May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can never tell when a gold coin might pop up! We had returned to the site we had scouted last week, to start our gridding & see if the 'suspected' pre-detectorist had taken all the Roman Coins. After all, with the wide spread scattered pottery, there had to be some left by the people we thought had cleared the site. Towards the end of my first run & less than 15 minutes into the 5 hour hunt - BANG - 1825 Gold Half-Sovereign.:headbang: This was right after a large 1st C AD Roman Brooch:icon_thumright:

As 3 hours past & we had no Roman Coins it began to dawn on us that this is not like any of our other Roman Sites. We then put the 2 main clues together; most pot shards were 1st AD & maybe 1st BC, all the brooches were 1st C AD types. Therefore we seem to have a site that went out of use at the end of 1st C AD or early 2nd. Therefore, explaining the lack of 2nd, 3rd, 4th C Coins. (1st C AD are fairly rare in our area)
So now we think we have an Iron Age site that only slightly overlapped the Roman period.
Our hopes (because you can never predict these) then turned to the possibility of a rare Iron Age Coin, silver will do as we had none the whole of last year:laughing7:

As well as a few Roman Brooches I got a near complete (& Dad a broken catchplate end) 'Eye Type' Brooch, these are very rare & are a European 1st C AD import. Only a couple recorded on the PAS & none on the UKDFD.
So overall a great day!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 302
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 330
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Upvote 18

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome finds! well done.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer
Well Cru it's just the beginning of February and you got your first Gold, It sound like its going to be a great year again!!!
I love the fibulas, and as Hispan says its strange not to have any roman coins...well they will come as I'm sure you will grid that field all the way!
Congrats and my vote is in!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Cru it's just the beginning of February and you got your first Gold, It sound like its going to be a great year again!!!
I love the fibulas, and as Hispan says its strange not to have any roman coins...well they will come as I'm sure you will grid that field all the way!
Congrats and my vote is in!
As I said, all the 5 brooches so far are firmly fixed in the 1st C AD. We only get coins with sites that last into the 2nd C AD etc, because 1st C AD coins are rare in our area, as it took some time after the invasion for them reach us & to influence the trade.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an amazing hunt Cru! Gold is cool, no question, but the brooch and especially the complete spectacle buckle are my personal faves! First gold in february is a good start tho...
Big congrats!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations:occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First gold in february is a good start tho...
Big congrats!

It's a great start, as it has been a bit slow recently, in terms of recordable (GPS) finds. I'm just pleased to get one for this year, any others is a big bonus.

LGS

Mar 11, 2007
Transylvania, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great gold coin!. How many gold coins does that make for the Cruteam?

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great gold coin!. How many gold coins does that make for the Cruteam?

20, if I counted correctly.:hello:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing group of finds, and banner for sure on the coin! Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread