Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes A + B does not equal C in this hobby, but it did for me today. I took a break from the early colonial site Dan and I have been hitting recently, and resumed working on my little “project” that I’ve been involved with over the last 2-3 years trying to locate a long-lost early-to-mid 1600s site which even the historical folks haven’t been able to find. In the last year or so I’ve been systematically getting permission from local landowners and searching all fields within this area trying to locate the site, but no luck so far. I was able to gain permission to another area yesterday, and made a trip there in the afternoon to give it an initial walk-around. This particular spot caught my eye after checking out the CW era Gilmer map for this part of the county just the other evening. It showed a nice cleared area precisely where this property was located, but no home was shown there. Based on past experience this was a strong clue that an earlier house site might have existed at that spot. It had a beautiful looking knoll in the back of the property which screamed “early homesite” to me. As I started scanning the knoll I was expecting to immediately find an iron patch and see some scattered brick and pottery. But my detector was almost dead quiet and I thought my efforts were going to be a bust. Eventually I got my first hit, and the little intact colonial buckle I dug caught me off guard and really got me going. It was a slow process, but I gradually started recovering early artifacts, many from the 1600s. These mostly took the form of buttons and buckles, but I finally got a nice surprise when a very early silver coin popped out. I didn’t specifically recognize it, but it’s probably an early cob. Part of the date was showing (“xx17”), and I believe it’s from 1617 based on its looks. Later another nice looking cut reale dated 1736 also revealed itself in the sandy soil. Some other interesting early brass items were also dug during the 2 hour hunt plus a 1600s nipple button. Not sure how loaded this site might be, but seeing how I only covered a small fraction of it and found quite a few early relics there’s got to be more waiting to be discovered in this great looking spot. I also do not believe this is the “holy grail” site I’ve been trying to locate for reasons I won’t go into here. But that gives me added incentive to continue my quest for this site.

Sorry for the pics being out of order, but for some reason pics are sometimes placed in different position in a post than the way they were uploaded. This seems to be a common problem on this site.

Attachments

• 020613a.JPG
    020613a.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 585
  • 020613b.JPG
    020613b.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 466
  • 020613c.JPG
    020613c.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 476
  • 020613d.JPG
    020613d.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 450
  • 020613l.JPG
    020613l.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 479
  • 020613m.JPG
    020613m.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 455
  • 020613j.JPG
    020613j.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 467
  • 020613k.JPG
    020613k.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 23

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are on to something ... have fun with that one !!

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds.your on a roll.That spot looks to be a great one.keep up the great work.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely 17th century finds. Are you sure that's a cob?

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joeyfresh said:
Definitely 17th century finds. Are you sure that's a cob?

Ok its a cob. I was now able to see all the pic (stupid tnet app)

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, those are amazing finds. I am seriously jealous now, lol. Can't wait to see what else you find there!

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Good post Bill. Glad to see your research is paying off. Look forward to seeing what you dig there. Tennessee digger

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the pics being out of order, but for some reason pics are sometimes placed in different position in a post than the way they were uploaded. This seems to be a common problem on this site.

I KNOW that research is the absolute key to this hobby. But, it appears that as one gets old, they tend to get lazy as well. LOL My taking time for the research part has been sadly lacking until just lately. Working on one right now that once figured may be very fruitful. Maybe colonial.

Anyway, it's wonderful to see the labor come to fruition as yours is doing now. That's a great job all around.

About the pictures in order? I was having the same issue. There's two ways that helped me. If you're just using the attachment function, it seemed to help me to get the pictures in order/sorted on my pc first. But, that doesn't work all the time. The way that does work every time is if you use the "insert image" function of the tool bar on the post window. It lets you better place the pictures where you want them. Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful finds and best of luck!

HH!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt there Bill. Definitely dipping back into the 1600s with that stuff - might be some hammered silver on the horizon. That tool in the last pic is interesting....maybe the UK boys can ID it.

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds, but that's almost expected now after observing your recent postings. I hope you find the site you're looking for, but this one is no slouch!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, your becoming the "Guru" of research for me, Thats all I got time for now(24 hr. watching my 80 yr old dad)
But it does put down places for future looking. Thanks for sharing the pictures and congrat's on all the finds.
Hope you find your "Grail" soon...............HH

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What you have is an 18th C Pastry Cutter/Jigger.
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
Similar above

Very nice silver as per norm.

Thanks again Cru as always. Never even heard of a colonial pastry cutter much less found one. Guess this has to be a homesite and not a military camp.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds, Bill! And yes, the out of order pics is a bit frustrating at times. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to get that little glitch fixed. Congrats again, Bill! Awesome way to get back on that coin streak!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Excellent early finds! The silver is killer! I hope you find your "Holy Grail" spot. Make sue you post all of the finds when you do:icon_thumleft:

VPR

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So nice when a plan come together - looks like you on it Bill

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. Where's the stuff from today!!!!! LOL

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrat on another great hunt. You definitely have the research thing figured out an just as important you have a knack for getting permission to hunt these sites. Can't wait to see what else turns up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions