SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a beautiful powder flask during yesterday's 2nd hunt

After Dan and I finished up at our colonial site in the early afternoon I decided to make a stop at the c1700 site where a couple of weeks ago I dug some silver coins and the 1786 German pfennig. This is the place where it's nearly impossible to use a detector. The ground is loaded with small iron and surface trash, and electrical lines and a transformer are right next to the yard where I was hunting. Throw in some thick, pesky weeds and a heavy layer of oyster shells at about 6" down across the entire yard and you have about as difficult a site as you can get. I was again forced to try and cherry pick the high tone targets with my F75, and even that was not easy. But I did manage to dig a couple of clad quarters and finally a silver rosie and a merc in about 90 min. Near the end of a totally frustrating hunt I got a very high tone that I thought was a relatively shallow piece of trash. But I ended up going down almost a foot and eventually pulled out a huge piece of brass that I again thought was going to be junk. But I was shocked to see this beautiful bird motif powder flask once I cleaned the dirt off. This is the first whole one I've dug although it's missing the top. I was afraid of ruining the great looking patina so I just dried cleaned it although I'm not sure how I'm going to get all the dirt out of it. I'm also not sure how old this might be. I figure it dates to somewhere in the mid-1800s, but that's nothing but a wild guess. Appreciate any info on ID'ing or cleaning this cool relic.

Attachments

• flask3a.JPG
    flask3a.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 16

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's brass I would just do a gentle soap-&-water scrub with a toothbrush, and see if you can't use a toothpick or long nail to dig the dirt out from inside.
DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH WATER!!!!!!
let it dry out then lightly brush it off and leave as is.
Dates to at least the 1850's,and is a rarer picture
If I remember they are Partriges,I will PM Ironman who has Rilings Flask book,def. not eagles

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with kuger 100%. Mid 1800s, slightly pre-CW or so. Many similar partridge images were used in the "dead game" motifs popular around the same time frame. No water, just dry brush and toothpick the details with a wooden skewer.

GREAT find!

-Buck

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Bill, Thats a great find......I've got half of a powder flask that I dug and thought was trash too
Wish that I'd found all of it, But! thats the way finds go...Congraats.................HH

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like those objects

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH WATER!!!!!!
let it dry out then lightly brush it off and leave as is.
Dates to at least the 1850's,and is a rarer picture
If I remember they are Partriges,I will PM Ironman who has Rilings Flask book,def. not eagles

Don't worry Kuger - I had absolutely no plans for putting a drop of water on the flask. I've gotten to where I don't want to use water to clean just about any relic except for the common stuff. Hopefully Ironman will chime in and help with the ID of this item. Thanks for your help.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Beautiful patina on that flask Bill. Way to pick through the trash. I bet a lot of folks have avoided that area in the past. Can't wait to see it in the curio in march.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Bill! I Love Powder Flasks!! I did find yours in Rilings book, however he doesn't mention anything about it. He jumps from #719 to #729, passing over the flasks in between. As you can see from the picture yours is #722. It is under the motif or classification of "Bird" which means anything else other than eagle.

IMG_0174.jpg

I just got home from working my 12 hr. night shift outside in 6 degree weather. Kuger left me an email about your awesome find! Yes, I believe your powder flask is from the time period mentioned by Kuger & Buckleboy. Bosnmate also supplied some excellent info. as well! I am rummy right now and am looking forward to a hot shower and bed. When I get up I'll try and research it a little more. Again, excellent find my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironman

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Bill. I can't wait to find out what Ironman finds out about it...that's really nice of him. I would love to know the age and where it was made.

gulfrebinms

Oct 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill I found one like see my post in what is it mine was deep to

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,just wowwww.Just realized this was an old thread but still,wowww.

Last edited:

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great find!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey SUPER NICE FIND Bill ! I did not read all the interm posts, but will say not many found, and usually much more bent up than that one. Congrats, that will go well with your huge collection...eh ?

Hey as well 2 silvers in 90 min. is not to shabby either. Not that they even matter much with a find like this.

Good luck out there.

Rick

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet looking flask. Great find Bill!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a wonderful find. Wouldn't it be something to find the tip for it?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread