SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hit some new fields down here in SJ with mom and Arty in hopes of finding some colonial cellar holes that Arty has had mapped for a while now. We ended up finding the first hole right off the bat. Found the small 2 piece front part of a button with an anchor and gold gilting left over. Something navy related im assuming but not sure. Left the woods for some overgrown fields in hopes of the second house being found. Brick strewn about a patch of iron and 1 button is all we needed, house site found. The swinging was tough due to the 2-3 foot shrubbery filling the field but we managed to beat it down with the coils and our feet. Came away with about 18 buttons and a nice 1777 KGIII. Also found a beat up gold plated ring and a strange silver item that I can't ID. Buttons ranged from about the date of the KG to early 1800's. There were half tombac and half regular flat so sight dates probably to the late 1700's. Mom found a decent amount of buttons with the same date range as did Arty. One spot of the field had brick,clam and oyster shells, bone and poreclin about a foot down. We dug it out a bit and pulled a flat button out of the mess with a bunch of iron nails. Im hoping BillD can tell me how to dig this one out because I think it is either a trash pit or a privy and it's old. Had a great day and a lot of excercise. Thanks again Arty and Mom :headbang:
P1210064.jpg

P1210065.jpg

P1210067.jpg

P1210068.jpg

P1210066.jpg

P1210070.jpg

P1210069.jpg

Upvote 5

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one find day of detecting! Congrats!!!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful finds! and great research!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you had a great day of digging Jim. That potential trash pit sounds interesting too. Sounds like you might be onto something. Do you have a probe? Regardless, you should dig a deeper and wider test hole and if if continues to look promising you should open her up all the way. A sifter would be a good thing to have as well. If you have any questions or just want to discuss drop me a PM anytime. Good luck with that site and keep me posted ..... Bill

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice assortment of finds there Jim. The silver piece is interesting, but I can't ID it.

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thaks guys. The trash pit reminded me of a civil war hut site. Lots of stuff in it. Going to have to bring a sifter and make a day out of it.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a BUTTON BONANZA there JIM!! I think your gonna have sum luck at that site. Your coppa is BEAUT!! Good luck with the pit. CONGRATS.. HH

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs there bud. Great day of swinging with you and Mom, looking forward to our next outing. Arty

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! Could you show a photo of the other side of the silver thing? I think that might be a musket stock decoration or similar.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread