Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent most of the day today wandering a 600 acre field searching for a very early home site the burned in the 1850s. There aren't any pictures or maps of the site just a hand drawn plat from a chancery suit from the 1820s which showed a spring about 20 yards to the rear of the house. The current owner didn't know of any springs on the farm but my topo showed a few potential spots so that's where I concentrated my efforts. All three potential areas had tons of iron in them but I wasn't finding any brick, pottery or glass. I gave up on those spots after finding a lot of modern trash and headed toward the river. Right up on a slightly elevated area close to the river, I started digging shovel full scoops of brick and oyster shells. This had to be the area I was looking for. There was tons of iron so I decided to search the perimeter since I only had a couple hours left. I didn't find any silver but I did make some early finds.

Found some flat buttons:

buttons.jpg

A nice early pewter flower button:

pewter-button.jpg

Furniture tacks:

tacks-pewter-button.jpg

Some buckles and bits:

buckles-and-straps.jpg

Pistol balls...some with casting spurs:

pistol-balls.jpg

And some other early pieces:

IMG_0622.JPG

There has to be some early silver here and the owner gave exclusivity to the site so I'll be going back there until they plant.

Upvote 7

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think your spot on for the home site lol nice finds!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool. Thanks for the story and the photos.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your resolution has paid off,! Ya have found the honey hole....Congrats...........HH

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man . . looking forward to seeing what else you find there.

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're hittin the mother load there.way to go

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayda go there Joey! Sounds like you got yourself into a nice little spot. Glad those chancery maps were of some use. If you were digging bricks and oyster shells by the shovel-full you may be into a trash pit. Did you probe it or dig any test holes? I vote for that pewter button as the find of the day. Congrats again on some nice finds and a great job on the research.

OP
OP
joeyfresh

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayda go there Joey! Sounds like you got yourself into a nice little spot. Glad those chancery maps were of some use. If you were digging bricks and oyster shells by the shovel-full you may be into a trash pit. Did you probe it or dig any test holes? I vote for that pewter button as the find of the day. Congrats again on some nice finds and a great job on the research.

Yeah Bill, thanks for that chancery link. I've been to this site in the past because there is a 19th century house there but it wasn't until I read up on it in the Malcolm Harris book and saw the chancery map that I realized there was an earlier house site there. I didn't bring my probe because it's too long to fit in my Prius, lol, so I need to order the 4 foot one. I did dig a bunch of random holes where the iron was heaviest and there was brick, glass and oyster shells in them but they weren't trash pits. The owner may not let me dig pits anyway since he was hesitant about me going back out there to metal detect. He remembered me from the past which is why he let me out there and doesn't mind me coming back but I think someone from DHR has been out there brainwashing him.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now thats my kind of hunt! Keep at it and give the owner something cool from the field. Itll go a long way.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defintely some early stuff there, especially the pewter button, the one buckle frag, and a couple of those decorative pieces. Hopefully, further searching will pay off with more colonial relics and some silver.

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
Awesome finds! Exclusive rights are a good thing:) There has to be some great coins and more great finds! Can't wait to see your next post. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread