Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Went back to the site Dan and I've been hunting recently that's produced a lot of colonial silver and other early finds. Spent the first part of the hunt roaming around the huge 150 acre field trying to land myself on another hotspot. But after 1.5 hours and not the first relic or coin in my pouch I decided to hit the area that Dan and I hunted last Saturday in the snow where we both dug silver. Spent a good while there and could only come up with one keeper, but it was a nice intact 1600s trapezoidal buckle. Shortly thereafter I headed back to the other side of the property to continue gridding the area around the knoll where we've made quite a few finds. Things were again going quite slow until I finally moved to the downslope on the back side of the knoll and started getting a few hits. After being frustrated by digging 2 IHs back-to-back I got an erratic and low-to-mid range hit that didn't really impress me, but when I got it out of the hole it was a solid "42" on my F75. At that point I figured it was just a button, piece of lead, or scrap brass as cut silver generally reads in the upper 50s on my machine, but I was a little shocked when I finally located a very small cut piece in the dirt pile. This may be the smallest cut piece I've dug, but silver is silver and that was a great way to end the day. I'm sure there are a few more scattered finds to be made here, but I think its time Dan and I refocus our energies on a new site. And we will definitely be doing that this weekend if Mother Nature doesn't spoil things. But the forecast is not looking good for the 2nd weekend in a row.

Attachments

• 022013a.JPG
    022013a.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 022013b.JPG
    022013b.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 022013c.JPG
    022013c.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 228
  • 022013d.JPG
    022013d.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 14

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice digs as usual ! That is some small pocket change :icon_thumleft:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After being frustrated by digging 2 IHs ..... but I think its time Dan and I refocus our energies on a new site...

Now, let me get this straight. You were "frustrated", by digging not one but 2 Indian Heads?! In a row!!!???? ;)

Well, I think I'd suggest you to not look for a new spot. Probably just bore you to death with all those nasty 1800's coins getting in your way.
( I'll go hide now.)

HH!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, let me get this straight. You were "frustrated", by digging not one but 2 Indian Heads?! In a row!!!???? ;)

Well, I think I'd suggest you to not look for a new spot. Probably just bore you to death with all those nasty 1800's coins getting in your way.
( I'll go hide now.)

HH!

When you're hunting a small spot that's produced 9 colonial silver coins it's very easy to get upset when what could easily be an early coin turns out to be an IH. And twice in a row - that's just not fair!

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're hunting a small spot that's produced 9 colonial silver coins it's very easy to get upset when what could easily be the early coin turns out to be an IH. And twice in a row - that's just not fair!

LOL :icon_thumright:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
150 Acres is a lot of field to hunt! A big field for me is 25 acres. That silver was almost litteraly a needle in a haystack:headbang:

VPR

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That cut piece is 1/8 of a 1 real. I have dug 1/4 of a 1 real before, but never saw such a small cut as that. I like your little pointy ended buckle. What are those two items at the bottom of group pic - the ones with the pincer like ends?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, Bill! That silver is TINY! Shows off the strength of the F75 for sure!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Bill, glad you had a good day out...after this week in the office I am going to need a full day of digging this weekend.

BTW is that part of a trigger guard?

Dan

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That cut piece is 1/8 of a 1 real. I have dug 1/4 of a 1 real before, but never saw such a small cut as that. I like your little pointy ended buckle. What are those two items at the bottom of group pic - the ones with the pincer like ends?

It's definitely from a 1 reale Steve, but appears to be a slightly smaller cut than 1/8 although I'm sure that was the intent. Also, I believe those 2 items at the bottom of the pic are parts to some kind of buckle. We've found a large quantity and variety of buckles and buckle pieces at this site along with an abnormal amount of silver, but the buttons finds have been relatively few. Still not sure if this was a house site due to the very minimal amount of brick, pottery and iron. Could have been an early military camp I guess.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG Bill, glad you had a good day out...after this week in the office I am going to need a full day of digging this weekend.

BTW is that part of a trigger guard?

Dan

Thanks buddy. At first I thought that large brass piece was part of a heavy spoon handle, but after getting it home and checking it out that's definitely not what it is. And I don't believe its a trigger guard either due to its size, weight and insufficient curvature. Check out the pics below as they may help with the ID. I'm also adding a pic comparing the tiny silver I dug yesterday with a standard 90-deg wedge piece. Big difference!

022013f.JPG

022013g.JPG

022013h.JPG

022013e.JPG

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buddy. At first I thought that large brass piece was part of a heavy spoon handle, but after getting it home and checking it out that's definitely not what it is. And I don't believe its a trigger guard either due to its size, weight and insufficient curvature. Check out the pics below as they may help with the ID. I'm also adding a pic comparing the tiny silver I dug yesterday with a standard 90-deg wedge piece. Big difference!

View attachment 745420

View attachment 745421

View attachment 745422

View attachment 745423

Bill,
I disagree entirely man. That is a part to a trigger guard, it is bent "away from the curve," but I can see on the outside the portion with would extend up the stock as a brace. It looks similar to that or a Brown Bess, though could be a tad small. It could easily be from a hunting rifle (kentucky, PA, etc.) as they had slightly thinner brass guards, or from an early pistol. Keep in mind I have pulled two brown bess sized balls from that site in two trips as well as a part to an escutcheon.

Dan

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one little gem of a cut silver piece there! Plenty of other nice finds too!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting