Enfields with box plugs???

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, dug these this past fall along with some minnies, musket balls and two halves of a cannon ball, also found the under plug for the cannon ball in what appeared as a small skirmish site. My question is, what were the wood box plugs for??? Thx for any input and HH!!

001.JPG

Upvote 1

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told the plug was to act as a wedge and help force the rear of the bullet into the rifling. They soon found it was not necessary// Perry

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Coastie59

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx for explanation perry!!!

howardgooden

Aug 29, 2011
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE,Fisher F2,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never seen any like this with the wood inside!! Nice find!!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
perry said:
I was told the plug was to act as a wedge and help force the rear of the bullet into the rifling. They soon found it was not necessary// Perry

Thats correct.
You can take a straight pin and pierce the "boxwood" plug to try to carefully remove it to inspect the cavity for markings. Many enfields had various types of marks in the cavities. Good confederate lead there! Congrats

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats correct.
You can take a straight pin and pierce the "boxwood" plug to try to carefully remove it to inspect the cavity for markings. Many enfields had various types of marks in the cavities. Good confederate lead there! Congrats

I would wait for them to dry...typically once the plug dries out, they come out much easier. James is correct in this method, but want to make sure you know to let them sit for a week or so, otherwise the pin will destroy the plug. (moist/wet wood breaks apart) Typically those with plugs are earlier and contain markings, most commonly "57"

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HomeGuardDan said:
I would wait for them to dry...typically once the plug dries out, they come out much easier. James is correct in this method, but want to make sure you know to let them sit for a week or so, otherwise the pin will destroy the plug. (moist/wet wood breaks apart) Typically those with plugs are earlier and contain markings, most commonly "57"

Well said Dan, he mentioned in his post they were recovered back in the fall. So they should be good n dry.

OP
OP
Coastie59

Coastie59

Mar 13, 2011
NC Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, ATPRO,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx guys, takeing a look at them, one bullet is marked 57, cant see any marks in the others, were they all marked???

DirtyMike

Feb 10, 2009
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all were marked. But sometimes they are very faint. I take a damp q-tip and rub inside the cavity to see if the wetness brings out any hidden detail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread