Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid 1800's Site is Hiding the Amazing Finds From Me

Well, I bought the Ace 250, had a couple finds that I was excited about and have been going to the site a couple times a week ever since. After the 1945 Mercury Dime, I dug my first square nail, not exciting for most but I had heard of them but had never held one in my hands. LOL after 3 or 4 I was starting the curse the square nails. Everytime I go now I am sure to dig several up, as a matter of fact I am beginning to feel like the Church should pay me for cleaning out so much junk :laughing7: I have found many more nails than I showed here, i think most of them are actually horse shoe nails and I am finding them at the bottom of the front door steps, so I am guessing there used to be a place the teather the horses up in that area and the horse may have pawed at the ground and nails fell out?

The piece of plate has no other marking that I can see other than the roof of the house and trees (I actually kind of like the plate item), I only found this because I had a target hit that was just below it and the plate was maybe 1 inch above the nail that the detector found.

The cap thing (just left of the plate and below the hoe blade) I am not sure, I was curious if this was an old crown royal cap but the mark in the center has me confused, but the crown kind of stands out. I am not sure about the blob of metal or rock, the 250 goes nuts over it as does the pin pointer, there is a small rust spot but it is not magnetic at all and weighs right around 20grams. The Hoe blade and what I am guessing is an old mower blade or something like that came from different parts of the yard but about the same depth 4 or 5 inches.

The rest of the stuff I am clueless.

I am still having a hard time learning all the tones and beeps as this site is completely covered with iron, so I do not use the All metal mode anymore, I am having nightmares about square nails at this point. I know I am not going to find the Holy Grail everytime I go out and dont expect or want to. I am guessing all these finds will make the good ones all the better. Any tips or hints for hunting a site this covered with metal would be awesome.

039.jpg 043.jpg 045.jpg 046.jpg 047.jpg 050.jpg 051.jpg 052.jpg

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 4

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I could suggest would be to study the different sounds it makes at home. Using different items, you should be able to train your ear to discern the difference between the metals. Doesn't the ACE have an "Iron Audio" mode? Try experimenting with it on and off, at home. Also try putting combinations together for practice. Such as a nail and a silver coin near to each other and see how the detector reacts. Move the items around to see what difference the positions make.

All in all, it takes time to learn your machine. The better you do that, the better you will find. No matter what machine.

Keep at it.

HH!

OP
OP
Gestus

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I could suggest would be to study the different sounds it makes at home. Using different items, you should be able to train your ear to discern the difference between the metals. Doesn't the ACE have an "Iron Audio" mode? Try experimenting with it on and off, at home. Also try putting combinations together for practice. Such as a nail and a silver coin near to each other and see how the detector reacts. Move the items around to see what difference the positions make.

All in all, it takes time to learn your machine. The better you do that, the better you will find. No matter what machine.

Keep at it.

HH!

WADIFIND, I had not thought about trying to to have multiple objects near each other to see how it reads, i will have to try that. I have been doing tests in the back yard with modern coins, nails and the only silver coin that I have ever had. I did read to use the ACE 250 in relic mode as that mode only drops Iron and nothing else. It does take time to learn the sounds and I am nowhere near good at it yet, but some of the stuff I have been finding showed as a Nickle, the singal was strong and never bounced around on me.

I am loving the new hobby and nowhere near annoyed yet, but oneday it will actually be a nickle 8) Now I just need the dang weather to work with me so I can get back out. Allday today it has been a little cloudy but nothing bad> here it is a few minutes before I can leave to have some fun and it is Flurries and rain mix. UGH!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WADIFIND, I had not thought about trying to to have multiple objects near each other to see how it reads, i will have to try that. I have been doing tests in the back yard with modern coins, nails and the only silver coin that I have ever had. I did read to use the ACE 250 in relic mode as that mode only drops Iron and nothing else. It does take time to learn the sounds and I am nowhere near good at it yet, but some of the stuff I have been finding showed as a Nickle, the singal was strong and never bounced around on me.

I am loving the new hobby and nowhere near annoyed yet, but oneday it will actually be a nickle 8) Now I just need the dang weather to work with me so I can get back out. Allday today it has been a little cloudy but nothing bad> here it is a few minutes before I can leave to have some fun and it is Flurries and rain mix. UGH!

The mixed signal thing is good practice. Here's two more things to think about. When iron is discriminated out, it could take away some good stuff too. Like, sometimes, there might be a nail above and to the side of the coin. It might reject the iron and not see the coin.

The other thing is to pay attention to the difference in sound between the regular swing and the pin pointing swing. I've found that if the sound get's louder it's a good sign.

Good luck!

HH!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep pounding that site as much as you can, you'll eventually get to the deeper stuff,meant wait to see your next finds!

OP
OP
Gestus

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i went back after work yesterday despite the fact that it had rained/snowed. I slowed myself down, not that i was rushing myself before... I just went even slower. First hit was some sort of round object hollow on one side and completely packed with dirt. Next, finally a coin! It looks like a 1995 penny that decided to fight a lawnmower. A few steps later i dug a 1942 wheat penny in what seems to be really good shape, just one small green tarnished looking area on the tails side not sure if I should clean or shine the penny. I was told it ruins the value but i don't plan to ever get rid of it.

After that I only tried a couple more hits before the freezing rain started to fall again. The penny is now the oldest coin that i have found with this detector. Thanks for the tips! As far as i know and how badly filled with junk this area is I don't think anyone else has really beat this location very much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions