oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today 17th Jan it was extremely cold but otherwise very bracing ,Decided to try the field that produced the Woad Grinder and the new type Roman Brooch from last week , but the 1st time a signal was received l realized the frost had made the ground so hard that it was impossible to dig !! So l almost called it a day. But as l had made the effort to travel several miles to the farm l decided on another approach , the adjoining field was still stubble from around six months ago and had quite a bit of weed growth and l thought it would be much easier , which proved to be the case, so l had about 3 hours or so on that. And am l glad l did..
This years 1st GOLD coin a beauty. and 4 days sooner into the year than last year. Hutch.:hello2:

Attachments

• w877.jpg
    w877.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • w878.jpg
    w878.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,162
Upvote 55

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll admit to not being very good at math. But the person that thinks the coin weighs 5.7 ounces is way off, look again, it says 5.7 grams. 5.7 grams is 3.67 penny weight, and there are 20 penny weight to the troy ounce, which at today's price amounts to 84 or 85 dollars per penny weight, or $1680 plus/minus per troy ounce, today, 2-7-13. That means the melt value of the coin is around $309, which is considerably less than than the stated value of up to $900. Nobody in their right mind would melt something like that coin for the metal value. As a side note, if I was to find something of that value, it would do me no good at all, because I wouldn't sell it, I'd have to keep it and the kids could fight over it after I'm gone.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not trying to be smart but how do you know that lol how much research did you have to look through to get that answer ahahaha

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find. It was nice to read how you adjusted your plan for the conditions and kept on hunting. Must be a case of "Remain Calm and Keep Swinging the Coil" !

orbantm

Greenie
Jan 10, 2013
Port Huron, Michigan
Detector(s) used
ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! That is amazing!!!!!! I think I would cry if I found something like that!!! Must be worth a fortune. A true treasure! Congrats!!

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Toby , The Celtic stater is 19mm diameter, and it weighs 5.6 grams. and is from 45BC to 10BC

That's a pretty good size......3/4 (.750) inch ! Isn't Gold nice to look at ! :laughing7:

ToddB64

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
I can't even imagine holding that beauty in my hand! What an absolutely awesome find that is. You must be on cloud nine or out in the stratisphere somewhere. Congrats on a truly exceptional find of a lifetime!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't imagine finding so spectacular. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread