Civil War Hunt With Dman & Quindy Today-Relics Found

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Doug and Quindy wanted me to come over and hunt with them today. The sun was nice but we had a wind chill in the upper 20s all day. Josh had to work so I had to open a gate as Doug immediately jumped into the back seat when we left town. Josh, I feel your pain - LOL. We did some scouting at a couple of spots but they didn’t pan out so we hit a spot after lunch for a couple of hours where we hunted last August when the soil was very dry. The Trio had hit it in October and dug relics but the soil was dry then too. This spot was in sight of a large U.S. camp so we knew that between the three of us we should recover a few relics. We were pleasantly surprised with two coat size Eagle GS buttons and more .58 cal. 3 ringers that are common finds there.

We had a very enjoyable day hunting together (as always) and all of us added relics to our collections. Note to Josh: Doug bought lunch-LOL. HH, Donnie.

Attachments

• JanHunt01.jpg
    JanHunt01.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 8
OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Another Hunt I could have found nothing but cherished just for the company!!!

Thanks Kuger.... hunting with Quindy and DMan is like hunting with Abbott and Costello. You just never know what they are going to say or do. Steve Slyvia once told me that relic hunting isn't just about the relics, it's more, a whole lot more. It's about friendships too and Doug and Quindy are both good guys. Tennessee digger

hillbillyhunter

Dec 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the metal looking item directley above the three bullets on the left hand side? I have a few of those.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! You guys are so lucky to have CW campsites in your area!

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the metal looking item directley above the three bullets on the left hand side? I have a few of those.

It's a leather rivet.

Q asked me if the handle looking piece on the right side was a wood cook stove eye lifter, but I don't think it is. They had a curled chisel type point on the end, whereas this one looks to be a broken shovel type end.
StoveEyeLifter.jpg

Breezie

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used

That is a brass brad used in leather. I've heard some diggers call them double buttons. A piece of leather was used between the two "button" ends. They are a pretty common find in civil war camps as you can see in the photo I dug one and so did DMan. I think that they were used for several years after the war and may still be in use today, don't know for sure. They are usually associated with horse and mule gear but had other uses also. Like Breezie said, leather rivet. Tennessee digger

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They had a curled chisel type point on the end, whereas this one looks to be a broken shovel type end. something about that says stove handle but Like Breezie noticed , it won't work to well :icon_scratch: unless some where built attached to the stove eye plate as one . teach the new digger , tennessee 8-) Rivets , we all find lots of rivets , some know what they are ... some just think they are junk and toss em'.. HH

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug and Quindy wanted me to come over and hunt with them today. The sun was nice but we had a wind chill in the upper 20s all day. Josh had to work so I had to open a gate as Doug immediately jumped into the back seat when we left town. Josh, I feel your pain - LOL. We did some scouting at a couple of spots but they didn’t pan out so we hit a spot after lunch for a couple of hours where we hunted last August when the soil was very dry. The Trio had hit it in October and dug relics but the soil was dry then too. This spot was in sight of a large U.S. camp so we knew that between the three of us we should recover a few relics. We were pleasantly surprised with two coat size Eagle GS buttons and more .58 cal. 3 ringers that are common finds there.

We had a very enjoyable day hunting together (as always) and all of us added relics to our collections. Note to Josh: Doug bought lunch-LOL. HH, Donnie.
nice finds fellas!:thumbsup:

The Hun

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job y'all and you're brave for hunting with the wind like it was!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dawg is a veteran hunter who knows about the brass brads we all find. I have always heard the smaller ones were used in cap and cartridge boxes as well as knapsacks. The mid size ones that appear to be 2 piece and one end was "upset" so they could compress 2 pieces of leather and 'bradded' together. Those mid size brads were also 2 piece and used in bridles and harness and are dug in places totally devoid of CW relics. The larger one piece heavy brads (some are black) were used in sword belts as pictured in Crouch's relic book on page 207. I think some are actually 2 piece that are fused together. These were also called "pack" brads. All I know for sure is that both CS & US camps are loaded with brads and they read just like buttons. HH, Quindy.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawg is a veteran hunter who knows about the brass brads we all find. I have always heard the smaller ones were used in cap and cartridge boxes as well as knapsacks. The mid size ones that appear to be 2 piece and one end was "upset" so they could compress 2 pieces of leather and 'bradded' together. Those mid size brads were also 2 piece and used in bridles and harness and are dug in places totally devoid of CW relics. The larger one piece heavy brads (some are black) were used in sword belts as pictured in Crouch's relic book on page 207. I think some are actually 2 piece that are fused together. These were also called "pack" brads. All I know for sure is that both CS & US camps are loaded with brads and they read just like buttons. HH, Quindy.
veteran means I been around the block or two , thanks a lot Q .. here are a few examples out of one of my cans of camp site brass and copper stuff , many sizes , one has the leather intact . Hope you don't mind the pic tennessee digger , not trying to steal your thunder , always learning new stuff and sharing info here seems to help other seekers . pack brads 001.JPG

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
veteran means I been around the block or two , thanks a lot Q .. here are a few examples out of one of my cans of camp site brass and copper stuff , many sizes , one has the leather intact . Hope you don't mind the pic tennessee digger , not trying to steal your thunder , always learning new stuff and sharing info here seems to help other seekers . View attachment 731101
No, don't mind one bit. Glad you took the tiume to post and share your knowledge. Thanks. Tennessee digger

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
nice finds fellas!:thumbsup:

The Hun
Thanks Pete. This was a short hunt on a small place so I'm satisfied. I know that you have made some really impressive finds so post them when you get time! Tennessee digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread