My best find so far...14k and a mess of diamonds!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hey all.
I've been a member for awhile.
I read a lot and enjoy your posts, finds and tips...don't post much myself but something just happened to me last Friday that I have to share.

Some background...
I hunt with a Vaquero, a Compadre and an F2.
I have been doing this 3 years as of next month, love to dig anything and everything, but jewelry is my game.
I have concentrated on all jewelry, but like most, I especially love to find gold.

Last August on 2 successive hunts at a park site right next to a basketball court I had a mind blowing experience.
I dug not one, or two but three gold rings.
All were trash signals, (foil, tab, tab) and digging trash has been something I have been recommending to most others for awhile.
One of those rings was 14k and had a decent size diamond in the middle and I liked it so much I had it resized and I wear it today, a smaller heart ring my wife loves and I get to see it when I look at her hand.

P1030291.jpg

The absolute greatest experience I have had in this great hobby...till now.

Last Friday I was at another park and I was thrilled to be digging anything because the last hunt I had was in two large and open parks where the wind and colder temps had caused the dirt to freeze several inches deep and it was no fun trying to dig in soil like that at all.
I thought I was done for the winter and I was depressed, but it got back into the 50's that day and I tried one more park that was a little more sheltered from the wind and I hoped the soil was better...and it was.
I hunted around that site for awhile and eventually got around to the area in this park with a structure that eventually became my favorite place to hunt....another basketball court.

The other site where I found those three rings I had hunted it before but with bigger coils and I found those rings by switching to the sniper coil on my F2 and digging all signals including trash.
This site was the same.
I hunted around this court once before, but now I had my sniper instead of a larger coil.
10 minutes after hunting around a sideline, and after I dug a few tab and trash signals, I came across a nice tone that was a 32 on my F2.
This is a nickel, number, but actually not a usual and real nickel number which is usually a 33.
This 32 was, however, the same as several sta-tabs that I had already dug at this park.
I'm digging it anyway...so glad I did.
2" down in the side of the small plug was the band of a silver looking ring.
I pulled it out of the plug and when I turned it to the front I saw 4 diamonds staring at me just sparkling away in the sunlight.
I knocked the dirt out of middle and by using some magnifying power to help my old eyes I saw exactly what I hoped to see...14k.
I was shocked!
This was my very first white gold ring ever, and what a beauty!
I had the diamonds tested over the weekend and they are real, but even then before testing I knew.
Nothing shines like these rocks did in the sun except the real thing.
Get this.
I took it home and cleaned it up and had another surprise waiting for me.
I looked closer at those diamonds after a little cleaning and I almost fell off my chair when I saw separating those four beautiful diamonds were...more diamonds!
Five lovely baguettes all lined up nice and pretty.

I thought nothing could top those two hunts last August when I found those 3 gold rings...I was wrong.

The greatest find of my short career and even though it is gold ring # 14 for me, it is by far the very best one.
I would consider it the find of a lifetime, and I hope some other great and maybe nicer things are in store for me, but even if that never comes to pass, this will do.

Now to get it appraised and hopefully sold.
I have the itch to buy a new detector, I think I might have the best way to pay for it right in front of me.

HH

Attachments

• ww.jpg
    ww.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Upvote 13

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger, that's a beautiful ring! I always been hitting the volleyball courts in the parks, you've given me something to think about here!
Thanks too, gunrunner for the advice.

Thanks all!
I am a park hunter for the most part, and areas around picnic pavilions, volleyball courts and basketball courts have been the most productive for me when it comes to clad and jewelry.
Basketball courts most of all for the good stuff...I have found a few other great things around these like this pretty nice silver rope necklace which weighs almost 28 grams, too.
If I go into a park site I have not hunted before and see a basketball court, I get pretty excited, nowadays!
If you guys see one definitely scour the area just behind the baskets because shooting the ball near these and going up for lay-ups someone can definitely loose a ring, but I am finding the best stuff around the perimeter where the players place their jackets and bags or just sit when taking a break.

Attachments

• good 2.jpg
    good 2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one gorgeous ring. Congrats on an awesome find. Why buy a new detector. Your F2 seems to be doing a great job!

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a small gold ring with three small diamond chips last year in Delaware after dark got to keep it about 30min before it was impounded and kept by my wife she loves it

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't blame you a bit digger 27! If it's just going to be stored a way somewhere or never used, might as well sell it. I mean it's not like say a civil war relic found for the historic value or displaying or something. Excellent find!! Let us know the appraisal if you don't mind.

Since you asked...
Met a fellow MD club member that used to manage jewelry stores at one of his old workplaces, a Helzberg Diamond store.
He introduced me to the current manager and then we all went into a little room to examine this ring under the microscope.

This ring holds approximately 3/8 of a carat in diamond weight.
They both came to the conclusion that the clarity of the round diamonds were an SI1, the baguettes were a little better at an SI2 but over all as a group they could be considered an SI2.
Color is in the range of I-J.
From some research I found that thee ratings are considered a very good value and pretty popular because any defects and color would would not be seen with the naked eye and only under 10x's magnification so they would look close to flawless by most people.

The consensus is that at regular retail this would be a $1299.00 ring, selling it on the street I should expect somewhere around $800 as a good and fair price for both parties.

Sounds good to me.
Come spring I think the newest generation Black F75 SE might be in my future.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos Digger27 :icon_thumright:......That was some story! If your Fisher F2 is finding rings like that for you, I'd keep it! Seems like you know this detector very well, so if it ain't broke why fix it!! Hope I can make finds like that in 2013. Cabin fever is setting in! Good luck and hope you make more finds like that!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Kudos Digger27 :icon_thumright:......That was some story! If your Fisher F2 is finding rings like that for you, I'd keep it! Seems like you know this detector very well, so if it ain't broke why fix it!! Hope I can make finds like that in 2013. Cabin fever is setting in! Good luck and hope you make more finds like that!

Thank you.

I have my F2 and my Compadre, and I got real good with both and found lots of jewelry, plus my Vaquero is no slouch in that department, either.
Lately, however, and as strange as it may seem I am starting to get a little bored with that so it is time for me to switch to a new phase in this great hobby and try to get good at that.
I am already in the process of doing some research and this season I will attempt to get away from my regular modern park sites and look for older places where I can start finding some older coins and especially silver that I see others finding all the time on the forums.
Even though my Vaquero can go pretty deep, I have gotten so good with my F2 I wonder how much better I can be with an F75 and its greater depth and ability to ID targets at depth a little more accurately.

I live in NW Kansas near the border of Missouri and there is so much history around here with the Sante Fe and Oregon trails, not to mention all the civil war relics, I just want a shot to find everything I can that is possible to find with the best of the modern day machines.
There are people around here that find tons of silver, lots of great relics and even a gold coin or two and I want me some of that.

Plus, getting a new detector and conquering the learning curve and mastering it is a bunch of fun for me, one of the best things about this hobby, actually.

I won't ever get rid of any of my detectors because I will still use them when the site calls for it.
Just because you get some new and shiny stuff you can't abandon what worked for you in the past.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread