🥇 BANNER Colonial/Civil War site yields unusual silver object

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Last Sunday I headed out to a mixed colonial and Civil War site with my buddy Ron. After five years of going to this place, we have a good feel for where the old home sites are and where the Civil War camp relics are. I like to dig both. Recently, we discovered another home site near the back end of this property, so I decided to check it out in the late afternoon. On the way there, I dug a crusty 1798 Large Cent. Once there, one of my first finds was the 1875 Seated Liberty dime. Then followed flat buttons and some Civil War relics- a knapsack triangle and a variety of bullets. Then I get a decent reading in the button range. After removing a nail, it becomes an awesome signal, reading in the mid-90s on my MXT. I get out the pinpointer and hand digger and begin to uncover something silver about 10 inches down. Taking it out of the hole, I am thrilled but curious- what is this? It's either a dog or a bear, I think. It's handmade, heavy, and it appears to be pure silver. It looks like the top to a cane, but what is that atop its head? Looking inside it, something iron went through the top. Something went through its teeth and one ear is drilled out- but not the other. Does anyone know what this was or what time period it's from?
Thanks and HH,
Jason

Update: This little work of art has been identified as a officer's sword pommel from the Revolutionary War era.

Attachments

• 2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 015.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 003.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 004.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 005.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 987
  • 2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 009.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 010.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 998
  • 2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    2-10-13 hunt 006.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,008
Last edited:
Upvote 35
OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Greetings members

I am a collector of 18th century items and this is definitely a pommel of an 18th century Hunting sword. After you shot a boar or bear you dispatched it if ness with your hunting sword. That is why the pommel is shaped as a bear.
the hole in it was attached to a chain which went from the pommel to the guard. It did not have a solid finger guard.

Awesome find, it is either german, french, or British.

jim c new member.

Thanks for the input and welcome to the forum!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How could i miss that one.... Absolute stunning find. Congrats on a well deserved banner!

S

stefen

Suspect that the update needs to be updated...didn't see where it's ID relates to a Officers pommel...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well deserved banner find -- british made ---american used ---rev war 1776 / war of 1812 era sword pommel *

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a giant leap from the past to present. A great recovery! Congratulations!:award_star_silver_1

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Oh, ok... I had not seen page 3 ( :BangHead: ) with some unting sword pics already posted by TNMountain, well done...

Still... GREAT FIND Jason!!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks guys! I asked Don Troiani, artist and collector of military items, to provide some input. He replied:

"What a nice find! It is from what is known as a "hunting sword" or a "cuttoe" which is a term basically for a small light sword of the period which were favored by officers of both sides. I doubt if any were ever used for hunting , mostly military usage. They were very popular and officers of all ranks used them. To me the longer snout looks American made , the English have a more Lion look to them. Some makers had distinct pommel lions , and you can sometimes attribute a particular style to a particular maker (please don't ask me to do it though). There are a huge amount of variations."

I am indebted to him and those here who helped me discover some details about this pommel and learn some things in general about swords and pipe tampers. Your comments have been appreciated!

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I asked Don Troiani, artist and collector of military items, to provide some input. He replied:

"What a nice find! It is from what is known as a "hunting sword" or a "cuttoe" which is a term basically for a small light sword of the period which were favored by officers of both sides. I doubt if any were ever used for hunting , mostly military usage. They were very popular and officers of all ranks used them. To me the longer snout looks American made , the English have a more Lion look to them. Some makers had distinct pommel lions , and you can sometimes attribute a particular style to a particular maker (please don't ask me to do it though). There are a huge amount of variations."

I am indebted to him and those here who helped me discover some details about this pommel and learn some things in general about swords and pipe tampers. Your comments have been appreciated!

Don is a great asset & shares freely.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be about the coolest relic I have ever seen! Congratulations!
Nana

christoball

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
walking stick head...came from asia or the south pacific...the top is where a match would be struck before lighting a big cigar...lol...good find...i like the coins...contact me when you want to sell them...or [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions