SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's hunt with Dan produces 2 more colonial coins

Due to the holiday Dan and I got out for a rare weekday hunt. We only had about half a day so we decided to do a bit of roaming around the property in search of another hotspot. We never really found what we were looking for, but did make a few finds in the process. My day started out quickly with a nice looking 1773 VA halfpenny in the first 30 minutes. But things cooled down after that with only the occasional button or buckle part. Near the end of the hunt Dan and I both had mentioned that we had dug small silver gilted buttons that we thought might have been coins at first glance. This morning when I was cleaning my finds it became evident that my little silver button was very likely a colonial coin. It was very thin with no evidence of a shank, and it had some of that black tarnish that we typically find on the old silver. And it had the right "clinking sound" when you dropped it on the table, just like a hammered coin would. I can't guarantee for sure that's what I have, but I believe it may be an Elizabeth I silver penny. It measures about 14 mm, and when I checked on the UK finds database they had several of these that were identical in size. So that's what I'm thinking it might be, although maybe Crusader or others can verify. Appreciate any help with the ID.

Attachments

• 012113a.JPG
    012113a.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 012113b.JPG
    012113b.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 379
  • 012113c.JPG
    012113c.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 9

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool bud! Had a blast as usual and way to save not only the coin streak, but the silver coin streak at this site!

Dan

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job keeping that silver coin streak alive Bill! Are you sure it's not a half real?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job keeping that silver coin streak alive Bill! Are you sure it's not a half real?

Too small and thin for a 1/2 reale Joey. Hope you get well soon!

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I am envious.... Congratulations.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver and awesome VA half penny, Bill!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Joey - its definitely too small for a half reale. I'm pretty confident that its a well-worn hammered coin.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost faintly see a star on the silver. Maybe I'm seeing things...but could be a 3 center. They also measure at 14 mm.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I almost faintly see a star on the silver. Maybe I'm seeing things...but could be a 3 center. They also measure at 14 mm.

That's an interesting observation Matt. But with all the early silver we're finding here, and with almost no 1800s coins, I'm still betting on the silver penny theory.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, still looking for some colonial goodies, WTG.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting observation Matt. But with all the early silver we're finding here, and with almost no 1800s coins, I'm still betting on the silver penny theory.

I thought of that, too, Bill. I know you guys have dug a few modern coins, when I say modern I mean like buffalo's and indian heads. Unless I'm thinking of different finds at different sites. Not sure, but either way its an unfortunate thing when a coin is that far gone there's just almost noway of knowing what it is. I dug a copper today and it's just worn smooth. What I've wondered is if that coin was that worn smooth when it was dropped or do they become that way over time? You wouldn't think a blank piece of copper would be taken as payment! Either way, cool finds and I'm still waiting to find some colonial silver for 2013.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always get some great colonial finds, any one of those relics would make my day!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no need for you to watch the weather because it RAINS luck on you always!! lol.. CONGRATS BILL.... HH

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
Wow, amazing finds Bill, you seem to find some of the oldest finds in the states. I always love your posts.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14-15mm is in the right range for a Lizzy Penny. However, I'm pretty sure thats not a hammered coin but an early milled coin that has been very worn. It's 'to' round to be a hammered coin. At 14mm I can't think of any British coin that would fit the bill, so Spanish is the next likely but I have no experience in these, other than I know our early milled stuff can be worn to the thickness of a hammered.

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cool finds!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14-15mm is in the right range for a Lizzy Penny. However, I'm pretty sure thats not a hammered coin but an early milled coin that has been very worn. It's 'to' round to be a hammered coin. At 14mm I can't think of any British coin that would fit the bill, so Spanish is the next likely but I have no experience in these, other than I know our early milled stuff can be worn to the thickness of a hammered.

I think in it's condition you can let it be whatever you want it to be, Bill. lol

neslot

Jan 20, 2013
Galveston (Jamaica Beach) Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7a pro, CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian half dime is very thin and 15mm diameter.. Found 5 when I lived in Toronto. also known as 'fish scales' Tony US dime in the center for scale.

IMG_1261.jpg

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be a silver 3 cent piece? Or would it not make sense finding one at this site? i believe those are also 14mm...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread