Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Myself and my buddy Dan and his father teamed up for another trip to our colonial honey hole. It was in the teens when we hit the field about 7:30 this morning but at least the wind had died down. Dan and I were on a mission to dig out several potential colonial trash pits we had identified on previous hunts. The first and most promising one turned out to be the brick foundation for one of the many structures that are scattered about in this field. The other pits were almost devoid of the pottery and glass we were seeking, but we did scrounge out a few brass items. While Dan and I were toiling away John was having a great day in the coin department, and Dan followed suit late in the day to keep our coin streak alive. I'll let Dan give you the details on those finds, but by the end of the day our total colonial silver count for this site had jumped to 16. I spent the remaining time after the pit digs roaming around trying to find another hotspot. Wasn't very successful with that, but did find a very interesting and unique item that was partially exposed on top of the ground. It was a colonial ring with a nice green patina and a 3-masted tall ship design etched into its face. This ring appears to be made in a very similar manner to the 1600s signet ring I found last year, but not sure its quite that old. But it should definitely be pre-1800. I also dug what may be a colonial copper coin of some sort. At first it looked like a flat button, but upon closer inspection it does not have any indication of a shank, and its holed and a little irregular in shape. My only real killer signal all day turned out to be big silver, but unfortunately it was a barber quarter. I knew it wasn't colonial as soon as I saw the reeded edge, but I'll take it just the same. We called it a day by early afternoon, but we'll be back again soon I'm sure.

Attachments

• 020213a.JPG
    020213a.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 020213b.JPG
    020213b.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 443
  • 020213e.JPG
    020213e.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 020213f.JPG
    020213f.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 471
  • 020213h.JPG
    020213h.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 470
  • 020213g.JPG
    020213g.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 454
  • 020213j.JPG
    020213j.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Upvote 10

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is very interesting Bill. Another productive hunt!

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!! My cousin and i are going to try and dig out were an old school house use to sit. Do you have any tips on finding the right spot to start digging?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got more gumption than I do. I could only stand the cold for about 45 mins today. Just can't handle what I used to I guess. :dontknow:

Anyway, you sure made the hours count!

Very nice ring indeed! I love finding personal items from long, long ago.

I'm still looking for the tag that says, "If you find this little boy wandering, his name is George and please send him home. signed Mrs Washington."

HH!

Last edited:

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, Bill! Enduring the cold paid off for you guys!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Real good digs Bill and you guys earned every one of them. That ship ring is really cool!! HH, Quindy.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome recoveries, Bill. Loooove to see that green patina and you always have such great pics. What kinda camera do you have. By the way, I'll take that barber off your hands if it's not good enough for you. lol I understand what you mean by digging the barber out of all the colonial relics and coins. I was digging all 1800's and 1700's silver last year and when I dug a silver roosie, I was like "really?"...still a keeper. lol Great hunt guys. And yes, any tips on trying to locate a good spot to start digging a pit? I heard to start digging out a pit when you get into a lot of iron targets then just start digging. True? False?

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Especially the silver quarter and the ring!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome recoveries, Bill. Loooove to see that green patina and you always have such great pics. What kinda camera do you have. By the way, I'll take that barber off your hands if it's not good enough for you. lol I understand what you mean by digging the barber out of all the colonial relics and coins. I was digging all 1800's and 1700's silver last year and when I dug a silver roosie, I was like "really?"...still a keeper. lol Great hunt guys. And yes, any tips on trying to locate a good spot to start digging a pit? I heard to start digging out a pit when you get into a lot of iron targets then just start digging. True? False?

Matt - my camera is just an inexpensive Canon PowerShot Elph 100HS. Cost about $150. I use the macro function for close-ups, and take the pics only in natural lighting outdoors. Generally it does a pretty good job, although sometimes the pics can get a little fuzzy around the edges. As far as pit digging goes, send me your email address and I'll forward a magazine article I wrote a few years ago on my experiences with finding and digging colonial trash pits. Might give you a good starting point.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Only Barber? That's a good find for anyone. Great photos!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt - my camera is just an inexpensive Canon PowerShot Elph 100HS. Cost about $150. I use the macro function for close-ups, and take the pics only in natural lighting outdoors. Generally it does a pretty good job, although sometimes the pics can get a little fuzzy around the edges. As far as pit digging goes, send me your email address and I'll forward a magazine article I wrote a few years ago on my experiences with finding and digging colonial trash pits. Might give you a good starting point.

Thanks, Bill. I sent you my e-mail.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is just phenomenal! You guys are hard core and your finds show it.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds.

My favorite of the lot is what appears to be a musket part with Imperial proof mark.

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very neat ring Bill. When I look at your 'coin', I 'see' what looks to be some sort of bust relief, but then it disappears or changes on me!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL STUFF !!! id love to find a spot like that when I visit my kids and grandkids in Virginia Beach.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I am telling ya, that ring is the find of the day! As always had a blast, now that we got a couple of guests out of the way (and put us to shame) we need to now get to work and dig more hammereds!

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread