πŸ₯‡ BANNER Colonial/Civil War site yields unusual silver object

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Last Sunday I headed out to a mixed colonial and Civil War site with my buddy Ron. After five years of going to this place, we have a good feel for where the old home sites are and where the Civil War camp relics are. I like to dig both. Recently, we discovered another home site near the back end of this property, so I decided to check it out in the late afternoon. On the way there, I dug a crusty 1798 Large Cent. Once there, one of my first finds was the 1875 Seated Liberty dime. Then followed flat buttons and some Civil War relics- a knapsack triangle and a variety of bullets. Then I get a decent reading in the button range. After removing a nail, it becomes an awesome signal, reading in the mid-90s on my MXT. I get out the pinpointer and hand digger and begin to uncover something silver about 10 inches down. Taking it out of the hole, I am thrilled but curious- what is this? It's either a dog or a bear, I think. It's handmade, heavy, and it appears to be pure silver. It looks like the top to a cane, but what is that atop its head? Looking inside it, something iron went through the top. Something went through its teeth and one ear is drilled out- but not the other. Does anyone know what this was or what time period it's from?
Thanks and HH,
Jason

Update: This little work of art has been identified as a officer's sword pommel from the Revolutionary War era.

Attachments

• 2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 986
  • 2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 997
  • 2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,007
Last edited:
Upvote 35

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir! That is quite a compliment considering what you've found. Do you have any idea as to whether it's British or American? I am happy either way. Thanks!

Sadly, one reason I like it so much, is because I have a lack of knowledge of this design, I 'think' it's because it's rare but it might be because its a hole in my study (born from the fact these are very unusual 'British finds', many more end up in the colonies than homeland). If I had to guess I would edge towards British manufacture, but I hope someone will chime in & fill in the gap?

However you look at it, it's one of the first ones ever in Silver I have seen posted on Tnet & that has to say something!

(it also has a kind of German 'look'??)

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find and very interesting to follow how the ID unfolded.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Awesome find...my banner vote is in. I would focus on that part of the property for a while. Good luck on future hunts.

NJ[/QUOTE

I appreciate it! I will be going straight to that spot very soon and spend some quality time there!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Sadly, one reason I like it so much, is because I have a lack of knowledge of this design, I 'think' it's because it's rare but it might be because its a hole in my study (born from the fact these are very unusual 'British finds', many more end up in the colonies than homeland). If I had to guess I would edge towards British manufacture, but I hope someone will chime in & fill in the gap?

However you look at it, it's one of the first one ever in Silver I have seen posted on Tnet & that has to say something!

(it also has a kind of German 'look'??)

Thanks, most dug pommels do seem to be made of brass. I took this by a guy who's knowledgeable about military items and he feels certain it's English in origin. Like you, I'm not very familiar with this type of relic- it could indeed be German. I still haven't found an exact match, just some very similar ones. Thanks for your reply!

sorahc

Feb 7, 2013
Jason H, thanks for the shout out. There are lots of good books on military swords through the ages. I have a few and have seen lots of early swords first hand. The more research knowledge you have the more fun the hobby.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Jason H, thanks for the shout out. There are lots of good books on military swords through the ages. I have a few and have seen lots of early swords first hand. The more research knowledge you have the more fun the hobby.

You're welcome, and I agree- learning about this stuff is fun and when you know what you've dug it's a more meaningful experience. Thanks again!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it might be british made (things made with loins were quite popular in british culture (the loin and unicorn are well known pottery symbols for old british pottery) *"brave as a lon or fieirce as as a loin" when thinking of a sword = easy to think of ) --being british made does not mean it fought on the british side during the war for independance however --remember that americans were former british colonials --and many a british made sword or musket were used by americans against their former british makers.

plus looking at it a bit more it the hole for the handle seems a bit ovalish thus more for a sword handle --* (pipe tamper holes tended to be more rounde for a round rod type handle )

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this would be on the banner by now. When will we see another one?

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on such a beautifully unique find.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
it might be british made (things made with loins were quite popular in british culture (the loin and unicorn are well known pottery symbols for old british pottery) *"brave as a lon or fieirce as as a loin" when thinking of a sword = easy to think of ) --being british made does not mean it fought on the british side during the war for independance however --remember that americans were former british colonials --and many a british made sword or musket were used by americans against their former british makers.

plus looking at it a bit more it the hole for the handle seems a bit ovalish thus more for a sword handle --* (pipe tamper holes tended to be more rounde for a round rod type handle )

That is a good point- I find British made buttons all the time, but that's because they were imported. Lafayette camped near this area during the war, so it may have been dropped then. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
I thought this would be on the banner by now. When will we see another one?

I can't recall seeing another one quite like this that's been dug. Hopefully I can find the rest of the sword tomorrow!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well when a brit like crusader * says he hasn't seen one quite like it thats saying something since he lives in england and digs nice british relics all the time -- I think its "banner" worthy

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks Ivan! Detecting in England would be amazing to say the least.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT

Thanks for the link! Wow, an undug sword with provenance can muster some serious money. I went back to the site last Monday and searched it thoroughly but couldn't find the rest of the sword. I did find a neat 18th century buckle and a few buttons, but that was about it. Maybe someday it will turn up.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Revolutionary Sword pommel ...I vote banner ! :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thing is freaking awesome. I started reading this thread from the top, curious to learn what the item is. The pipe idea sounded plausible, maybe the end of a cane, then maybe this or that.

Then Iron Patch chimes in and tells us what it IS. There be some knowledgable dudes on this site...

Again, great find!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot