On the heels of a CW camp. Found 30 bullets, sling hook, tons of camp lead.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I decided to try a patch of woods I've been meaning to detect for a while. It started out slow, real slow. On top of it I left my second lesche shovel at a hole. Eventually retraced my steps and found it. I noticed an out of place holly tree in the woods and decided to detect around it. I first found a round ball, then an older style tombac button and another round ball. Didn't pan out to find what I was hoping to find. No other signals there so I headed toward this large tree. Found my first bullet, a sharps. I will give you the short story, 30 bullets later and with a ton of camp lead and a nice sling hook I can sense I am on the heels of a camp nearby. End of the hunt I found this large dandy button with a nice design on it. I am very very excited to search these woods harder and maybe, just maybe have stumbled upon the beginnings of a camp site. Wish me luck guys. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• Metal Detecting 2013 098.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 098.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Metal Detecting 2013 099.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 099.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 467
  • Metal Detecting 2013 100.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 100.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Metal Detecting 2013 101.jpg
    Metal Detecting 2013 101.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 351
Upvote 4

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I decided to try a patch of woods I've been meaning to detect for a while. It started out slow, real slow. On top of it I left my second lesche shovel at a hole. Eventually retraced my steps and found it. I noticed an out of place holly tree in the woods and decided to detect around it. I first found a round ball, then an older style tombac button and another round ball. Didn't pan out to find what I was hoping to find. No other signals there so I headed toward this large tree. Found my first bullet, a sharps. I will give you the short story, 30 bullets later and with a ton of camp lead and a nice sling hook I can sense I am on the heels of a camp nearby. End of the hunt I found this large dandy button with a nice design on it. I am very very excited to search these woods harder and maybe, just maybe have stumbled upon the beginnings of a camp site. Wish me luck guys. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

awsome finds congrats!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks. Was hoping we could both work the area and hopefully come up with something else.
Hey, I'm always free for a hunt. I only live in Martinsburg, hint hint, lol.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KILLER haul on Sharps bullets! Yes, you are on a camp if you are finding that much camp lead in one spot. And yes, you WILL dig many more bullets than brass items. Confederate camps have even less brass to be found, and in general even the bullets are fewer in those camps. But yes, you are on a camp due to the volume of melted lead, and you will dig lots of bullets. Guard your new site well, and keep its location to yourself.

I think we'll be seeing some Fantastic finds from you soon!

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KILLER haul on Sharps bullets! Yes, you are on a camp if you are finding that much camp lead in one spot. And yes, you WILL dig many more bullets than brass items. Confederate camps have even less brass to be found, and in general even the bullets are fewer in those camps. But yes, you are on a camp due to the volume of melted lead, and you will dig lots of bullets. Guard your new site well, and keep its location to yourself.

I think we'll be seeing some Fantastic finds from you soon!

Cheers,

Buck

I figured that was the case. I think today I will take a little hand saw and cut back some stuff I couldn't get to!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Matt!, Hopefully you are on the fringes of a larger camp, but you may have just stumbled on a small cavalry picket post.

OP
OP
matt092079

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems all they were doing is making bullets there with all that camp lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread