about 6 modern coins and 1 colonial brass button. The brass button is significant, due to the fact that they were not carrying clothing as cargo, so it more then likely came off of one of the deceased. I also got a large pewter "thing". I have to clean it up some but it's very old. On the way out I dipped a little closer to the water's edge and got a loud signal. 3" down was a 1784 Irish penny. Definately from the wreck. That's what they were carrying. So it was a good day. hiberniajan12.jpg hiberniajan12a.jpg

Today started out very foggy and dreary. However it was close to 50 degrees at sunup! It rained heavily last night. I got there at sunrise, because I just get up early. Truged to the beach, it was high tide (I knew that beforehand.) The shells were gone. The sea had taken them back. I went past the point where I had been detecting the previous two days, heading north toward the old Life Saving Station. There were no targets anywhere. Having stated a 7 am, it's now close to 8:30 and all I have is 2 pulltabs. Where did all that little brass go? I tried pulling more out of the same area and there were no targets anywhere. So after having walked a mile or more, I turned back toward the inlet. The sun had come out and was burning off the fog. It's 8:45 am and actually starting to get warm out. I passed by two pieces of fishing gear. No targets whatsoever. Not even a pulltab collection. No bottlecaps. Zip. I passed what used to be a really nice set of pliers, now rusted. Left them there. Walked ten more feet and I saw it before the machine did. There was one of those annoying peel off gold inserts you see on some of the single serving milk jugs they sell in convenience stores. Well, I spotted it on top of the ground just as the machine went over it and had a machine-cow. Yes, I see it. So I stopped and kicked it with my left foot over to the right. At which point, it flipped in the sand and I realized that little tab on the back of the bottle seal wasn't there. And the thing looked "funny." And the thing had a design on it. (note to self: do not leave glasses in car). So I stopped, pulled up my bucket I sit on ( and carry stuff out with), and stare at this little gold colored thing on the top of the ground. So I picked it up and realized it was a coin. But there is no way in creation (or outside of it), you can find a gold coin on the top of the ground. Let's get real, ok? So "can't see squat" turns it over and over and over looking for the word "copy". It's not there. And it's heavy. And the edge is serrated. And I sat down on the bucket and cried like a baby. See the next post, below for the pics.

Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump for relichound.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bump since folks are finding a few at the beach these days, I'll wait a few weeks, for a big blow to come up the coast.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since its so boring, too hot to dig, I thought I'd bump this up for some fun, true reading! Scroll down 1st post to see the 18th century gold coin.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
That KGIII looks like some militiaman just plopped it on the table at a dram house in 1776. It's in remarkable condition. Near mint for something that old. It doesn't appear to have been clipped. Any collector would drool over such a prize!

JG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumped up for a MD bud.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, gold coin. Unbelievable! Congrats!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cat shoots! He scores! It goes to show that you’ll NEVER find it if you don’t spend the time to go look, even if it’s sitting right on top of the ground! What a couple of finds! And of course this is PERSONAL CONFIRMATION (not tall stories and nonsense) that the wrecks are there, and that there were valuables aboard. You’ve got a spot Smokey, no matter how many others are taking a crack at it.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You are smokin' now Smokey! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, I haven't been down that way for bike week in a few years since they canceled the event due to the pandemic. What's Coin Beach look like present day? Is the ocean giving up anything?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only went a few times in 2020. I got a Spanish maravedis probably 17th century that is toast, but didn't really work the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread