I think Im finally getting the hang of cornfields.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm finally getting the hang of cornfields.

As those who have followed know, I have quite a bit of experience in this hobby. But, when it comes to hunting corn stubble fields, I am a veritable newbie! :)

Since the weather warmed a bit today, I couldn't resist getting in a quick wander. Got about 3 hours before the weather reasserted itself. Still not a lot of items but a very interesting AND rewarding day! Bottom line, I got out!!! :)

Here's the take:

IMGA2685.JPG
IMGA2686.JPG
IMGA2687.JPG
IMGA2688.JPG
IMGA2689.JPG
IMGA2690.JPG
IMGA2691.JPG
IMGA2692.JPG
IMGA2694.JPG

I'm guessing those last three are of a shotgun slug? There are some letters there, just can't make them out. :dontknow:

IMGA2696.JPG

Plow blade?

IMGA2705.JPG IMGA2706.JPG

This is a bit fatter than expected. I can barely make out a shield up top and possibly the words one cent. So, I'm thinking an IH "fatty". Afraid I don't think it'll clean well. Pretty toasted. But, I'll try.

IMGA2707.JPG IMGA2708.JPG

BOY! I don't find very many nails with this AT-Pro but when it finds one it doesn't fool around! LOL

And, lastly, for me the most interesting find of all my cornfield experience. (all couple months of it. :) )

I found this thing that made me say my name over and over today.

WHADIFIND!?!?

IMGA2711.JPG
IMGA2712.JPG
IMGA2713.JPG
IMGA2714.JPG
IMGA2715.JPG
IMGA2717.JPG
IMGA2718.JPG

It appears to be brass/bronze for the most part. It's pretty heavy and substantially made. The only magnetic parts are the iron rust.

Feel free to offer any help you can.

Oh yeah! There is one more clue in addition to the possible decorative lines on the sides.

IMGA2716.JPG

Maybe, Thomas uhhhhhhh Fred-isson? ;)

Thanks for peeking and happy hunting to all.

Upvote 9

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a 1700's to mid 1800's era boot pistol barrel. Kind of rare and quite a prize.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a 1700's to mid 1800's era boot pistol barrel. Kind of rare and quite a prize.

I suspected it was a barrel to something but my knowledge of guns is abysmal. :)

When you say kind of rare, how "rare" is that? Also, would the TF stamped on it be ownership, a maker's mark, a tester's mark?

Anyone that can help with the porcelain fragment would be appreciated too. I don't mean identifying it but rather what sort of things should I be thinking when I come across a spot where the surface is littered with many glass/porcelain/china bits? This one spot has quite a bit of broken glass strewn about. A dump? Former house site? Landfill? Seemed like older glass to me.

Thanks!

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess the "TH" is a makers mark but you'll need to do some research. Start by putting "boot pistol" in the search block up at the top of the main page and start reading posts. About 8-10 posts down there is one with a green "solved" in front. That one looks similar to yours. Don't stop there, check out each post and see what you can see.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truely awsome find!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT boot pistol find!!! I only dug one in 20 years. It will probably have an oval mark with either a star or "L" in it, signifying the "Liege" gunworks (Belgium). Google search that name and "boot pistol" in quotes and you'll prolly find a match.

Congrats!

-Buck

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man congrats on that pistol barrel!!! Hope that IH cleans up enough for you to get a date!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT boot pistol find!!! I only dug one in 20 years. It will probably have an oval mark with either a star or "L" in it, signifying the "Liege" gunworks (Belgium). Google search that name and "boot pistol" in quotes and you'll prolly find a match.

Congrats!

-Buck

That just goes to show how much/little I know about guns. :) I didn't even know they made pistol barrels out of anything but iron/steel. LOL

1 in 20 years huh? Now, I have a little more respect for this lil item! I KNOW your reputation for finding this type of thing.
I looked pretty hard at this for marks and I didn't even see an oval. But, after you mentioned it, I looked again. I did find this circle looking thing but I can't make anything out on it. There does seem to be a couple lines that look like a design of some sort too. Along the side near the hole.

I don't need to identify any deeper than this but here's a couple more pics.

IMGA2722.JPG
IMGA2723.JPG

That and the "TF" on the underside should pretty well place the piece. They would probably be a proofer's mark, right?

Thanks for the comments and info!

HH!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man congrats on that pistol barrel!!! Hope that IH cleans up enough for you to get a date!

Well, it was pretty well toasted. But, I think it's an 188?

BEFORE:

IMGA2706.JPG IMGA2705.JPG

AFTER:

IMGA2719.JPG IMGA2721.JPG

Thanks for the response!

HH!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the date isn't too clear, but at least the coin is a lot more identifiable!

It's definitely a "fatty" so it's a limited to a few years. Close 'nuff for govt work. ;)

Thanks!

HH!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find, ploughed land IS the way to go...

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people on this forum are amazing. Your item identified within minutes. Thank you to all who share their knowledge. Getting out and finding stuff is the name of the game. You found some very neat stuff.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! That's a LOT of information from something so small! :)

The way this was put together, wonder where the rest of it is, think it might've blown up on the owner? :dontknow:

Thank you for all the info, great work!

HH!

To be completely honest...I have seen probably 10 dug(they were pretty popular here......although,I cant seem to dig one)and more often than not,what you found is what is left.I am not totally sure why,other than they were cheap,thus not made real well? Great find!

62dold

Jan 13, 2013
kentucky
Detector(s) used
white, bounty hunter, white tresure ray,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the pics, i have detected for a lot of years, never found a gun or a part of one. maybe i should turn the discriminator down. nice finds!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the pics, i have detected for a lot of years, never found a gun or a part of one. maybe i should turn the discriminator down. nice finds!

Actually, this thing rang out like a solid quarter hit on the AT-Pro. VDI about 85-90. Probably because it's a brass/bronze barrel. :)

NOW, if I could just figure out what the pieces of china/glass/etc I found strewn about mean. :)

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread