Machine.jpg machine2.jpg

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I am newbie so I don't have any advice for you but I bet some of these folks will. I am learning a lot just reading the posts here!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is going to be a hard one to rescue. Not sure but am thinking it is cast. Maybe some experts will chime in. I do electrolysis but not sure how it would do on that. You might sand blast with shells maybe but imagine it is pitted. I have an old singer red eye. They are cool pieces of technology.
Welcome to t-net.

OP
OP
N

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. This is the first big thing I've found. The emblem plate on it is still readable but barely. Just seems like a good keepsake. I live close to a Civil War battleground and hoping to dig up some relics, but no luck yet.

urbanminer

May 21, 2007
Heart of Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre,Cutlass, Vaquero
Whites and B Hunter LandStar
You might try navel jelly (any hardware store) on a small spot to see how it works. I used it on an old tin lid and ended up being able to see the birds that were painted on it. Navel jelly only cleaned the rust, did not remove the paint.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug old early and mid 20th century sowing machines before around old burnt down or demolished 20th century house sites before, brought one back home with me and it never did me any good since it was more rusted than most civil war iron relics I dig. The others I just left where I dug them, There is about a $150-$400 value on non-dug sowing machines like ones you find in your grandma's attic from the early/mid 20 century. Kewl find though... :occasion14:

OP
OP
N

North AL

Feb 5, 2013
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I'm thinking more keepsake than monetary value. It's the first big thing I've dug. Thanks everyone

S

stefen

If you haven't already, try using a high pressure hose or jet and get rid of some crud.

Now you can see what the future task will be...the possibilities are endless...

When you reach the level of maximum frustration, tie a rope to it and use as a boat anchor...maybe a door stop...maybe even digg a hole and rebury for another MD'er in the future...

Let us know what happens...:icon_thumright:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is an old stove I dug that was in equally bad shape. It could use a bit more Evapo-Rust cleaning, but I sorta like the rusty look.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 416

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Use ospho--apply with paint brush--wear rubber gloves. This product used in auto-body industry to dissolve rust by converting it from iron oxide. Once available at Home Depot, and most likely at some auto parts stores. Clear coat with a satin finish spray.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Restoration is an art not a science. Learning to restore finds to what I call "display grade" is fun and educational. Use the Internet before you try anything and then use the technique on a piece where it won't show. The trick is making a show piece and not always restoration. Below is a 1950's belt buckle cap gun that was made of white metal and severely deteriorated. I worked with various cleaning methods and then used glue to give it integrity. It will never shoot again, however, it is good enough so I can let people hold it.

View attachment 739047

Last edited:

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the evaporust Idea. It does work wonders, but it will cost a little.

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use oxalic acid on my stuff.... started using it a kid on beer cans. It does not eat the paint. You mix with water and soak. you would need a big bucket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread