First Seated Dime 1876-S

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nate and I hooked up with Don11971, Danimal and Scott. Don was our host as we went down toward Wooster, Ohio. Don’s friend Scott played a key role in setting us up with two sites. The first was in Ashland. It was a Demo site. Only two of about ten houses were still standing. In fact, the backhoe was busy loading up dumptrucks even as we were detecting. Trash was everywhere except in the front of the one house shown. We found some wheat pennies, clad and some other old junk but nothing too exciting. We then headed out to an old picnic/camp – “Pleasant Home”. This site was very active from the mid 1800’s until about 1900. Scott has found good stuff here - Indian Heads, a Two Cent Piece, a Seated Dime, etc. Scott also said a buddy he knows pulled “handfuls of coins” from this site – all pre 1900. It was a tough hunt as targets were far and few between. Dan and I both found a seated dime. Nate has found three this year but this is my first seated dime. ;D

Thanks again Don and Scott for making this happen.

Bob

Attachments

• ashland640.jpg
    ashland640.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 592
  • Total dec 26.jpg
    Total dec 26.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 588
  • seateddime540.jpg
    seateddime540.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
way to go! im still looking for my first seated.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's still havent found a seated myself .I like the way you have the coin pictured on an old photo of the site also.

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
kieser sousa said:
Congrat's still havent found a seated myself .I like the way you have the coin pictured on an old photo of the site also.

Thanks - the old picture was Don's photocopy and a picture of the coin on the photocopy also his idea.

Bob

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
It seems (or is it just me) that most seated dimes found are 1876, I found 2 (my only 2) and many others have found that date, whats the deal you reckon??

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
texan connection said:
It seems (or is it just me) that most seated dimes found are 1876, I found 2 (my only 2) and many others have found that date, whats the deal you reckon??

Check the Redbook. The 1876 is one of the highest US mintages of seated dimes - combining the CC and S mint marks there were over 29 Million made.

Don11971

Nov 27, 2006
WOOSTER, OHIO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Mirage, Nate & Dan,
I Had a good time even if I did not find anything ( I will have my day.). I'm looking froward to hunting some more vary old sites with you guys . Mirage glad to see you used the camp ground pic in your post also congrats on your first seated dime, Dan congrats on your first seated coin.
HH, Don

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage...Congrats on your first Seated...great pics too...you;ve been on a roll, keep it up...HH!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the seated Mirage....you guy's are on fire....Can't wait to see the year's end find's Happy New Year!!

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Post! Can't beat going out with friends to hunt. Nice looking seated dime. HH
Burdie :)

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds you guys and Congratulations Mirage on your first seated coin. Sounds like you had a great day
away from the Iceberg site.

I'd keep hunting that site, looks like a good one. Maybe you could hunt there after they scrap some of the
soil away.

HH< Ringfinder

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Coin-grats :D on your find....But I am loving that old house...thanks for including the pic,since I love to see where people are hunting....I think in my next life I am going to be a renovator of old buildings!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread