SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well after reading BillD and Dans post for weeks now I needed some of my own colonial fill up here in NJ. It was time to give those VA boys a run for their money! Arty and I met up around 10am today to scout some new areas we thought would hold some buttonage(mom was sick and couldnt join) Started out in a field with a lane of trees running hunreds of yards towards the river. Found a flat button and a random flying eagle penny. Eye balled some nice looking field on the other side of a drainage ditch and scoured the area for signals. First signal was a cast button..One you dont see posted alot on Tnet. Well this area was our small bonanza for the day. Lots of cast buttons and more than 5 NIPPLE buttons. My first of this kind and probably my oldest. Found a worn KGII also in the same area. We pounded this spot for hours and decided to try the adjacent field for more buttons. More buttons followed on the long walk back to the trucks for lunch. After lunch we had eye balled a huge rise in the field to our right. Tons of brick and pottery littered the peak. Arty pulled 2 large 2 piece buttons from the area and the mucky mud was a little too much for us at the time and decided to go back to our glory field. When we returned the signals were less but I found the silver we thought would be there with all the old colonil finds. It looks to be the size of a half reale. Its very worn except one part that shows of lines. Found a few more buttons and decided to follow the sunlight out to the trucks. We stopped by the raised hill area of the other field just as it was getting dark. Well the ground had frozen up and no more gooey walking. Little did we know we would finding a ton of buttons and relics in the dark. The T2 doesnt have a back light but every solid signal was either a button or piece of history, no trash. We decided after about an hour of night detecting we would save the field for a daylight hunt. The only night I had came from my Pro pointer :laughing7: It was an awesome day of digging and there will be much more to find in the future for these fields. I will let Arty post his great finds. Is it me or does one of the cast buttons Appear to have a "1" in the center? This would be significant if true.
P2030072_zps08d13362.jpg

P2030073_zpsd8f8d790.jpg

P2030075_zps1e2ecd6c.jpg

P2030076_zps7ad8065d.jpg

P2030078_zps3cab4d6a.jpg

P2030077_zps5b4ccb9e.jpg

P2030071_zps283af20d.jpg

Upvote 9

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW Those are a lot of colonial digs! That spoon handle, with the three rounded parts on the top, I've dug two of those, and I've heard that they are very old. Anybody have any information on them?

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! sounds liks a good spot.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I like it!!! Very nice and early finds!! Love those early buttons. Join in anytime, love seeing early finds

Dan

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. A purposely scratched coin is a indicator that the coin was once in the possession of a Native American as some often defaced the coins intentionally--some form of supersticion, I guess--especially, when you see a deep gash across the throat ofa face coin.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super hunt Jim! Glad to see the nipple/pimple buttons being found, you are so correct, not many found at all, but sure is a great indicator that site is one of the first settled areas. Now the only trouble with a site that old, no NJ's! :)

Don

Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Those are a lot of colonial digs! That spoon handle, with the three rounded parts on the top, I've dug two of those, and I've heard that they are very old. Anybody have any information on them?

The spoon handle part I think it is called by a couple different names, but Split End type I think is one of them, they match the nipple buttons for dating the site, mid to late 1600s I believe.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice early finds Jim. Bet there is more out there.

HH Jer

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great spot - Awesome finds
th_ILoveItSmileyThumbsUp.gif

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys. Thanks for the approx date on the site. Couldnt believe the age of buttons we were finding. Cant wait to get back. Very interesting about the coin scratching. Im afraid i may have added a scratch myself. I was talking to Arty as we were walking the fields about the boys down in Virginia tearing up the super old sites saying man I wish I could find that OLD old stuff up here. Wish granted. Now we just need some lizzies and cut spanish :)

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day of hunting. Nice digs bud and we still have allot of real estate to cover. Till next time.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a haul of colonial goodies for just a day's hunt. Those hotspots definitely deserve to be gridded out and hunted hard. No telling what else lies under the surface at an early site like that. Great post, and good luck to you guys when you go back.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
awesome digs Jim. Congrats on the reale...a little rough though. I'd love to find one of those flying eagles some day!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day of hunting. Nice digs bud and we still have allot of real estate to cover. Till next time.
Hi arty & Jim 8-) , Jersey guys need to turn it up a notch , although i do appreciate seeing cut silver and hammered , nice work down there ,, darn tootin' ,, tha's just wonderful :icon_thumright: Jersey had little tobacco commerce ,,, for that reason our possible lost coin currency will be Spanish milled , maybe a straggler cob :dontknow: but listen up , some of the best State and earlist of US coppers and the Best part :notworthy: early Philly Mint US silvers and gold coins ,, imo worth a lot more historically and collector value , :o

imo one 1793 to 1807 silver is possible , odds of finding early US silver here in Jersey and PA are better than anywhere . Just sayin' :icon_scratch: Va has some of the oldest coins but Jersey has the big money Early American silvers and gold coins .... now here's a clue that works , research some Delaware River and Bay port commerce sites .

The cut up pieces are cool if their 8 reales :skullflag:

and I have news for you guys ,,, you may not have to quit your job or be retired to get the rare one :cool: forget about those cut 2 R pisterenie , s :tongue3:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you guy's are onto another hot site! I see a linked pair of cufflinks - anything on those?

Great hunt and I'm looking forward to your next post :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks guys, Steve the links apear to have a little design around the center < ^ > something like that.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Jim, this is making me wish it was Spring already! Cant wait to get out again. Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread