First Finds Ever - Evidently Cleaning My Yard up a Bit

Dunimas

Greenie
Jan 13, 2013
First time out ever. Got a Delta 4000 for Christmas.

Found 7up can from 80s six inches down.
Two Quarters (1967 & 1989)
Two Nickles (!980s)
Nail
Metal Strap
Metal Cap from Pop Bottle

Found the coins as a last one before we go in dig!

Have two areas that "overload" but when I dig, I don't find anything. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Finds Jan 12, 2013.jpg
    Finds Jan 12, 2013.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dunimas

Dunimas

Greenie
Jan 13, 2013
Any thoughts on cleaning the coins? Any thoughts or links appreciated. They are a brown tone. Thanks

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

Nice first hunt! Your own back yard is the best place to get used to your detector and start finding things. My first coin was a clad dime at the beach.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on cleaning the coins? Any thoughts or links appreciated. They are a brown tone. Thanks

Clad comes out of the ground brown most of the time. No need to clean them, coin machines or banks will take them as is.

OP
OP
Dunimas

Dunimas

Greenie
Jan 13, 2013
SusanMN said:
Clad comes out of the ground brown most of the time. No need to clean them, coin machines or banks will take them as is.

With some baking side, hot water and a tooth brush, the cleaned up in spots but not completely. I don't think this is from the outer clad layer, but from the soil. I was just wanting to clean them for the fun of it, but it has been spotty at best. I'll post another photo later.

Dale32

Jun 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The overload is probably something very big that is deep in the ground. Almost certainly trash.:unhappysmiley:

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup:I use a delta 4000 and also got the overload one was only about 3" under a pipe with a peace of weilded metal capping it off... covered it back up... The pin point works well on mine u half to get used to it move it around to and watch the inches change to get a better pin point.

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the overload can also mean right next to the coil....

BillW212

Feb 6, 2013
Coatesville, PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could the overload also be interference? There are plenty of things in or around one's yard. Buried pipes, cable TV lines, gas lines, water lines, electric lines, sewer lines, etc. Alot of modern homes also have wireless internet, wireless phones, and there may be phone towers and such near you. It could be almost anything inside a residential area, plenty of stuff you don't want to dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread