First silver coin of the year...A beautiful Merc!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Did not have a good time yesterday morning climbing up an 850' mountain looking for old silver.
Others in my MD club have been up there and found some old stuff, so I climbed up there looking for my share.
I ended up finding nothing but 2 pull tabs, my detector and coil was a poor choice because EMI was too heavy and the coil was too small to get the right depth when I turned the sense down, and I lost my Lesche in the deep leaves for 20 minutes but luckily I found it again.
Eventually I came down and just hunted the picnic area at the bottom that has been there for yars, is very trashy and I have hunted before.
THAT'S where I came across this little lady...a shallow find unbelievably only about a 1/4 inch deep, and it looks like it was lost just a few days after it came from the mint.

I have gotten good at finding jewelry, this is the year I am going to try to get better at finding silver coins and this is a great start!

The first pics have shadows from my lighting and it really does not have that dark patina so I added a third without the shadows.
Pretty nice shape for a coin that has been buried for about 69 years, I think.

Attachments

• P1030878s.jpg
    P1030878s.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 110
  • P1030879.jpg
    P1030879.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 122
  • P1030880.jpg
    P1030880.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Upvote 7

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger 27,
Really nice coin and a GREAT year! I was born in 1944 :laughing7: I find it interesting that up on top of a hill there are finds and trash as well. Must have been a heavily used place, is there a nice view from the top of the hill?............63bkpkr

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome merc, my favorite dime the us ever made

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry your day went that way, Great Merc!

dtiger2k

Feb 3, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 400 (Mine)
Whites Prism II (Wife's)
Planning on upgrading both soon, hopefully.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin in great shape!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I am still silver-less for the year.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger 27,
Really nice coin and a GREAT year! I was born in 1944 :laughing7: I find it interesting that up on top of a hill there are finds and trash as well. Must have been a heavily used place, is there a nice view from the top of the hill?............63bkpkr

Being up so high evidently I was pretty much in direct line of site from most tv, radio and cell towers in the area and that EMI was crazy bad so my F2 with the sniper coil was the wrong choice for this site
I might try my 10" coil on the F2 so turning down the sense will still get me pretty deep, but next trip I am taking my Vaquero so hopefully all that EMI won't bother me and I will still get some great depth.
I was clued into this site by some other members of my MD club that have hunted here and are a great group and freely give some great advice and tips when asked.
One member spends a lot of time at this site and has trekked all the way to the top and said the view is just fantastic from up there.
Other club members have found not only Washington quarters and Merc and Roosevelt dimes but Barbers too, plus some other neat old targets.
Good targets are spread out in this large area, and I am not sure why all these things are even up there but we suspect this site was used by scouts or the army for maneuvers and training way back in the day, and evidently park visitors have been climbing all over this area for decades.

Last edited:

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice Merc - hope you find many more maybe without having to climb 850 ft - Ha

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I lost my Lesche in the deep leaves for 20 minutes but luckily I found it again.......Others in my MD club have been up there and found some old stuff....I have hunted before......THAT'S where I came across this little lady...a shallow find unbelievably only about a 1/4 inch deep......

About your knife, good thing you had a metal detector along with you huh. ;)

About the 1/4 inch deep Merc. Maybe you should check with the rest of the club to see who dropped one of their finds when they came down from the hill. LOL ;)

About your great start? You better believe that finding a VERY nice silver dime like that is a GREAT start! WTG!!

Many happy returns!

HH!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks!

It's only mid Feb. and I have already found this coin, a long silver necklace and 2 gold rings, one with a bunch of diamonds that was my best find out of everything I have dug so far.
Gonna be my greatest year ever if this keeps up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread